General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User derekdel
(committed) Thu 25-Oct-18 19:42:48
Print Post

8K Television for sale

[link to this post]

I just received an email from richer sounds offering me the chance to buy one of their products, a very nice 8K TV.

I have 4K just now and the broadband I have JUST manages to run it.

So now that technology is jumping leaps and bounds when can we expect the standards of our infrastructure to keep up?
Never?
Whoís fault is it?
Why is it so slow to change?
Do we just sit back and do nothing?
Do we pay the eye watering FTTPoD [so that your neighbours can get FTTP]?
Is there anything we can do?
Is there any point asking?
Will anyone listen?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Oct-18 20:08:42
Print Post

Re: 8K Television for sale

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

If itís that important to you, and you canít get the speeds you feel you ought ...

Move to where you can.

Standard User burble
(member) Thu 25-Oct-18 21:19:55
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Your line can support 4k, well my FTTC can barely manage HD. Eventually most can expect to get lines that will support 8k, by then we will have 16k and already 32k is being investigated, such is life.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Oct-18 09:20:19
Print Post

I would be interested in how many services provide 8K streams at the moment? There is still not a mass of 4K content readily available on mainstream services so likely some time before the average person is going to be streaming 8K even if they have a high speed connection. But then over half the country can get Virgin with headline speeds that would do 8K anyway.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Oct-18 09:44:06
Print Post

I'm not sure a 8k tv (or 4k tv for that matter) is needed to get a great tv picture. My 11 year old Pioneer Kuro Plasma tv gives a very natural looking picture with great blacks, certainly better than some of the over processed pictures you find on the HDR/4K tvs these days.
RIP Plasma frown

Picture quality on a 10 year old Pioneer Plasma

versus

Picture quality on the latest & greatest TVs

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Oct-18 09:46:48
Print Post

Last year, I bought a Samsung 4K TV. I found that for some reason it was not compatible with the BBC test 4K transmission of the Wimbledon final. It did work with Netflix. I was not pleased, as this incompatibility was not obvious when I made the purchase.

Michael Chare
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 26-Oct-18 09:56:46
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Last year, I bought a Samsung 4K TV. I found that for some reason it was not compatible with the BBC test 4K transmission of the Wimbledon final.
Similar here, but in my case it was Blue Planet 2 on iPlayer that I was interested in. (It couldn't handle the HLG encoding for the HDR side of things.)

But Samsung updated the firmware and it was fine, and the pictures were stunning. Although it did need nearly 25Mbps to stream it crazy

Didn't try it for Wimbledon, or the World Cup.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Fri 26-Oct-18 10:48:19)

Standard User PhilipD
(experienced) Fri 26-Oct-18 09:57:54
Print Post

Hi

Due to the extreme compression on video we are in the situation that what we see is usually a step behind the actual decoded number of pixels.

So SD looks terrible.
HD on most platforms resembles something like very good uncompressed SD
4K on most platforms is like watching very good HD if we didn't have the compression, which is why on a HD monitor on a computer switching YouTube to 4K sees a nice improvement.
8K will be able to resolve the detail of 4K and will show us what 4K should have been, but only noticeable on very large TVs and close viewing distances.

The white elephant in the room is you don't actually need more pixels on the screen to see the benefits of 4K, most improvements we see outside of a trade show are simply because of less compression and higher bandwidths allocated to higher resolutions, which we watch on similar sized screens.

In terms of the actual panel resolution, most people don't have big enough 4K TVs to discern much difference provided by the extra number of pixels at usual viewing distances, yes it may look better in "4K" but mostly that is down to the above and more bandwidth provided to compress the video.

8K is a waste of time in the home, it's pure marketing, a way to get us to replace perfectly good TVs using the old marketing strategy of larger numbers must be better. Not only are 8K sources non-existent, the TV needs to eat more power, and if you've also gone for a bigger screen size, then everything else is going to look a little worse. Cinema is pretty much sticking with 4K at this times, but as this is shown with much less compression, still looks good even at huge sizes.

Regards

Phil
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 26-Oct-18 16:44:39
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

My TV has the latest firmware but alas I still don't think it will show the BBC 4K HLG streams.

Michael Chare
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Oct-18 20:19:21
Print Post

Cool.

So do you have the few thousand pounds this 8k TV costs available, and could you point us towards any 8k content to run on it?

If you can afford the price of the TV and can find any native 8k content you should have no trouble with the Internet connection required.

----
Building better networks, not just faster ones.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to