General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 09-Sep-13 17:02:16
Print Post

Huawei HG533 Router

[link to this post]

Hi, I am new to this site and don't really know where to post my question, so please advise if I have done it wrong.

I have been with TalkTalk fibre optic now for about 6 weeks and all was fine at first, getting 36/27 mbs so happy with that, now the router is dropping out at times causing a few arguments in the house, a reset sorts it out ...until the next time, is it a fault with this router ? and would I be best to ring TT and complain or maybe invest in a new router and if so what would be the best one for a budget of £50 to £70.

Hope you can help
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Sep-13 17:15:35
Print Post

Re: Huawei HG533 Router

[re: deleted] [link to this post]

Is it just the HG533 that is dropping out, i.e. you don't touch the Openreach modem and its lights show the device is still connected?

If you are all using wireless it may that the wireless side is locking up, if so next time it happens try using Ethernet if that works the one solution is turn off the wireless on the HG533 and buy a wireless access point

e.g, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002YETVXC/ref=as...

TP-Link TL-WA901ND Advanced 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point

Have used the more expensive TL-WDR4300 which is a full router in access point mode for some time with no complaints.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 09-Sep-13 17:38:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The Openreach modem shows I am connected, I use a mixture of wireless and Ethernet, my Imac is connected by Ethernet as its close to the router and wireless for my partner in the lounge and bedroom.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 09-Sep-13 17:44:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by keech:
The Openreach modem shows I am connected, I use a mixture of wireless and Ethernet, my Imac is connected by Ethernet as its close to the router and wireless for my partner in the lounge and bedroom.

So, back to Mr Saffron's question, does your ethernet connection drop at the same time as the wireless connection?
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 09-Sep-13 18:33:05
Print Post

Yes it does, sorry I should have said that from the start, it dropped out once today at around 1pm and so far its been okay, fingers crossed.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Sep-13 19:39:51
Print Post

Looking around others have replaced the HG533 and are saying just plugging into the Ethernet WAN port of their new router from the Openreach modem works.

As for which router, the two fast ones I've used and am happy with are

Asus RT-N66U - more expensive but great to use and nice web interface
The TP Link TL-WDR4300 also pretty quick, but a web interface more suited to the geek than the casual home user.

I would be slightly wary of the really cheap Ethernet routers, unless you find someone using it on FTTC (Fibre) and are getting the best speeds from it. i.e. cheaper routers tend to be slower processor and less memory.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 09-Sep-13 20:28:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Okay thanks, I'll monitor it a bit more and if it gets bad I will think about a new one and report back.
  Print Thread

Jump to