General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | [16] | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Swanseajack91
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 10:10:45
Print Post

Re: Openreach Recruitment/Apprenticeships Part 6

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

I totally Agree, either way im not bothered about it so it wont really affect me when I start properly, I dont mind giving a small amount of my own time to who ever is employing me!(Obviously within reason lol)
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Mar-17 10:17:52
Print Post

[re: mckeo5514] [link to this post]

What if your van was at the exchange and you drove to pick it up? pay shouldnt start from home but should it start at the exchange or first job?

Then you'd be a 'yard parker' a completely different arrangement, and possibly not one open to those on the new contracts.

The answer is that the current system works well. You'll very rarely be in the same place every day, so 'swings and roundabouts' means it evens out.

I used to have to give five minutes (this was the agreed time it would take to travel to the nearest exchange on my managers patch) I have now moved completely out of area, and so now have to give thirty minutes travel. I 'plug in' (pick up my first job) at 7.00 and aim to be there for 8.00. I set off sometime between 7.15 and 7.30 dependant on where I'm off to. Traffic means that I don't always get on site bang on 8.00 but it is clear I have tried (trackers on the vans if no one has told you).

At the end of day if I receive a 'ring control' message (no job that is deemed do-able within the remaining time) with less than an hour to go to my rostered finish I can choose to travel home, when I get there I knock off my 30 mins agreed travel from my time sheet. Sometimes I might get stuck on a job and work on past finish time, this adds to my flex balance ....... sometimes it becomes clear that the task cannot be finished that day for various reasons and then you retain it overnight.

This is not a role for clock watchers or those who believe that they should finish work bang on time every day. But the system works fairly well and provides flexibility for both the staff and the company at various times.

Oh, and if you absolutely cannot be late finishing on a certain day, you text a code in and work allocation will not issue work that that on paper might take you past your end of day.

Standard User Kirky89
(learned) Tue 21-Mar-17 13:17:29
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
What if your van was at the exchange and you drove to pick it up? pay shouldnt start from home but should it start at the exchange or first job?

Then you'd be a 'yard parker' a completely different arrangement, and possibly not one open to those on the new contracts.

The answer is that the current system works well. You'll very rarely be in the same place every day, so 'swings and roundabouts' means it evens out.

I used to have to give five minutes (this was the agreed time it would take to travel to the nearest exchange on my managers patch) I have now moved completely out of area, and so now have to give thirty minutes travel. I 'plug in' (pick up my first job) at 7.00 and aim to be there for 8.00. I set off sometime between 7.15 and 7.30 dependant on where I'm off to. Traffic means that I don't always get on site bang on 8.00 but it is clear I have tried (trackers on the vans if no one has told you).

At the end of day if I receive a 'ring control' message (no job that is deemed do-able within the remaining time) with less than an hour to go to my rostered finish I can choose to travel home, when I get there I knock off my 30 mins agreed travel from my time sheet. Sometimes I might get stuck on a job and work on past finish time, this adds to my flex balance ....... sometimes it becomes clear that the task cannot be finished that day for various reasons and then you retain it overnight.

This is not a role for clock watchers or those who believe that they should finish work bang on time every day. But the system works fairly well and provides flexibility for both the staff and the company at various times.

Oh, and if you absolutely cannot be late finishing on a certain day, you text a code in and work allocation will not issue work that that on paper might take you past your end of day.

Is there the option of taking the extra time as paid overtime rather than flex time?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Swanseajack91
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 13:51:58
Print Post

Do newbies get a brand new van when you start like a 17 plate?
also I assume it will look a little different with just the openreach branding.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Mar-17 15:41:46
Print Post

[re: Swanseajack91] [link to this post]

No idea, I got a new one when I started, R reg it was, looked a little different too wink

Some do and some don't from what I've seen round here, but then they seem to get any second hand ones replaced shortly after.

I've not heard anything about logos changing yet, but doubtless they will, and on the image clothing too.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 21-Mar-17 15:45:02
Print Post

[re: Kirky89] [link to this post]

Is there the option of taking the extra time as paid overtime rather than flex time?

The system is called Flex, and has balances running from -6 hours to +6 hours, if you go above a +6 balance then yes, they will pay that as O/T.

Also if you work on over an hour after your rostered finish time then any time after the hour will be paid O/T too.

Standard User MC31
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 17:40:28
Print Post

A big plus for a lot of home parkers is not having to run a 2rd car and pay for fuel.Also if van dont start / snowed in ect its not a big deal as you are at "work" sat in the van.Anyways i dont think you new guys can work as yard parkers, you "may" be able to leave the works van in a yard / exch but would still have to give travel time.

For most home parking works out ok.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

Edited by MC31 (Tue 21-Mar-17 17:41:35)

Standard User Robmitch123
(newbie) Tue 21-Mar-17 18:06:35
Print Post

[re: MC31] [link to this post]

Hey guys I've payed for the disclosure Scotland. I took a screen shot of the receipt when I done it.
On the receipt it has obvs a receipt no. It also has a case refrance no is that what I need to put in on the tasks or do I have to wait for the certificate to arrive? Only asking as had a reminder email today
Standard User mckeo5514
(regular) Tue 21-Mar-17 18:20:27
Print Post

[re: Robmitch123] [link to this post]

its the case number you enter, theyve not confirmed receipt of my certificate scan
Standard User Firsttwodie
(member) Tue 21-Mar-17 19:31:24
Print Post

[re: mckeo5514] [link to this post]

Did mine Wednesday states in the post yesterday so quick turnaround.
Pages in this thread: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | [16] | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to