User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Oct-14 16:41:59
Print Post

EE launches home TV service in UK

[link to this post]

EE launches home TV service in UK it looks good, I did wonder when they would offer a TV service to keep up with the Competition, also it sounds too good to be true what's the catch, will it require the customer to have a fibre connection to stream the service? wink

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29535279

The service is included in the price of EE's broadband and landline packages.

EE said that the "free" set-top box it is providing was worth £300

The set-top box contains a one terabyte (TB) hard disk, which the firm said could store up to 25 days worth of standard definition content and five days worth of high-definition shows.

This gives each viewer the chance to watch, queue and view what they want, when they want. smile

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Oct-14 09:39:08
Print Post

Re: EE launches home TV service in UK

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

What streaming?

It is mainly a freeview PVR with some nice additions, and then a few services like BBC iPlayer which are happy with 3 Mbps or better ADSL sepeds

Writing news now - was out and about on Wednesday

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User samulam
(committed) Thu 09-Oct-14 12:35:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Will it be offered to existing members of broadband and mobile phones ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Oct-14 13:16:55
Print Post

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

Cannot say for sure yet.

Probably if you re-contract for another 12/18 months

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Oct-14 13:44:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by E7er:
The service is included in the price of EE's broadband and landline packages.
Is it? Don't you need a mobile plan as well?
In reference to ee.co.uk/eetv:
EE TV is available to all of our EE, T-Mobile and Orange mobile customers who also have EE broadband.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Oct-14 16:12:31
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

EE TV is available to all of our EE, T-Mobile and Orange mobile customers who also have EE broadband. You can get EE TV free with EE Broadband for just £9.95 a month plus £15.75 line rental.

Following sentence suggests it is available with fixed broadband alone. As usual confused messaging on the EE website and expect to see wording changes in the next few weeks.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Oct-14 16:31:03
Print Post

Then why don't they simply say 'EE TV is available to all of our BB customers'? What's with introducing mobile customers into the equation?

No, EE being a mobile-centric company, I read it as ...

EE TV is available to all our mobile customers who also have EE broadband. If you, our preferred mobile customers, don't already have EE broadband, you can order it at the knock-down rate of just £9.95 a month plus £15.75 line rental and thereby have EE TV for free.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Oct-14 16:35:44
Print Post

Open to debate, and will wait for proper launch T&C rather than just a register interest page before pestering.

Feel free to tweet them if worried about it.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Oct-14 17:15:40
Print Post

I'm not a twit! I'm not worried about it. Anyway, I doubt I am eligible for free EE TV as I am a rare BB only cust.

Standard User professor973
(experienced) Thu 09-Oct-14 21:39:30
Print Post

First and foremost, it's an interface to allow three phones or tablets to stream different programmes at the same time, without effecting the channel being watched, even if not previously recorded. Taking the grunt of streaming with a phone alone.

(experienced) Mon 13-Oct-14 12:25:14
Print Post

Quite comical that B.T are to relaunch their own mobile service to compete again with the quad-play services.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Oct-14 13:44:19
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

Yes, it is unbelievable that BT in 2002 sold off the Cellnet mobile phone network because they thought the mobile phone service would not be lucrative, that Cellnet network is now operated as O2 the second largest mobile phone business in the UK after EE.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1106248.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O2_(United_Kingdom)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/10/bt_dumps_vod...

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/cloud-service...

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
Standard User Seroton1n
(newbie) Wed 15-Oct-14 22:42:21
Print Post

So do we have a release date for this EE TV? My freeview recorder's on the blink, but if we're getting this for free then it'll save me buying a new one smile

2002: AOL 56K Dial-Up => 2005: AOL Platinum 1 Meg BB => 2008: AOL 8 Meg LLU => 2012 EE WBC 14 Meg => 2014 EE Fibre Plus 80/20
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Oct-14 01:46:02
Print Post

[re: Seroton1n] [link to this post]

No, but you can register your interest on the EE site.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 16-Oct-14 07:44:41
Print Post

I called in at an EE shop on Tuesday, to enquire about this announcement etc.

No more information - and that was after the Sales Staff had a consultation and went on-line to try to find out.
Standard User Mike_Williams
(committed) Thu 16-Oct-14 15:25:34
Print Post

4 HD (high definition) tuners DVB (digital video broadcasting) T2

Quad Tuners - that's amazing

Watch up to four different live or recorded programmes on your TV and three compatible phones or tablets. And all at the same time.

Stream to other devices - brilliant

Use your tablet or phone as a remote for complete control over EE TV.

Remote control - brilliant

Regards
Mike Williams

Info :-
Line: Length 250 metres
Modem router: Buffalo wbmr-hp-g300h + LinkSys wg54g both running dd-wrt firmware
IP Profile = Down 19418 kbps Up 1019 kbps

2012: EE WBC 20Mbps Down: 22010 kbps Up: 1019 kbps
2003: Demon ADSLMax 8Mbps Down: 8128 kbps Up: 448 kbps
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 26-Oct-14 23:35:08
Print Post

[re: Mike_Williams] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Mike_Williams:

Watch up to four different live or recorded programmes on your TV and three compatible phones or tablets. And all at the same time.

Yes all the things Sky and VM have done for ages but without being on their network.

Of course you can stream it all for free anyway but some people want a box to look at
Standard User Mike_Williams
(committed) Mon 27-Oct-14 09:22:56
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Yes all the things Sky and VM have done for ages but without being on their network.

AFAIK Sky+ has Two Tuners and Virgin Tivo has Three, therefore Four is awesome.

Regards
Mike Williams

Info :-
Line: Length 250 metres
Modem router: Buffalo wbmr-hp-g300h + LinkSys wg54g both running dd-wrt firmware
IP Profile = Down 19418 kbps Up 1019 kbps

2012: EE WBC 20Mbps Down: 22010 kbps Up: 1019 kbps
2003: Demon ADSLMax 8Mbps Down: 8128 kbps Up: 448 kbps
Standard User Davey_H
(newbie) Mon 27-Oct-14 09:28:48
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
In reply to a post by Mike_Williams:

Of course you can stream it all for free anyway but some people want a box to look at

Sky and VM boxes don't have quad tuners, and neither can you stream live/recorded content from the box over your network with VM/Sky boxes.

So no, they haven't done it for ages.

Plenty of third party STBs that will, and allow you to watch/record more than four channels simultaneously though..

Edited by Davey_H (Mon 27-Oct-14 09:32:56)

Standard User Neifo
(newbie) Thu 06-Nov-14 12:14:50
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

I've just received an email from EE thanking me for my interest in EE TV but they cannot offer it to me because the broadband speed in my area is not fast enough. They apologised for bringing me disappointing news and promised to get in touch as soon as EE fibre broadband is available in my area.

Fibre is already in my area and I've had EE fibre broadband since sept this year. I'm currently synching at 23mb, does anyone know what the minimum speed for EE TV is?
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Thu 06-Nov-14 13:24:50
Print Post

[re: Neifo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Neifo:
Fibre is already in my area and I've had EE fibre broadband since sept this year. I'm currently synching at 23mb, does anyone know what the minimum speed for EE TV is?

"Everything Everywhere" - obviously not in their records or accounting offices.............

10Mbps should be sufficient.......

Edited by Stevenage_Neil (Thu 06-Nov-14 13:29:45)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 06-Nov-14 15:22:11
Print Post

Just like EE TV but not for me?????

Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Thu 06-Nov-14 15:50:35
Print Post

No "free lunches" anymore.........
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Nov-14 17:47:43
Print Post

IQ at EE more important.

Standard User huggons
(learned) Thu 06-Nov-14 19:40:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by Neifo:
I've just received an email from EE thanking me for my interest in EE TV but they cannot offer it to me because the broadband speed in my area is not fast enough. They apologised for bringing me disappointing news and promised to get in touch as soon as EE fibre broadband is available in my area.

4MB according to Brady in Hull retentions department this evening!
Standard User Galoka
(regular) Thu 06-Nov-14 20:05:39
Print Post

Yes, it is unbelievable that BT in 2002 sold off the Cellnet mobile phone network because they thought the mobile phone service would not be lucrative, that Cellnet network is now operated as O2 the second largest mobile phone business in the UK after EE.

My understanding is that they floated Cellent as a separate company because they needed to reduce their debt. It was part of a wider restructuring of the group at the time.

<http://www.btplc.com/report/business_restructure.shtml>
Standard User Kail
(regular) Thu 06-Nov-14 21:34:58
Print Post

Got an email today asking me to phone an 0800 number to sign up. Small print says, to cancel my current contract and upgrade to EETV.
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Probably if you re-contract for another 12/18 months
Its 18 months. Too long, shouldn't be allowed. EETV terms and conditions.

Looking at what is being said it will not record between 3am-5am in the morning, not such a problem unless the world cup lands in New Zealand. Hmm... Recorded content only kept for 24hrs, not sounding so good any more. Although it is not clear, this may only refer to the replay function in which the box is set to continuously record a channel.

The box is not yours and you have to look after it as they may want it back at the end of the contract, otherwise they will charge you for it and lock certain features. Those certain features are everything to do with recording. Sounds like Sky+, Sky+HD but you don't get to keep the hardware without paying up.

There is also a clause in the T&C saying that you allow them to "amend the television functionality or switch it off completely for any good reason", yikes. They also mention the 3rd party supplier of the box is Netgem.

Minimum line speed of 4Mb. I've been rated by BT as having around 3-3.5Mb for years, when I've had 5-6.5Mb. Now all of a sudden they say i'm getting 7mb (when I'm not). Would not take on such a contract without fibre as normal broadband could choke if everything is in use. Fibre is currently listed as not available with the message "capacity will be restored as soon as possible" frown
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Nov-14 14:09:47
Print Post

EE has now changed the wording. It is now clear you need to be a mobile cust.
1. Eligibility

a. EE TV is available to any EE, T-Mobile or Orange pay monthly or pay as you go mobile customers who has a consumer mobile phone plan together with any home broadband plan with a landline.

3. a. v. Have a EE home broadband service and landline which is capable of achieving transmission speeds of at least 4Mbps.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 08-Nov-14 14:14:35)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Nov-14 02:31:53
Print Post

EE TV: Trumped by TT TV

In the meantime TalkTalk can offer to existing BB customers HALF PRICE Essentials TV, broadband & evening and weekend calls for £4.25 pm for which they include free a YouView box (worth £149 not £300). All they have to is sign up for a 12-month contract for a price half what they are paying now. And for that they don't even need have a mobile smile. How unlike EE!

Oh dear, EE is so far behind the ball!

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 18-Nov-14 02:35:26)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Nov-14 08:13:29
Print Post

Re: EE TV: Trumped by TT TV

Essentials is just a pause and rewind box no actual recording.

EE TV box sounds interesting feature wise but package lacks retail flair other than for customer retention

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Nov-14 22:22:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
other than for customer retention
Yeah! Mobile customer retention! It seems to me a bait to get their vast no. of mobile custs to also take their BB.

Those that already have EE BB are up-in-arms by having to pay more for so-called 'free' EETV by being forced into taking new 18m contracts and losing any existing discounts.

Standard User glossywhite
(member) Sat 29-Nov-14 03:36:17
Print Post

Gosh, WHAT an ugly box. Mind you, the 1TB HDD might come in handy as a spare... tongue
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Nov-14 18:30:26
Print Post

[re: glossywhite] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by glossywhite:
Gosh, WHAT an ugly box. Mind you, the 1TB HDD might come in handy as a spare... tongue
The EE TV set top box is not streamlined that's for sure and I don't like that bright relatively large light (which radiates green when on and red on standby) at the front. frown But it would be useful as a time shift TV programme recorder. smile

http://www.engadget.com/gallery/ee-tv-review/

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/19/ee-tv-review/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/ee-tv-review

Bright Box 1 ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange

Edited by E7er (Sat 29-Nov-14 23:31:41)

(member) Sat 29-Nov-14 18:42:38
Print Post

The EE TV box is not streamlined that's for sure and I don't like that bright white neon light at the front when it's on. frown

http://www.engadget.com/gallery/ee-tv-review/

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/19/ee-tv-review/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/ee-tv-review

I've just had a lengthy discussion with EE's "retentions" dept. I was told "you are not eligible, as you're off-net" - that's funny, because I scoured the EE TV Press Release AND the EE TV T&Cs, and NOWHERE does it state that I, as a BT Wholesale IPStream (or whatever it is now) line customer, cannot take up this box & EE TV service:

T&Cs: http://ee.co.uk/help/accounts-billing-and-topping-up...

Press release: http://ee.co.uk/our-company/newsroom/2014/10/08/ee-m...

As usual, with EE, they like to polish their trumpet nice and bright, and then stand on top of the highest mountain they can find, and blast it as loud as they can... and then, when you think "OK, sounds great - I'll go and get that now" , you're met with some "unforseen" clause or stipulation (which is mentioned NOWHERE) that you are not eligible for aforementioned product, which shouts loud and clear "For ANYONE with EE Mobile and home broadband"

EE's marketing & "retentions" team, seem not to understand the term "anyone", which, for a company with a name which actively promotes universal inclusivity - "EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE", is the height of irony, really.

The "retentions" manager also thought he'd throw this in, after me having asked him if there were any technical reasons as to why my ADSL would not qualify:

"If you're such a well connected person, and you're an engineer and can have any streaming service you like, then why does it bother you? Why do you need ours?"

Flippancy and off-hand comments like that, are hardly conducive to a professionally run sales department... isn't he supposed to be SELLING me it, not putting me OFF it?

As my Bright Box 2 tail-chasing dealings with the bumbling, mis-informed buffoons at the sale dept taught me, there's NOTHING EE won't tell you, when they - in fact - should just front up and say "I'm very sorry, I just don't know" - nope, they'd rather ramble on incoherently about "why", and yet never actually TELL me why, X, Y or Z is not available... they assume you will give up, and not press them for the crux of the matter. Idiotic.

NOTE: I have been an EE customer for home adsl & phone for over two years, and my home line and ADSL is paid to EE.

Edited by glossywhite (Sat 29-Nov-14 18:49:43)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sat 29-Nov-14 20:12:35
Print Post

NOTE: I have been an EE customer for home adsl & phone for over two years, and my home line and ADSL is paid to EE.
Do you not have EE, Orange or T-Mobile, mobile phone contract with them? Which is required to obtain the TV set top box. I have their pay monthly SIM Only Dolphin7 mobile phone contract £7.22 per month, this gives me £5 discount off my ADSL2+ home broadband each month. I also have landline home phone and line rental with EE. wink

http://studio.orange.co.uk/shop/dolphin7/

Edited by E7er (Sat 29-Nov-14 20:58:13)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Nov-14 21:03:38
Print Post

Are you an EE mobile customer? Are you paying at least £9.95 pm for the BB element? Is your connection speed at least 4 Meg? If any is false then you are not eligible for EE TV.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Nov-14 21:08:38
Print Post

Do you not have EE, Orange or T-Mobile, mobile phone contract with them?
Not just a contract mobile. You could have PAYG with them.

(member) Sat 29-Nov-14 23:53:04
Print Post

To all the above replies, yes - I am eligible and have multiple Orange/EE SIMs. I wouldn't have wasted time on it if I hadn't meticulously scoured multiple sources citing the criteria, first.

EE are highly incompetent, and evidently don't want our custom, it seems.

Edited by glossywhite (Sat 29-Nov-14 23:54:08)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Nov-14 00:14:10
Print Post

Just checking!

Afraid it's a tenet of contract law that a supplier does not have to accept your offer to their Invitation to Treat (advert).

You'll just have to accept their decision. You could complain to ASA that a major condition is not mentioned prominently up front in their adverts, but the most that would do is change the advert, not get you what you want.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Nov-14 11:53:23
Print Post

I've just had a lengthy discussion with EE's "retentions" dept. I was told "you are not eligible, as you're off-net" - that's funny, because I scoured the EE TV Press Release AND the EE TV T&Cs, and NOWHERE does it state that I, as a BT Wholesale IPStream (or whatever it is now) line customer, cannot take up this box & EE TV service:
The Off-net broadband service with EE is limited to 20GB per month. Customers using more than 20GB in a month will be charged an additional fee as set out in their plan terms, are you on this service plan and not unlimited? frown

EE Off-net Broadband http://e-gain.s3.amazonaws.com/external/content/Ts%2...

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Nov-14 15:43:21
Print Post

No, there's an Unlimted usage Off-Net product as well: EE Traffic Management Policy for EE Unlimited Off Net Broadband

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 30-Nov-14 15:44:19)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Dec-14 09:54:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
No, there's an Unlimted usage Off-Net product as well: EE Traffic Management Policy for EE Unlimited Off Net Broadband
How do we know if we are on this broadband Off-Net product or not and what is this Off-Net product? frown

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Dec-14 14:33:33
Print Post

It should tell you in your Member's Centre & in your bills.

It's what it says it is, a unlimited usage allowance product that is off EE's Network.

Standard User Kail
(regular) Tue 09-Dec-14 19:12:19
Print Post

[re: Kail] [link to this post]

Installed my EE TV box earlier today, very happy with it so far. Along with new Brightbox router, yes they sent me a new router as well. I'm running it on ADSL 2+.

The ability for the connected TV and 3 mobile devices to watch live or recorded TV totally independently on each has already been useful today. The wife watching one show whilst in the kitchen and myself watching another in HD on the main TV. Another tablet showing another show. Easy interface and smooth fluid menus on box and app. Got it connected via ethernet, although it has Wi-Fi capability as well.

I've noticed some complaining of bugs in the mobile app but I've not come across any real problems yet, although moving the slider to go to an earlier part of a programme is a bit awkward. Fingers too wide to be to precise. Apart from that the mobile app is really easy to use.

I could not however play HD live or recorded to my mobile devices. I get the message "Sorry. HD channel can't be shown on this device". Not sure if that is a limitation of the current app or just the mobile device.

The bright green light on the front of the box is a bit annoying, reminds me of the rather bright blue "Sky" light on the front of those Thompson satellite boxes. The green light flashes along with a little light on the remote every time you press a key. Other than that light there is no indication that the box is doing anything, it gets on with recording and play back without as much as a blink or flash.

Pretty obvious this box is aimed at EE mobile users with multiple devices (& users) in the house. Not a fan of tying everything together but EE TV is obviously supposed to be an aditional perk of having landline, broadband & mobile with EE.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to