Technical Discussion
  >> Gaming Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jan-12 10:17:38
Print Post

2012 is here so what you interested in Game Wise ?

[link to this post]

My List.

Max Payne 3
Bioshock 3
Far Cry 3.............Notice a pattern here ? wink
Cod 500 tongue
Ghost recon 4 future soldier
GTA5
The Agency [Rockstar playstation exclusive]
Starhawk [playstation exclusive]
The last Guardian [playstation exclusive]
The last of us.
Borderlands 2
Prototype 2
Ninja gaiden 3
Mass effect 3.......If i get some patience time and commitment laugh

That will do for starters wink

Edited by time2die (Tue 17-Jan-12 10:18:41)

Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Jan-12 10:48:55
Print Post

Re: 2012 is here so what you interested in Game Wise ?

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

My List.

Max Payne 3. Definitely not
Bioshock 3. Very possibly
Far Cry 3. Definitely not
Cod 500. Only if it runs on the same engine tongue
Ghost recon 4 future soldier. Possibly
GTA5. Not really
The Agency. Need to know more first
Starhawk. Possibly
The last Guardian. Definitely
The last of us. Without a shadow of a doubt!
Borderlands 2. Could be persuaded closer to the time
Prototype 2. Nope
Ninja gaiden 3. Nope
Mass effect 3. Nope
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jan-12 11:13:56
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

you serious...............wink

Do you not like the awesome Bullet time in max payne and the fact that its in the hands of Rockstar games and not remedy.................When have rockstar ever made a poor game ?

Far Cry 3 looks pretty special matey

Prototype 2 i can understand but the first had flaws especially in the graphics department but also was a little bit of fun.

And there are was thinking my matey mrnelster had similar taste to time2die..........How wrong was i wink

Hey matey only kidding as its each to there own and i dare say in the coming months when they get released i will be on here saying what a load of [censored] this game is and why did i buy it.

Anyway time to revisit the game of 2010 which in my opinion is one of the best games of the last decade Red Dead Redemption and mrnelster if you have not played this game then hang your head in shame and go out and invest in a quality product by Rockstar.smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ilh
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Jan-12 13:01:40
Print Post

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/the-best-pc-games-of... is a pretty comprehensive list. Obviously centred on the PC but a lot are cross platform.

I hope Max Payne is good - the first 1 was ace!
Far Cry 3.. I will probably get it depending on reviews. 1 and 2 were both entertaining if not a real stand out game.
GTA5 should be ace.
Mass Effect 3 will be awesome too - gonna replay through 1 and 2 again in anticipation laugh

~ilh

The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jan-12 13:54:00
Print Post

[re: ilh] [link to this post]

Yeah there is a fair few on that list that i failed to mention and quite a lot that i have little to or no interest in.

Nice list though mate.wink
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Jan-12 18:41:12
Print Post

Not really seen much about the last three but I will have a read up. smile

As for the others, it was a long time ago but I seem to remember hating the controls on theoriginal Max Payne.

I bought Far Cry 2 on a recommend and have never been so not arsed to drive around for ages, in any other game. That, and I thought the gun/arm/hand animation looked like something off of a sega mega drive.

As for GTA5, I haven't played anything since the original and found that fun, but eventually monotonous. I'm sure the later incarnations are better, but open world is not really a formula I have time for anymore to be honest. frown

I still own Red Dead, one of the very few 3rd persons I enjoyed. I might look Dead Space up too now. If it jumps you every so often, that's right up my street. Just like the original Resi.
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Jan-12 20:34:40
Print Post

Off the top of my head:

Bioshock Infinite
Mass Effect 3

I finished Dead Space at the end of November and loved it. Moved straight on to Dead Space 2, am half way through and loving that even more

Be* Unlimited
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Jan-12 01:02:28
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

Dead space games for me were class products and I'm betting that many people passed in this department as both had little to no hype.

By the way Max Payne has just been delayed from March to End of May............Wont be the last game to do this either.

Edited by time2die (Wed 18-Jan-12 10:49:17)

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Jan-12 01:08:14
Print Post

Agree far cry 2 was totally ruined by tedious travel and that game quickly got traded so i am expecting a far more better experience with Far Cry 3 from what i have seen of the trailers.

On the subject of dead space then in my opinion its got a lot more going in the scares department than any Resident evil game.................

And by the way i failed to mention RESIDENT EVIL: OPERATION RACCOON CITY Due out in March.

Another one for my list..........wink
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Jan-12 08:39:23
Print Post

Been checking out some Dead Space videos and I'm sold.

Will pick it up when I finish UC3, this weekend hopefully. smile
Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Jan-12 08:40:44
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by nredwood:
Off the top of my head:

Bioshock Infinite
Mass Effect 3

I finished Dead Space at the end of November and loved it. Moved straight on to Dead Space 2, am half way through and loving that even more

Which platform?
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Jan-12 10:14:17
Print Post

Myself i have both the dead space games on the playstation 3.
Standard User Jaxx281
(committed) Wed 18-Jan-12 11:54:42
Print Post

Max Payne 3 - Yes
Bioshock 3 - No, didn't get into the first one really maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.
Far Cry 3 - Loved number 1, number 2 was a bit too much walking around collecting diamongs etc. Be interested to see what they do with it but not on I am particularly excited about
Cod 500 - Not for me
Ghost recon 4 future soldier - Not for me
GTA5 - YES! Cannot wait for this probably one of the games of the years for me smile
The Agency [Rockstar playstation exclusive] - *sigh* Wish I had a PS too frown
Starhawk [playstation exclusive] - As above
The last Guardian [playstation exclusive] - As above
The last of us. - Not seen anything about this or heard of it, will check it out
Borderlands 2 - First one bored me after a few hours. Repetitive gameplay and not nice graphics, don't like cartoony games.
Prototype 2 - Really loved the first one except for the graphics like you say. The premise was brilliant though and I enjoyed unlocking all the abilities, scaling buildings, flying off and stealing a chopper lol smile Looks like it will be better graphics on this and after reading the overview on Wiki I would say this sounds like it will be much better than the first. Much more abilities and choosing your missions as you go along = winner.
Ninja gaiden 3 - Not for me!
Mass effect 3.......If i get some patience time and commitment - Not so into the spacey RPG type feel of this franchise.

To add to the list I have Darksiders 2 as I loved the first one, basically Zelda but playing as a Horseman of the Apocalypse! Brilliant stuff smile

New Alan Wake game on Xbox Live Store, looking forward to that Alan Wake is one of my top 10 games.

Possibly the new Fable, depends how much it is linked with the Kinect as what I have heard so far doesn't excite me that much but I will reserve judgement on this.

Hoping a couple of other games I don't know of will surprise me, I am sure you will keep me in the loop and regular checks on some other gaming sites. Usually every year a couple of games come along that I love and didn't expect and I couple that I look forward to and am sorely disappointed with so I don't think 2012 will be any different!

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Jan-12 12:46:04
Print Post

[re: Jaxx281] [link to this post]

Yeah mate anything of interest comes along I'm sure i will be posting about on here,there are many games i have not mentioned because of a lack of details.

If you check out the latest Bioshock 3 videos then you will be impressed with the way this game looks.

The first Bioshock blew me away but the second never really had that wow factor and as i have said in a previous post that these sort of games need to do different things when they release follow ups.

Because the first was different from most other games it was fresh and exciting and nobody really new what to expect which made the game stand out,then the follow up came along and for some reason for me it just did not work out.

So im hoping the new one will add something a little different,even though i listed borderlands 2 i will agree with your comments because i felt the same ,it's not cast in stone that i buy all the game listed but just a few from many that may meet a few expectations.

2011 for me had many hyped games failing to have the impact when released,as for Starhawk I'm hoping that us European users get the beta today that went live in the USA yesterday.
Standard User SamsonUK
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Jan-12 15:49:36
Print Post

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Total War: Shogun 2
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Yes, I know they are all 2011 games, but I'm a cheap-scape laugh

I'm currently playing Star Wars: The Old Republic and can't put it down, typical Bioware output in an MMO, if you have a PC you have to at least try it (if they ever do a free trial!).

I generally get bored of most MMO's in a couple of weeks, mainly because every mission you get is text driven and repetitive with few cut scenes involved, SWTOR has out shone every MMO ever created in my opinion. Almost every single mission has a full cut scene, the creative work put into this game is astounding.

If you've played MMO's before (WoW etc.), you'd know what the word 'grind' means. They've done a really great job of keeping the grind to an absolute minimum. The Flashpoints in game (effectively instanced dungeons) are incredibly well scripted and sometimes very long, one I did the other day lasted about an hour with 4 people in the group.

Been playing since early access and I'll probably level every class you can to 50 just to see the story lines.

This wasn't supposed to be a review lol, I just think it's that good smile
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 18-Jan-12 20:16:57
Print Post

XBox 360 here

Be* Unlimited
Standard User MrTAToad2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 19-Jan-12 00:43:41
Print Post

[re: SamsonUK] [link to this post]

Aside from Max Payne 3 (which has been delayed) and maybe Aliens, there isn't much to be excited about.

-----------------------------------------------
Good for what ails you.. Follow me on Twitter. Be* Say it with wibbles!
My YouTube Channel Programming : My GLBasic Books
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Jan-12 03:13:30
Print Post

Just to rub it in Jaxx just downloaded the Starhawk Beta exclusive to playstation plus idiots like me, its a very nice looking game from the 30 minutes i spent trying to work out how to play it late this evening.

Another surprise on the xbox live site was the demo of the Darkness 2, quite good from what i played but then again i could see me becoming bored with it after a hour or two.
Standard User Jaxx281
(committed) Thu 19-Jan-12 09:52:22
Print Post

Hi Samson,

That sounds very interesting, I hadn't read much about TOR but you have just summed it up quite well in a short post. I do enjoy my MMO's, I haven't got into one since WoW and I gave up on that after hitting level 50 odd as it became a bit of a boring grind and if I wanted to do a raid I had to be on at a set time with about 20 other people who took the game FAR too seriously. My housemate was part of the best clan on our server and he had to keep Tuesdays, Thursday and Sundays free to raid, that is no way to live your life lol.

Anyway, I digress! The fact that it has the cut scenes and there is minimum grinding involved has intrigued me. I will check out a few videos over the weekend, can you get a 7 day trial for it or anything like that? If not I don't mind paying 1 month to give it a whirl. Is there a good variety of classes?

Standard User SamsonUK
(knowledge is power) Thu 19-Jan-12 22:41:38
Print Post

There are no trials at the moment, too early I guess.

There are 4 basic classes on each side (Republic & Imperial) and 4 (I think) species, at level 10 you get to choose between 2 sub classes (permanent choice). So there are 8 classes per side atm.

The grinding is still kind of there I guess, but you get wrapped up in the story so you tend not to really notice it. After all, it is an MMO and it follows the basic layout that all MMOs have followed since UO.

I'm playing on a US server but there are EU ones, just most people I know who are playing it are Americans Theres either PVP or PVE, I'm on a PVP server and once you are out of the core worlds PVE becomes open world PVP. It's great fun though, can be quite nerve racking when you are fighting a mob and expecting an Imp to jump you once your health is down laugh We've had a lot of fun on Tatooine grouping up against Imp players.

Once you get to 50 there is a dedicated PVP planet called Ilum which I'm told is a lot of fun, but I'm only 44 so a while to go yet.

Try not to read the SWTOR forums, there's a very vocal group of people complaining about everything and anything. They released a patch yesterday which was bugged to hell, but they re patched before 24 hours were up, the forums went into melt down, was quite amusing to watch.

It's still early days, BW intended to introduce more species, more content etc. There are a few bugs, no high res textures, some GFX bugs, some classes aren't balanced too well in PVP, but I don't doubt they'll fix it as quick as they can. Don't roll a tank if you are more into PVP or like to level quickly, it's my main (Jedi Knight Guardian) and its so slow levelling atm as they do very little damage in comparison to other classes.

If you've ever played KOTOR, it's a little like that but online.

I tried WoW a long while ago and never even made level 20. The immersion in TOR is fantastic, it's the first game in an age that I haven't instantly turned off the music in!
Standard User Gzero
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-12 01:20:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by SamsonUK:
I tried WoW a long while ago and never even made level 20. The immersion in TOR is fantastic, it's the first game in an age that I haven't instantly turned off the music in!

Cataclysm did make WoW more exciting, less grindy feeling. But I've since given up on all mmo's, if I'm going to sink soo much time into a game for story, then I better be able to play it when I want for as long as I want with as little grief as possible. If I'm wanting to play a big rpg with other players, plenty of mmo's are turning to the play for free model that I can choose from (tried out champions over xmas, thought it was too bad and kind of nice to fly around in).

I'm hoping you aren't in the same boat as those that were 'trying' to play the FF mmo. Thankfully the dev's decided not to charge for that experience.
Standard User SamsonUK
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jan-12 12:00:23
Print Post

[re: Gzero] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Gzero:
plenty of mmo's are turning to the play for free model

Yeah, but how long will they last like that? There's only so much free content you can give away. I've tried a few free to play games now and most of them really require you to put in money for the extra content/gear that puts you on a level playing field with other players (EA games especially), other wise they just get stale really quick.

I guess you can just rely on others to buy the rubbish they throw at you, but if there are too many free loaders they do what they did in BFH and give you an incentive to buy kit to be able to compete properly.

The price of almost all the items in free to play games is outrageous, there's people that spend twice what a monthly sub would have been to buy pretty pixels. It's just weird imo!

Nope, give me monthly subs every time.
Standard User Gzero
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Jan-12 02:04:55
Print Post

Just saying, LoL doesn't need a penny spent on it to make you competitive. Yet they are proving highly popular.

(Ok it's not a true mmo, but there is persistent accounts and lots of servers to be looked after)

Wish they would bring down the price of the subs.
Standard User SamsonUK
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Jan-12 11:37:03
Print Post

It's not only the competitive side of things, it's the total cost for the whole game as well. I read somewhere that if you were to buy every hat in TF2, you'd be shelling out $500 for the privilege of content that a few years ago would have been part of a released £35 game.

People need to wake up to this, while free to play games seem attractive, you are being short changed, a lot. LoL may have it right, but its one of very few if it has. If the cost of all the additional content is more than the average price of a game plus 12 months subs, it's a rip off in my opinion.
Standard User Gzero
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Jan-12 23:15:50
Print Post

That's how I feel about mmo subs in general, how does the support and server costs mount up soo much even today when servers are more powerful than ever per watt, yet we don't see any give in fees. frown
Standard User ilh
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-Jan-12 09:41:00
Print Post

I think people are aware of it. Yes they try and entice you but the choice is there. Most people get stung because it is small amounts frequently but they should keep closer track on their expenditure...

~ilh

The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.
Standard User Jaxx281
(committed) Mon 23-Jan-12 14:33:11
Print Post

I don't particularly think subs are expensive though, I used to play an MMO for about 4 years and that was £5 per month, I then swapped to WoW for about a year and that was £9 per month. Not sure if this is still the case but at the time I thought that was very reasonable considering when you play an MMO that is all you play. I don't know many people who play MMO's and have time for other games so from my point of view I was spending £9 per month but saving a hell of a lot more as I wasn't buying a new Xbox game every month for £40 like I am nowadays!

Standard User SamsonUK
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jan-12 15:00:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jaxx281:
I don't particularly think subs are expensive though

SWTOR is £7.69 a month if you buy a 6 month sub or £8.99 for a single month, not even half a night in the pub.

And you're right, I don't have a lot more time for other games, mainly because I completely lose track of time when I'm playing!
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Jul-19 10:45:58
Print Post

Might give GTA 5 another go

Life..... It's just a game
Swanny
cool
Standard User mrnelster
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Apr-20 18:44:28
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

How has this thread got to the top? I can’t find the post on the 23rd.
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Apr-20 18:00:30
Print Post

It's magic

Swanny
cool
Standard User dect
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 26-Apr-20 18:08:18
Print Post

[re: Lt_Swan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Lt_Swan:
It's magic
Unsurprisingly it isn't, here's the answer

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/newsite/t/4642943-...
Standard User Lt_Swan
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 27-Apr-20 14:50:29
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Spoil sport tongue

Swanny
cool
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to