General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RomaN
(regular) Mon 22-Oct-18 19:45:26
Print Post

Advice Required

[link to this post]

Hi all, hoping for some advice for the following.

We currently live in a converted farm building and are roughly 2 miles (as the crow flies) from an FTTC enabled box. Obviously with the way cables are fed the actual length will be much further than this.

As you can see from the LINK, our current speed is appalling.

I see that it shows that FTTP On Demand is available, however I am not sure that this is currently available to order.

I'm interesting in finding out potential costs of getting this installed. We only have one neighbor who, like me, also works from home occasionally, and finds the current set-up unbearable and is also interested. I'm thinking this could potentially halve the install costs?

Any help/advice/nudges in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Oct-18 20:00:51
Print Post

Re: Advice Required

[re: RomaN] [link to this post]

If you are serious about FTTPoD, have a read through this thread ....

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4595298-ftt...

then you could approach Cerberus for a quote.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 22-Oct-18 20:04:32
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

And without looking at a map, if your cabinet is 2 miles away likely the aggregation node for FTTP is a lot further and the costs are likely to be at the higher end of the quotes others have been given

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RomaN
(regular) Mon 12-Nov-18 19:24:05
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply both.

Cerberus have come back with a desktop quote of £3,900 ex VAT which isn't huge in the grand scheme of things.

Now looking into the Governments Gigabit Voucher scheme. Only neighbor next door who also works from home as a self-employed designer so thinking this might be a good avenue to explore?
Standard User RomaN
(regular) Sat 22-Dec-18 15:34:50
Print Post

So, update...

As I've taken on the mantle of trying to sort out faster internet for the houses around us (now 5 properties), I used the community page on OpenReach's site to begin requesting a quote.

Que problems with their systems and me contacting them via Twitter to find out how the quote is progressing, and I have had an email come through stating:

Thank you for your interest in a community fibre partnership.

We’re excited to tell you that when we began to cost your request, we noticed that your already a part of our plans for FTTP.

We can’t give you an exact date yet but please review https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br... regularly as this site will let you know when you’re able to order.

Now this is all well and good, however my concern is that this glimmer of hope could still take years to materialise if at all. What is my best bet? With Gigabit vouchers I'm inclined to think this will fund much, if not all, of the cost of installation, therefore would the best course of action be to proceed with Cerberus, or hold out for OpenReach to sort it themselves?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Dec-18 16:31:32
Print Post

Have you checked the link they gave you there? (Phone number unless it is Sky/TalkTalk/Vodafone might be best). If so, what did it say?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Dec-18 16:34:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by RomaN:
Now this is all well and good, however my concern is that this glimmer of hope could still take years to materialise if at all. What is my best bet? With Gigabit vouchers I'm inclined to think this will fund much, if not all, of the cost of installation, therefore would the best course of action be to proceed with Cerberus, or hold out for OpenReach to sort it themselves?

You will probably find that if you went down the FTTPoD route, your order would eventually get rejected as Openreach already have plans for native FTTP in your area. I believe this has happened to someone previously who ordered FTTPoD which was later rejected after Openreach informed the CP of their plans for native FTTP.

Wrt timescales for native FTTP, I wouldn't be too pessimistic. There will already be an Agg node serving FTTC cabinets in your area so the fibre back bone to the exchange is already in place. Taking a wild guess, I would say expect native FTTP within 2 years as Openreach have increased their manpower for FTTP builds in the last 1-2 years.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 22-Dec-18 16:41:31)

Standard User work4nothing
(newbie) Sat 22-Dec-18 23:00:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by RomaN:
Hi all, hoping for some advice for the following.

We currently live in a converted farm building and are roughly 2 miles (as the crow flies) from an FTTC enabled box. Obviously with the way cables are fed the actual length will be much further than this.

As you can see from the LINK, our current speed is appalling.

I see that it shows that FTTP On Demand is available, however I am not sure that this is currently available to order.

I'm interesting in finding out potential costs of getting this installed. We only have one neighbor who, like me, also works from home occasionally, and finds the current set-up unbearable and is also interested. I'm thinking this could potentially halve the install costs?

Any help/advice/nudges in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Dec-18 23:54:11
Print Post

[re: work4nothing] [link to this post]

And?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests 35-45Mpbs down, 9-15 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User RomaN
(regular) Sun 23-Dec-18 09:28:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

@RobertoS

Link shows this when entering phone number: http://tinypic.com/r/246rtoo/9

@baby_frogmella

Regarding progressing a community order, this is what I thought - that it would get held up due to the roll-out plans.

Think the bottom line is we'll need to sit tight and hope it's not too long a wait.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to