User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Nov-15 15:45:28
Print Post

Re: End of my tether with EE

[re: hairybarsteward] [link to this post]

If the ramp up of SNR and you resetting the modem is in a short time frame (e.g. under a day) then this is not the DLM but standard behaviour for ADSL services).

The modem sees lots of noise, drops line, renegotiaties and connects at slower speed, the noise goes away so the margins improve, but the router will ONLY use that extra margin now if you manually restart it.

if it was the DLM you would be waiting 1 to 2 weeks or more before it decided to relent and hand back the margin.

Dusk is important as interfering AM radio signals travel further once the sun has set which can increase the noise floor and make something that was just about stable in daylight become unstable. Use of a master socket filter and a trying different modem hardware to handle the noise issue can help (i.e. some modems will suffer more errors without dropping the line, which if the noise is short duration can be better).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User hairybarsteward
(learned) Tue 24-Nov-15 13:57:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi there, thanks for the reply. The ramp up usually occurs 3 days to a week after reset, sometimes longer. The signal always drops at dusk, yet no Openreach engineer can be bothered to be here when it does. The last engineer visit consisted of me turning off every socket in the house then powering on one by one and looking for CRC errors, all my equipment has been proven as non disruptive. The socket is an engineer fitted master socket filter and the property is only around 6 years old, no other neighbours in my block have fixed line Broadband as they either don't want the terrible speeds that this area suffers and use dongles or they just aren't interested in having the internet. I have tried Netgear,Belkin, Orange and TP-Link routers, settling with a W8970 as this works best for me, it certainly knocks the spots off the garbage provided by EE. Long and short of it is that between EE and Openreach the level of service has been non existent. Any Engineers that attend are now getting to the point that they are embarrassed to be there as nothing is being communicated between the 2 companies. EE even provided BT with a contact number that was 4 years out of date, kind of says it all really.

Live fast, Die ...Auld!!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 25-Nov-15 02:30:09
Print Post

[re: jwo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jwo:
DATA RATE INFORMATION
Upstream 540 (Kbps)
Downstream 283 (Kbps)
You should be syncing at about 4 Meg instead of the 283 K that you are. The reason you are not is that the DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line, the lowest of these Banded Profiles. You need to call EE to reset the DLM in order to remove any banding. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to