General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 03-Jan-12 15:08:28
Print Post

Re: Fallen tree on overhead lines - Openreach not interested

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Talking about legal docs, I'm amused to see the following in the T & Cs linked to at the bottom of the Orange BB Home Page:-
These prices assume payment by direct debit. These prices are available to customers who live in an Orange broadband network area, which is 85% of all UK homes. If you don't live in an Orange network area you can still get broadband & anytime calls for an extra £10 per month.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Jan-12 15:36:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That's correct! They are trying to say that 15% of UK homes are on "Market 1" exchanges, but w/out troubling the uninitiated with technicalities.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 03-Jan-12 16:28:03
Print Post

They charge £10pm more on Market 1? That's extortionate.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Jan-12 16:37:58
Print Post

It costs more to deliver because they are paying BT costs for backhaul whereas on their network they have more economic backhaul. Same problem everywhere for non-LLU exchanges. Thought you were well aware of that Bob?

Or am I reading that wrong and it is just the scale of the extra? Look at Sky. Fully unbundled unlimited is £7.50. Sky Connect (last time I looked) is £17. Pretty much the same difference?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 03-Jan-12 16:40:12
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Orange is no longer LLU. It is a BT Wholesale White Label, like the Post Office. Most, if not all, customers have been moved off the LLU and there is no way they would put a new customer on it.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Jan-12 17:17:43
Print Post

You know more about these things, but don't non-LLU ISPs pay more to BT in Market 1 areas?

It makes sense to me. Had Orange still been LLU they would have still paid more to BT in Market 1 areas. I'm sure their agreement with BT would have prevented Orange lowering their price in these areas, so as not to take business away from BT.

Plusnet, a BT subsidiary, also charge more in Market 1 areas, albeit just +£6.50.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 03-Jan-12 17:35:59
Print Post

As far as I know Plusnet is the only one, and all others charge the same whatever the Market designation. Though AAISP and IDNet do have less favourable rates for ADSL against ADSL2+, which is likely to correspond to some degree.

Edit - wrong ISP cited and corrected.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 03-Jan-12 17:54:31)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Jan-12 17:43:50
Print Post

Wot abat (e.g.) O2, Sky & TT?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 03-Jan-12 18:00:31
Print Post

(Incidentally, whilst replying to another post elsewhere, I realised "Zen" was incorrect. Just edited the post).

I don't understand the question though. I'm not aware of any LLU supplier that charges differently for their LLU products dependent on Market Classification. Where they do not have LLU presence, similarly they charge the same (higher) "out of area" price independent of Market Classification.

Which brings me back to my quote from Orange. I assumed it was a hangover from their LLU days, and referred to non-Orange LLU exchanges. As there are (I expect by now) no Orange LLU exchanges ....

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Jan-12 18:33:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Where they do not have LLU presence, similarly they charge the same (higher) "out of area" price independent of Market Classification.
Same principle, is all I'm saying!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to