User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Feb-14 14:51:36
Print Post

Re: Does BrightBox Remember your Credentials after Factory R

[re: ScottHelme] [link to this post]

No, a Power OFF/ON within a sec will do that. 8 sec for a Factory Reset:
3. Insert the paper clip into the reset hole as far as it will go and hold for eight seconds
It's easy to forget when you hardly do it. In my tests I had to look it up grin.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ScottHelme
(learned) Sat 01-Feb-14 14:55:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

So it is! I have so many routers it's hard to keep track smile The 30 seconds thing certainly does 'something'.

It says on the link that the WPS and LAN light will turn on briefly, when I do it for 30 seconds they seem to light up from one end to the other and back several times. Is that what you see?

------------------------------------------------------
Catch me on my blog https://scotthelme.co.uk
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Feb-14 15:33:21
Print Post

[re: ScottHelme] [link to this post]

Yes, after holding for 8 secs, they do light from 1 end to t'other a few times.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Sat 01-Feb-14 17:22:47
Print Post

Auto Configuration Server. A router using TR69 can normally be plugged into another line then download the login details and even log on simultaneously such that activity and usage will be registered to that user account. I assume the same for EE until proven otherwise.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Feb-14 17:29:55
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

I still don't understand!
In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
A router using TR69 can normally be plugged into another line then download the login details
Whose login details? The original owner's? Really?

So a router using TR69 can never be sold/passed on to anybody else w/out it impacting the original owner's a/c? I just can't believe that frown. I'm sure I've used other peeps' routers.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 01-Feb-14 19:08:34
Print Post

Just a suggestion although not entirely sure how it works on EE.

With Sky the usernames and passwords are 'baked' into the router and cannot be changed. If you sell this on via eBay then the new user will connect with your credentials.

I can't remember the exact technicalities (it was discussed on SkyUser a while back) but ultimately even though they have your login details the ISP still knows it's not you as it's going through their internet port at the exchange or something along these lines and it ends up assigned to the other users account. So it's safe to sell on a sky router apparently.

Would EE be similar I wonder?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 01-Feb-14 19:11:04)

Standard User huggons
(learned) Sat 01-Feb-14 19:24:49
Print Post

I bought a BB2 off another EE customer and when it arrived it had his user name and password in the admin pages of the BB2 router. I set it up with my details and it workd just fine.

I have just tested this out for you guys.

I performed a pin hole reset and once reset completed it reverted back to the guys details that I bought it from. i.e his user name and password. The routers internet light was flashing orange and I was not able to connect to the internet, until I connected back with my own user name and password.

Hope this helps.

It would be great to remove the the guys details and replace them with my details

Steve

Edited by huggons (Sat 01-Feb-14 19:25:43)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Feb-14 19:55:53
Print Post

[re: huggons] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by huggons:
I performed a pin hole reset and once reset completed it reverted back to the guys details that I bought it from
Was it connected to the phone/ADSL socket while you did this, even just for the last few secs?

If so, it must be the ACS credentials that vimto_girl mentioned, reporting back to base. Would you mind repeating this with BrightBox disconnected from the ADSL socket?

Else if not, it must mean the guy's creds are burnt in; contrary to my theory frown.

Standard User huggons
(learned) Sat 01-Feb-14 20:09:42
Print Post

Yes it was connected to the phone/ADSL socket when I did it the first time.

I have just repeated the pin hole reset with it disconnected and it reverted to [email protected]

Is there any way to stop the guys details pulling through to the router?

Cheers

Steve
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Feb-14 21:01:57
Print Post

Re: Does BrightBox Remember your Creds after Factory Reset

[re: huggons] [link to this post]

Thanks! You've vindicated my theory smile

At least only EE new owners will see original owner's ISP username, but who but EE users would buy a router effectively locked to EE? Anyway his username would be floating round the Net as his email addy.

As for his ISP password they can't see that unless they employ Scott's discovered script.

So the moral is to not sell/pass on any reset Brightbox until EE pushes their Security Update to it and then only after testing against that script.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to