General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User q4719049
(newbie) Sun 10-Mar-19 18:25:12
Print Post

EE vs BT Broadband infrastructure

[link to this post]

Hi

I was considering moving my BT broadband to EEs Broadband when my contract expires.
The broadband package would be 67mb FTTC.

I have a few questions about this potential move, and any help would be appreciated.

Its my understanding, that the Openreach infrastructure from the property to the exchange is effectively leased by Openreach to the ISPs, in this case BT and EE.
I know BT owns EE, but as far as I can see, the actual network infrastructure is separate.

Does anyone know/anyone who has EE broadband, if its reasonable to expect that the network layer after the exchange is of the same effective "quality" as BTs network? Like can I expect the same quality of peering, transit, latency, packet loss, IP address quality, backhaul and speed, as I would at BT?

Judging off EE broadband questions on Forums on the internet, EE didn't have IPv6 when these questions were asked. Is this still the case?

Is the EE Smart Hub, pretty much identical to the BT Smart Hub?

Does EE not have network/dns level parental controls/phishing website blocking like BT? Is the only equivalent service they offer just Norton security, which is client based?

Preferably, I'd like to order EE broadband soon so I can take advantage of some current offers, but my contract expires in 2-4 months time, does anyone know if I can order it and then request a delay of activation, and if necessary multiple times, to push it back to my current contract expiry date?

Is there anything that Ofcom imposes/EEs contract Terms/any other protections that would allow me to cancel my EE contract not just if my speed drops below the guaranteed speed, but that peering, transit, latency, packet loss, backhaul, and IP address quality isn't good enough? Would my only recourse be complaining to the Ombudsmans that the service isn't "fit for purpose"?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can share their insights.

Edited by q4719049 (Sun 10-Mar-19 18:26:30)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Mar-19 14:12:40
Print Post

Re: EE vs BT Broadband infrastructure

[re: q4719049] [link to this post]

The mile perhaps of Openreach copper infrastructure will be the same as will the fibre be to the handover exchange, but the decisions on the capacity to buy and how to run the network from the handover point out to the Internet is a set of decisions that each of the BT Consumer providers i.e. BT, EE, PlusNet who deal with differently.

Sounds like you've read the broadband speed guarantee stuff and it does not give any guarantees around the areas you talk about.

Though no idea what IP address quality actually is.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User q4719049
(newbie) Mon 11-Mar-19 15:54:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response.

It looks like there could be a difference in network quality in that case, do you know if its a big difference? Or will it most likely be the same quality? In terms of peering, transit, etc.

As theres no direct guarantee aside from speed, do you know if there was an issue with latency and packet loss, if I could argue with the Ombudsman that it wasn't "fit for purpose"?

I didn't explain what I meant by IPv6 quality very well sorry, what I meant was attributes like, the chance of the IPs in the pool being blacklisted by websites for stuff like spam, or if theres CGNAT, if you have to pay for dynamic IPs, or anything like that

Do you know how far forward an ISP can request a "working like takeover" (Please correct me if I'm wrong and this is the wrong term), can it be requested 3 months in advance?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Mar-19 16:05:41
Print Post

You can always argue but Ombudsman process only kicks in after a number of weeks (6 to 12 - cannot recall exact wait required)

CGNAT not used on the BT or EE fixed line services (a little on an old 10 GB usage limited BT service)

On Blacklisting if an ISP is served a court order then usually follow them, if you want an ISP that does not do as legally obliged then I suggest moving abroad

Working like takeover - the word you want is migration and not requested in advance, but when you order and generally have a 3 week lead line.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User q4719049
(newbie) Mon 11-Mar-19 17:36:05
Print Post

Thanks for the answers, I have a few follow up questions

Do you know if anyone has argued successfully with an ISP/Ombudsman and been allowed to cancel free of charge for poor network conditions ( High pings that should be far lower, poor peering and transit, etc) ?

By blacklisting I meant websites blocking the client/requiring more challenges due to bad history, not ISPs blocking a website, for example, if EEs IPs are more susceptible to being challenged for captchas by cloudflare due to poor history associated with users of those IPs.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Mar-19 18:31:32
Print Post

No idea on appeals to ombudsman success rates or why people go that route

On captcha - no data to base any answer on

Standard User q4719049
(newbie) Tue 12-Mar-19 09:53:32
Print Post

If I'm understanding the minimum speed guarantee correctly, ISPs are required to provide this minimum speed and if they fail to fix it within 30 days or so, I can cancel the contract penalty free, right?

If this is the case, how is it conducted? Is the speed measured only from the router to an ISP servers? Or would I be able to leave if I measured below speeds over ethernet to ThinkBroadbands speedtest?

I tried to find an explanation on the internet, but haven't seemed to be able to find one yet
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Mar-19 11:53:10
Print Post

I suggest that you ask the ISP's that you are thinking of moving to as the new of Ofcom codes of practice can take a year to come into force. It is possible that BT might supply a router which they could do a speed test to, as I am told that they have these to issue. I don't know about EE. Plusnet told me to use a BT speed test web site.

Michael Chare
Standard User q4719049
(newbie) Tue 12-Mar-19 12:06:43
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response

Would that mean, in your case at plusnet, they test the speed to BTs speedtest? So if the speedtest is below the minimum speed, you could leave penalty free?

Are there any other conditions for plusnet? Like running the test over the Ethernet cable?
And would a third party test like thinkbroadbands be sufficient proof to leave plusnet free of charge?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 12-Mar-19 12:09:25
Print Post

So many questions and no-one can say for sure, since the rules have only just come into play and providers have a year to implement them.

So what each provider accepts as proof will vary.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to