General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sammm_
(learned) Sat 13-Oct-18 00:11:01
Print Post

Bonding ADSL Router

[link to this post]

I will be ordering a second telephonee line soon and getting BT's service on it, I already have a Zen ADSL line syncing at 18.8mbps and i want to combine these two to get around 40mbps.

I need a router with 2 telephone line ports and a couple ethernet ports with wifi preferably.
Could anyone point me to any routers for under £200 which has all those features.

Central London EO Line 12/0.8 on Zen ADSL
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Oct-18 00:22:01
Print Post

Re: Bonding ADSL Router

[re: Sammm_] [link to this post]

Bonding or load-balancing? The first is very expensive. The second is more manageable cost-wise. Which do you really need? There isn't much that won't run on an 18Mbps line. (Google them if you don't know the difference).

As a minor point, 2 x 18.8 = 37.6, not 40 tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sat 13-Oct-18 10:40:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I agree bonding will probably be prohibitively expensive, your best bet will be to use load balancing, which any competent dual WAN router should be able to do. I use a home built Untangle router using some multi NIC box I sourced off Amazon, installed Untangle and I pay the $50 a year for their home license - as well as load balancing and failover it also gives you full UTM features like web filtreing, IPS etc.
In my example I have a slow ADSL connection and a Three mobile 100gb allowance on WAN2. Ive set it up so all the TV's and my main PC use the Mobile data (TV's can use Three's binge for Netflix and thus not using any of my 100gb allowance). The thing I like about untangle is you can use what they refer to as TAGS to assign a TAG to a Device (it uses the MAC address, so dont need to worry about IP assignment), so for example I can TAG data hungry devices with a TAG like "WAN1ONLY" and I setup in the load balancing to assign anything tagged to go to WAN1 only. This is usefull for things like Amazon Alexa devices that the kids can just leave all day streaming radio or spotify, and those dont need a faster mobile connection. Tags can be permanent or expire at a time, so I could add a Tag to a device for say 1 hour to use the mobile network on WAN2 then after an hour it flips back to the WAN1 ADSL, if I needed to give a device a speed boost.
So in your example with two unlimited WAN's you could assign all your data hungry devices to one and leave the other for just your important stuff, or you could just set it as a 50:50 load balance and then Untangle will do the work a spread things evenly.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sammm_
(learned) Sat 13-Oct-18 10:44:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Bonding for sure. I like to download large files so speed is really important. I only get 2mb/s when i could get 4mb/s
37.6 is almost 40mbps tongue

Central London EO Line 16/0.9 on Zen ADSL
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Oct-18 11:13:20
Print Post

Fair enough smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. 200GB. Sync 01/10/18 - 71908/13506Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Sat 13-Oct-18 12:15:29
Print Post

How do you download large files? If you use something like a torrent there will be multiple threads running which would make use of load-balancing just as well as bonding. I load balance (also ADSL and Three's 100GB/month 4G), and I can download most things at more than the max speed of either connection.
Standard User Sammm_
(learned) Sat 13-Oct-18 12:42:55
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

Download games off steam and other platforms.

Standard User Rolandrat
(committed) Sat 13-Oct-18 15:11:44
Print Post

Ive just tested a download on steam, I reconfigured Untangle to balance 50:50 and kicked off a download, it immediately started maxing out both WAN connections. As long as the download client uses more than 1 session it will spread them across both WAN's. Obviously single stream/session downloads wont do that, but steam certainly does, windows update does, Origin downloads do also. Netflix will multi stream, most things do these days.
Standard User sheephouse
(regular) Sat 13-Oct-18 16:26:48
Print Post

Steam works fine with load-balancing. The problem with bonding is that it needs support at both ends of the connection - which usually means paying for the far end bonding service. It isn't cheap. Load-balancing is your end only, and so involves no additional costs.
Standard User Sammm_
(learned) Sat 13-Oct-18 17:09:20
Print Post

[re: Rolandrat] [link to this post]

Thats good news then. What router do you recommend for load balancing ?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to