User comments on ISPs
  >> EE (Everything Everywhere) and Orange

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Wed 30-Dec-15 08:22:28
Print Post

Re: What are EEs throttling speeds?

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Have you seen any OR staff or contractors pulling out "old copper cable" en-masse or even individually, after an upgrade involving "Fibre"?

Taking FTTC/VDSL upgrades (which are the vast majority involving Fibre), the existing copper cable (plus the new double copper links between the PCP and the FTTC, are essential for maintaining the "traditional" phone services; and also that length from FTTC via PCP to your house particularly so for delivering the VDSL.

Additionally, the majority of the existing phone wiring is carried from the exchange to the PCP by multi-way cables, something like 100 pairs, so to unthread one specific pair for removal is well-nigh impossible.

And at the most recent BT Report I am aware of, on average only 21% of users to whom it is available, 80 to 90%, have actually upgraded to a Fibre product.

So very far from "we are all now on Fibre where Fibre is available!"

-----------------------------

Observation of "my" FTTC (10 Metres from front door) and PCP (50 Metres) apparently confirms those figures.

288 VDSL "lines" pottentially available in FTTC

96 with Filter Links actually in place in the FTTC, so "immediately available for use", subject to any other required, remote action.

About 300 existing "old copper" lines in the PCP, extrapolated from Postcode coverage, at very most, only up to 96 Users have upgraded to VDSL

Originally only 48 Filter/Links were fitted in the FTTC, with another 48 added in June 2015.

The FTTC has been operational since March 2014.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Dec-15 19:21:48
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Yes, my "old copper cable" is good enough for 20 Meg ADSL and I need it for my phone calls. So, why go to Fibre for more dosh? Please Mr. OR, don't pull it out.

All BB Terms can be found in the doc. called "Home Network T&Cs", but it hasn't changed recently. For EE TM is defined in those KFIs linked earlier. As I told you in the 1st reply to this thread, TM had been completely removed from all "On-net" connections.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User humza_jackson
(newbie) Sat 02-Jan-16 05:23:30
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Oh, I thought on/offnet meant the type of content I was accessing (i.e. whether on the Web or P2P etc).

I've just searched my exchange and it seems to be this one (Gypsy Hill) - https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSGIP

I'm not sure what this means in terms of being on-net or off-net though..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sat 02-Jan-16 10:47:12
Print Post

[re: humza_jackson] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by humza_jackson:
Oh, I thought on/offnet meant the type of content I was accessing (i.e. whether on the Web or P2P etc).

I've just searched my exchange and it seems to be this one (Gypsy Hill) - https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSGIP

I'm not sure what this means in terms of being on-net or off-net though..
Gipsy Hill LSGIP - Ofcom Classification Market 3. Four or more 'principal' operators provide broadband services at this exchange. Service in this area has been deregulated! The exchange will be on-net being market 3.

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box 1 ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Jan-16 18:29:09
Print Post

[re: humza_jackson] [link to this post]

EE's "On/Off-Net" is a matter of history of where Orange once had its LLU. You're OK; Gipsy Hill is "On-Net".

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 02-Jan-16 18:29:39)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to