User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikehunt69
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 14:41:28
Print Post

Bright Box 2 - new customer

[link to this post]

Just signed up to EE (from Post Office), on the 38mbit package. Got the impression from their website that I'd get a BB2.

However have only been sent BB1.

I'm not sure if I was mistaken, or them? If so, should I complain?

The BB1 and BB2 are both to me unusable as routers as they lack gigabit internet, so I was probably going to put it in bridge mode.

I'm currently using a very old ADSL modem on my existing 8mbit line, can I configure the BB to work with ADSL, or does it only work with fibre?
Standard User mikehunt69
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 15:05:22
Print Post

Re: Bright Box 2 - new customer

[re: mikehunt69] [link to this post]

Just did some more searching around, seems that they provide a separate VDSL modem, Openreach branded, so I can just stick the brightbox straight onto fleabay, as it's underspecced junk. So in that respect I guess it's better than the brightbox 2, which is also underspecced, as I don't need a hulking great router acting in bridge mode when I can just have a little modem instead.

I assume there's no settings I need to wipe from the router before selling it?
Standard User Zak_
(member) Wed 13-Nov-13 15:07:24
Print Post

From EE website:

()New Router exclusively available to new EE fibre broadband customers
and existing EE standard broadband customers upgrading to our 76Mb/sec plan.
*Half price for 3 months then from £25 a month. Hurry offer ends 27th November. Includes £5.00 a month discount for EE, T-Mobile and Orange mobile customers.

FIBRE BROADBAND SO STRONG YOU CAN USE IT ALL OVER THE HOUSE

Scroll through to appropriate part if not there when web page opens.

Edited by Zak_ (Wed 13-Nov-13 15:14:43)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mikehunt69
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 15:28:21
Print Post

[re: Zak_] [link to this post]

I guess I read the 76MB/sec clause as modifying only the second part of the sentence.

Anyway, I'm happy to stick with my existing router (which is an older draft N model, but a top of the range one with gigabit ethernet and so on), if I need faster wifi for streaming media I will probably go down the powerline route anyway.
Standard User mikehunt69
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 16:21:42
Print Post

[re: Zak_] [link to this post]

Also says here:
https://explore-orange-live-orangedigital.s3.amazona...

"The EE Bright Box 2 will be available free of charge to new and upgrading Fibre customers later this summer."
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Nov-13 18:02:33
Print Post

If you ever have a fault with the service then I would urge caution in disposing of the brightbox as their support will expect to be guiding you through its interface. Though in fibre mode there is not much for them to see or get you to do.

The BB2 is able to replace the white openreach modem too - if memory is working at the end of the day correctly.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Nov-13 18:20:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The BB2 is able to replace the white openreach modem too - if memory is working at the end of the day correctly.
Your memory is correct, Andrew - BB2's built in modem has VDSL2 support so you do not need an external FTTC modem.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Nov-13 23:31:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by mikehunt69:
can I configure the BB to work with ADSL
Yes, tick Broadband Type: = ADSL on Set-Up page.

The BrightBox 2 does have Gigabytebit (Me bad!) ports:
The Bright Box 2 has one Gigabit Ethernet WAN and one Gigabit LAN for a faster wired network

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 14-Nov-13 00:32:01)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Nov-13 23:34:43
Print Post

I guess I read the 76MB/sec clause as modifying only the second part of the sentence.
It does, but you come under 'new EE fibre broadband customers' don't you? You migrated in from PO?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User mikehunt69
(newbie) Thu 14-Nov-13 00:21:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The BrightBox 2 does have Gigabyte ports:
In reference to e-gain.s3.amazonaws.com/external/content/Internet/Broadband/Images/...:
The Bright Box 2 has one Gigabit Ethernet WAN and one Gigabit LAN for a faster wired network

They are 0.125 gigabyte, technically. Anyway, the BB2 has 6 ports:

1 * 'DSL' (for the fibre broadband connection)
3 * 100 mbit LAN
1 * gigabit LAN
1 * (gigabit?) wan

I don't think you can use the WAN port as a LAN port, it's presumably a standard piece of hardware from China and designed to permit either the use of a separate modem (e.g., with cable) or the in-built one.

In my case I have PC, server, and router in the same room and they are currently connecting via gigabit, and I wouldn't be able to do that if I replaced my router with the Brightbox 2. So I think I am best using a separate VDSL modem and my existing router.

Though I guess the Brightbox 2 might fetch more on ebay if I did flog it - I can't find any up for sale on there now though, but looks like the Home Hub 5 is worth £50 or so, albeit that it's obviously more desirable with the BT name and 4 * gigabit ethernet. So the BB 2 probably isn't worth more than £30 really.

I'd have to complain to EE, flog the BB2, order a separate VDSL modem, and it's not just really worth it all in all.

Edited by mikehunt69 (Thu 14-Nov-13 00:23:20)

Standard User mikehunt69
(newbie) Thu 14-Nov-13 00:22:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
It does, but you come under 'new EE fibre broadband customers' don't you? You migrated in from PO?

Yes I am a new fibre broadband customer, however it is not entirely clear if they are in effect saying

'to new EE fibre broadband customers upgrading to our 76 MB/sec plan'
Standard User glossywhite
(member) Mon 06-Jan-14 17:28:39
Print Post

The BrightBox 2 does have Gigabyte ports:
In reference to e-gain.s3.amazonaws.com/external/content/Internet/Broadband/Images/...:

They are 0.125 gigabyte, technically. Anyway, the BB2 has 6 ports:

1 * 'DSL' (for the fibre broadband connection)
3 * 100 mbit LAN
1 * gigabit LAN
1 * (gigabit?) wan

I don't think you can use the WAN port as a LAN port, it's presumably a standard piece of hardware from China and designed to permit either the use of a separate modem (e.g., with cable) or the in-built one.

In my case I have PC, server, and router in the same room and they are currently connecting via gigabit, and I wouldn't be able to do that if I replaced my router with the Brightbox 2. So I think I am best using a separate VDSL modem and my existing router.

Though I guess the Brightbox 2 might fetch more on ebay if I did flog it - I can't find any up for sale on there now though, but looks like the Home Hub 5 is worth £50 or so, albeit that it's obviously more desirable with the BT name and 4 * gigabit ethernet. So the BB 2 probably isn't worth more than £30 really.

I'd have to complain to EE, flog the BB2, order a separate VDSL modem, and it's not just really worth it all in all.

"DSL" is the ADSL port, not an ethernet OR "fibre" port. It's the same as on the Bright Box 1 - it is the port where you connect the other end of the grey(?) lead that comes from the micro filter - see here:

http://help.ee.co.uk/system/selfservice.controller?C...
Standard User ScottHelme
(newbie) Mon 20-Jan-14 23:30:17
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

I'd advise against selling your BrightBox on eBay as it has your account password baked into the device. This will persist even if you factory reset the device!

------------------------------------------------------
Catch me on my blog https://scotthelme.co.uk
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 20-Jan-14 23:45:16
Print Post

[re: ScottHelme] [link to this post]

How's that so? Surely EE don't hard-code each user's credentials before they send them out?

When you 1st receive one and before you connect to the ADSL, doesn't it come with some pre-set arbitrary (to you) creds, something like [email protected], if I remember. Surely, a factory reset would bring it back to that?

Anyway, you could replace & save the creds to any old rubbish before you sell it on.

I agree, that if you don't do anything before you release it, your creds are soft-coded into it, but I wouldn't call that 'baked'. The same goes selling any router, not just BrightBox.

Standard User ScottHelme
(newbie) Tue 21-Jan-14 08:42:48
Print Post

I can only speak for the router I received, but yes, my details are hard baked into the device. This is the reason that a factory reset is always the default first step with support on the phone, when you do it, it will connect straight back up to the broadband without the user having to do anything.

Even if you save in some new details, all the person who receives it has to do is another factory reset. Try it with your device. Change the password so it fails to connect, give it a factory reset and watch it connect right back up smile

Standard User ScottHelme
(newbie) Tue 21-Jan-14 08:47:07
Print Post

Perhaps Glossy can factory reset a few of the ones he has and let us know!

*nudge nudge*

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Jan-14 09:16:15
Print Post

Sorry, I just can't believe that. It's just not possible!
In reply to a post by ScottHelme:
This is the reason that a factory reset is always the default first step with support on the phone, when you do it, it will connect straight back up to the broadband without the user having to do anything.
No, the OTT reason they ask users to factory reset is they believe all users have mucked up the ADSL connection paras. The reason it connects straight up is that remote admin downloads the correct creds within a short time.

If it is as you say, when the new buyer from eBay puts in his creds and connects to EE, whose creds are now 'baked' into it? Does the router bias its 'baking' to the original user.

You say you tried it with your router. But did you try it without plugging it in the ADSL? I contend that you saw your creds return only after you connected to EE.

I've just received a 2nd BrightBox 1 from EE to allegedly fix a BB fault at exchange grin. I'll give it a try later.

Standard User ScottHelme
(newbie) Tue 21-Jan-14 10:55:59
Print Post

I'm on fibre so perhaps it's different. If I put in a wrong password, then factory reset with the long button hold, the password comes back along with resetting all other settings like WiFi SSIDs etc... My router isn't connected to the web, just my test machine so there is no communication externally. However, I will do some more extensive tests, I believe it's flashed in to the firmware.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Jan-14 11:59:03
Print Post

Re: Bright Box 1

I'm on fibre so perhaps it's different. If I put in a wrong password, then factory reset with the long button hold, the password comes back along with resetting all other settings like WiFi SSIDs etc... My router isn't connected to the web, just my test machine so there is no communication externally. However, I will do some more extensive tests, I believe it's flashed in to the firmware.
Well I never, you are right ScottHelme the Bright Box 1 router after reset to factory default, it is hard coded with the customer registered username and password and is all setup for connection to EE broadband with MTU: 1492 - I like to use MTU: 1500
Also Under Status it has my Broadband Username: [email protected]

Also after factory default found this odd DNS reading... I did Reverse DNS Lookup = DNS-28.orangehomedsl.co.uk
My Bright Box router has the Orange logo on it not EE.

Primary DNS 87.237.17.200
Secondary DNS 87.237.17.168

First I used the router settings software configuration backup at, Advanced Set-Up > Accept > Tools > Configuration.

Backup
Use the button above to save the routers current configuration to a file on your device.

Restore
Use the button above to restore your router to the original factory settings.

I did the hardware factory default reset with a pin at the back of router and used the router software Factory Default at, Advanced Set-Up > Accept > Tools > Factory Default.

Do not turn off your router, please wait until default configuration has been applied.

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Tue 21-Jan-14 13:28:59)

Standard User ScottHelme
(newbie) Tue 21-Jan-14 12:55:40
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

So with your router off eBay I can say that I'm Mr *Surname*, I have your password and all I need now is your telephone number, which may have even been included with the PayPal details! If not, it's probably not hard for me to find.

Don't worry though, EE say there is no problem and this isn't possible....

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Jan-14 13:02:58
Print Post

So with your router off eBay I can say that I'm Mr *Surname
EE will ask you for your full name grin.

Standard User ScottHelme
(newbie) Tue 21-Jan-14 13:10:41
Print Post

Ha, they may well now, but, that's usually easy found on the electoral register, or via many other means. The idea is that the password is supposed to be the shared secret. Would you consider your name or phone number secret information?

Standard User glossywhite
(member) Tue 21-Jan-14 21:19:52
Print Post

Perhaps Glossy can factory reset a few of the ones he has and let us know!

*nudge nudge*

Hi Scott smile

I documented this very method on YouTube, back when the device was first released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZCM_CFR7I

Thanks smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 12:31:00
Print Post

That has no relevance. It just shows how to change some burned-in router specific paras. Here we are querying whether some user-specific paras are burned-in as has been suggested. It was suggested that you carry out a test to try and confirm this, not asked how to change them if it proves that they are burned-in. in which case your method would be highly appropriate.

Standard User ScottHelme
(newbie) Sat 01-Feb-14 14:29:26
Print Post

Hi Glossy,

Thanks for the video link, that's an interesting watch.

I've had some ideas about another attack vector, I will PM you smile

Scott.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to