Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Gzero
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-12 01:20:00
Print Post

Re: 2012 is here so what you interested in Game Wise ?

[re: SamsonUK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SamsonUK:
I tried WoW a long while ago and never even made level 20. The immersion in TOR is fantastic, it's the first game in an age that I haven't instantly turned off the music in!

Cataclysm did make WoW more exciting, less grindy feeling. But I've since given up on all mmo's, if I'm going to sink soo much time into a game for story, then I better be able to play it when I want for as long as I want with as little grief as possible. If I'm wanting to play a big rpg with other players, plenty of mmo's are turning to the play for free model that I can choose from (tried out champions over xmas, thought it was too bad and kind of nice to fly around in).

I'm hoping you aren't in the same boat as those that were 'trying' to play the FF mmo. Thankfully the dev's decided not to charge for that experience.
Standard User SamsonUK
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-12 12:00:23
Print Post

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Gzero:
plenty of mmo's are turning to the play for free model

Yeah, but how long will they last like that? There's only so much free content you can give away. I've tried a few free to play games now and most of them really require you to put in money for the extra content/gear that puts you on a level playing field with other players (EA games especially), other wise they just get stale really quick.

I guess you can just rely on others to buy the rubbish they throw at you, but if there are too many free loaders they do what they did in BFH and give you an incentive to buy kit to be able to compete properly.

The price of almost all the items in free to play games is outrageous, there's people that spend twice what a monthly sub would have been to buy pretty pixels. It's just weird imo!

Nope, give me monthly subs every time.
Standard User Gzero
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Jan-12 02:04:55
Print Post

Just saying, LoL doesn't need a penny spent on it to make you competitive. Yet they are proving highly popular.

(Ok it's not a true mmo, but there is persistent accounts and lots of servers to be looked after)

Wish they would bring down the price of the subs.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SamsonUK
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Jan-12 11:37:03
Print Post

It's not only the competitive side of things, it's the total cost for the whole game as well. I read somewhere that if you were to buy every hat in TF2, you'd be shelling out $500 for the privilege of content that a few years ago would have been part of a released £35 game.

People need to wake up to this, while free to play games seem attractive, you are being short changed, a lot. LoL may have it right, but its one of very few if it has. If the cost of all the additional content is more than the average price of a game plus 12 months subs, it's a rip off in my opinion.
Standard User Gzero
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Jan-12 23:15:50
Print Post

That's how I feel about mmo subs in general, how does the support and server costs mount up soo much even today when servers are more powerful than ever per watt, yet we don't see any give in fees. frown
Standard User ilh
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Jan-12 09:41:00
Print Post

I think people are aware of it. Yes they try and entice you but the choice is there. Most people get stung because it is small amounts frequently but they should keep closer track on their expenditure...

~ilh

The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.
Standard User Jaxx281
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-12 14:33:11
Print Post

I don't particularly think subs are expensive though, I used to play an MMO for about 4 years and that was £5 per month, I then swapped to WoW for about a year and that was £9 per month. Not sure if this is still the case but at the time I thought that was very reasonable considering when you play an MMO that is all you play. I don't know many people who play MMO's and have time for other games so from my point of view I was spending £9 per month but saving a hell of a lot more as I wasn't buying a new Xbox game every month for £40 like I am nowadays!

Standard User SamsonUK
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jan-12 15:00:15
Print Post

[re: Jaxx281] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jaxx281:
I don't particularly think subs are expensive though

SWTOR is £7.69 a month if you buy a 6 month sub or £8.99 for a single month, not even half a night in the pub.

And you're right, I don't have a lot more time for other games, mainly because I completely lose track of time when I'm playing!
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Jul-19 10:45:58
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Might give GTA 5 another go

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Apr-20 18:44:28
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

How has this thread got to the top? I can’t find the post on the 23rd.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to