User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Fri 14-Mar-14 12:32:08
Print Post

Re: EE BrightBox unreliable / disconnections / packets lost?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
all I see at step 1 is 18% loss, 45% loss, .. That reads a loss to me! If something is lost up to the router it can never get to any destination. If that's not a loss what is it? Just don't reply as you've been doing that it's not a loss!
I think I already explained it represents a lack of response received back from the router, not packet loss to the router. This is known because MTR shows there is no packet loss to immediately subsequent hops and the destination. If it's still not clear (I am trying actually) let me know and I can explain differently.
Standard User Yiyas
(newbie) Fri 14-Mar-14 15:27:38
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

Righto I think I get where you're pointing - just looking for a why/cause really. Do you think the router itself is simply incapable of handling repeated pinging or is it filtering them out in some sort of way due to it's EE firmware perhaps? I did look about to see how I could flash the old Sky router we still have here - but due to it's make there were no solutions I could find. It also isn't a wireless problem as the results are identical whether on lan or wan.

Edited by Yiyas (Fri 14-Mar-14 15:28:29)

Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Fri 14-Mar-14 16:12:17
Print Post

[re: Yiyas] [link to this post]

Like I said, it is not a problem and not causing your issues.

It's probably by design. You can see how the router responds to a standard ping by opening Cmd prompt in Windows and running: ping -n 100 192.168.1.1

Edited by vimto_girl (Fri 14-Mar-14 16:12:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Mar-14 00:28:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by vimto_girl:
it represents a lack of response received back from the router
What can it be that the PC is sending to the router which the router is failing to respond to that is not destined for the WAN?

I've done your 100 x ping to a BrightBox and get:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms
and as for the ping onto the WAN:
Reply from 212.58.246.104: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 212.58.246.104: (bbc.co.uk)
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 12ms
Nothing discarded there in either!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 15-Mar-14 00:36:51)

Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Sat 15-Mar-14 00:45:19
Print Post

What can it be that the PC is sending to the router which the router is failing to respond to that is not destined for the WAN?
I don't understand your point. The router doesn't need to return a response for the packet to reach its destination. That's how there is no packet loss to the destination.

I've done your 100 x ping to a BrightBox and get:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms
and as for the ping onto the WAN:
Reply from 212.58.246.104: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 212.58.246.104: (bbc.co.uk)
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 12ms
Nothing discarded there in either!
So? How do you know the OP won't have similar results?

Edited by vimto_girl (Sat 15-Mar-14 00:45:56)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Mar-14 00:57:19
Print Post

The router doesn't need to return a response for the packet to reach its destination.
Well then, if the router doesn't need to return a response, what is it that the OP's WINMTR prog is reporting as lost when no response is to be expected as you say? Are you trying to say the router responds randomly to packets that pass through it? Could it be something to do with the TCP Receive Window?
So? How do you know the OP won't have similar results?
We'll just have to wait and see smile.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 15-Mar-14 01:01:30)

Standard User Yiyas
(newbie) Fri 21-Mar-14 18:11:30
Print Post

Right what happened guys:

Phoned up EE 5 times, having to do a line test each time each time they told me the line was fine from their end so I figure it has to be something in my house / my side. Various jerking around between them I had to let them change settings, wait two days, take off the filter, wait two days, get a new filter, wait a week, take off the filter, wait two days, more settings changed, wait two days...

However upon phoning them one day and getting shrugged off effectively I phoned again straight after and by getting a female EE person the second time she tells me there's a problem with the line exchange and they already knew about it - of which her colleague seemed to ignorant to tell me 5 minutes ago while telling me to go buy a plug in phone (not wireless) to check the quality of the landline. She said they'd send out a guy to go fix it in the coming days and they'd phone us back over it.

So 2 days after that the internet cuts out properly with no websites, no gaming, nothing for about 5 minutes. Comes back up and it works perfectly and has since with no visible issues as of yet.

Overall I'd say the female operators are far nicer than the males, since they're all Indian the females are much clearer to hear and louder to hear too. The first woman I talked to was very willing to just send out a router if the problem persisted while the second very easily identified the issue during the line test they do each time I phoned.

The fact that every time I phoned up, save the last, they said the line looks perfect to them really put me off.

Netanalyzr tells me all is green with "Network buffer measurements (?): Uplink 2900 ms" being the only red flag now while downlink is considerably better at 400ms, WinMTR still shows the packet loss so that was a red herring for this problem.

Thanks for everyone's help chipping in - if it wasn't for them saying the line was fine several times I wouldn't have wasted everyone's time here! I imagine the line isn't flawless but it's certainly better and it can now cope with the two of us playing games at the same time.
Standard User sully1311
(learned) Sun 04-May-14 10:12:01
Print Post

[re: Yiyas] [link to this post]

Bit late to the party but I had a similar problem to yours with the Brightbox

Do BBC News videos work properly? Mine would work for a few seconds, buffer then say content currently not available. Your Youtube problems sounds exactly like mine too, making it impossible to watch videos. My PS3 would also sign out from the PlayStation Network without reason.

Have you got another router? I changed my router and now router/internet is perfect! So it must of been a Brightbox problem.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to