User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Sep-13 22:43:42
Print Post

Re: Worth switching to EE from BT Total Broadband?

[re: parish] [link to this post]

You can't get BB from EE without taking their line rental.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User parish
(experienced) Tue 01-Oct-13 00:02:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by parish:
How can I tell if I'm in their network area?
If they offer their ADSL lowest product for £5 (with EE mobile) then you are in their network area; if it is £15 then you are outside their network area.

£2.50/month for 12 months, then £5/month - https://broadband.ee.co.uk/packages#plans-06 ?
Standard User glossywhite
(member) Tue 01-Oct-13 01:27:18
Print Post

How can I tell if I'm in their network area?
If they offer their ADSL lowest product for £5 (with EE mobile) then you are in their network area; if it is £15 then you are outside their network area.

I've no idea about their catchment area. I pay line rental direct to Orange ("EE"), as the line is taken over by them when you subscribe

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Tue 01-Oct-13 07:27:16
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

Keep in mind that the (phone) line technically belongs to BT Openreach, "the Last Mile"; and that Orange/EE pass a significant proportion of that Line Rental cash to BTO for the USE/Rental of the line.

Any faults in the line are handled by BTO, Orange/EE acting as intermediaries in the process.

About 2 to 3 years back, BT took over the maintenance and possibly ownership of the Orange equipment in the exchanges. Others with better knowledge of that transfer may be able to enlarge on that aspect.

So the performance of your Broadband locally is equally or more dependent on BT etc as at any previous time.

==========================

I have been progressively since 1997, with Freeserve, Wanadoo, Orange and EE for Dial-up and B; and directly with BT for basic phone services until about 15 months back, when I changed to the full Orange/EE contract, similar to the type that the OP asked about.

The "free" Anytime calls and 500 minutes of calls to Mobiles are particularly useful. Thus there is a saving of about £10 per months on the total costs.

BB runs about 14.71 Mb/s DS and 1 Mb/s US; and judging by the TBB Broadband Map, is the fastest in the area, at about 1,286 metres from the exchange.

Fibre recently announced as 31st May 2014, no Virgin cable.

My BB is also on the Samknows monitoring programme; and that generally confirms the TBB results.

Others in the area, mainly on SKY, are about 9 Mb/s typically down to 6 Mb/s, with the odd one about 12 Mb/s.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Oct-13 16:33:32
Print Post

£2.50/month for 12 months, then £5/month - https://broadband.ee.co.uk/packages#plans-06 ?
Did you put in your phone no. to get that? Or are you just reading EE's main page?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Oct-13 16:45:13
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

& I don't!

Standard User parish
(experienced) Tue 01-Oct-13 18:08:26
Print Post

Did you put in your phone no. to get that? Or are you just reading EE's main page?

I put my phone number in
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Oct-13 20:31:54
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

The old orange LLU kit is dead, everyone s basically on a BT Wholesale WBC or IPStream Connect service.

Though BT wholesale run it a little differently, with a much greater chance of banding happening

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Oct-13 20:52:16
Print Post

Then you are in their area.

What exchange is that?

Standard User parish
(experienced) Tue 01-Oct-13 20:57:46
Print Post

Then you are in their area.

What exchange is that?

Thanks.

Trowbridge Wilts - SSTRO
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to