General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bethwinblues
(newbie) Fri 15-Mar-19 23:45:21
Print Post

Exchange-Only line/upgrade

[link to this post]

Hello all,

Got a newbie question (but I've done my fair share of googling and searching various fora) for the collective. I'm about to move house (South London) and the new place only has an EO line (grrr). Using the Openreach site, my exchange is listed as Vauxhall where it say it is "exploring options". However my next door neighbor connects to a FTTC and exchange in Walworth! I seem to be the only house nearby in this position. Is there any way to raise a ticket with Openreach to change my connection?

Or do I just have to wait....?

Thanks!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Mar-19 00:18:43
Print Post

Re: Exchange-Only line/upgrade

[re: bethwinblues] [link to this post]

Did you use the Address option of this checker, or some other? (There is a prettier version from BT Wholesale that seems to give identical results).

Openreach sites are useful for forecasts. This site is definitive for existing availability.

Use the Address option, only in desperation the Postcode one. I assume you don't know the current phone number - that is best of all unless it is Sky, TalkTalk, or other "LLU".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 16-Mar-19 00:19:36)

(newbie) Sat 16-Mar-19 00:30:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hello RobertoS,

Thanks for the reply: I used this openreach website https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-br...

But I just tried your link too (cheers) and it comes up with essentially the same information - an ADSL 2+ service with 8/1 MBit UL/DL. I've now manged to find a web-form to contact openreach - Guess I'll see what they say!

A quick search in google maps shows me that all the properties nearby go to Walworth exchange and different FTTC cabinets (30, 55, 56 are all listed). Seems my new place is something of an island - I'm not sure how they'd handle that as it's not like a large cluster of customers would get together and approach them, it's just me!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 16-Mar-19 00:45:25
Print Post

A useful variant is to use the link I gave you, go to the Address option, then enter just the post code and click "Return".

That gives you a dropdown list of all properties with that postcode, and you can check each one.

In the case of what looks like a database error there, MrSaffron can be very helpful. He can point it out to useful contacts and get it corrected.

A common problem which may or may not apply to your intended premises, I cannot know, is where it is the show house of a new development. That often gets a line that is routed differently from the rest of the estate, if a new PCP (phone cabinet) is installed to supply that estate.

If you are moving to such a premises then you have a possibly expensive solution. It's called a Network Rearrangement, to move that address to the new cabinet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
(newbie) Sat 16-Mar-19 00:54:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Excellent advice - many thanks for your help again.

Doing a bit more digging suggests this property is indeed something of an outlier. It's new-ish, but I think was added at a different time to the surrounding houses. So perhaps not the show home but I wonder if the line it has was an original EO line that connected to much older building that was originally on the site, and the other properties were connected differently? Guessing, of course.

So yes, an annoying situation. I'll mull it over and and inquire, in due course, with Openreach to see if if Network Rearrangement is an option... I guess.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Mar-19 06:18:08
Print Post

Little islands like this usually exist for a historic reason and to be honest if it is a single property then unlikely to be resolved in the next year or two.

On exchanges announced as part of the Fibre First scheme (which those two are not) I'd be more confident about something happening, but would suggest in your case the exploring solutions means more like 5 years away or longer

For fast broadband have you checked Virgin Media or failing that 4G options

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Sat 16-Mar-19 08:30:11
Print Post

Can you see any obvious network when you look at the house?

I assume it is fed by an underground cable?

If you are fed by a pole though and that pole is the same one feeding your neighbours then clearly the checkers are incorrect.

With underground feeds itís harder to tell whatís going on.

Icaras
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Mar-19 12:06:07
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

While the general logic may work like that, there can be quirks that while on the same pole further down the road their line goes another way...

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sat 16-Mar-19 12:23:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I've learned more about network infrastructure in the last 24 hours than I though possible (and I'm a self confessed geek anyway!). Virgin isn't connected in this area either, unfortunately. I'm exploring 4G options but as I will likely work from home it's the uplink that's an issue, not just downlink - if I want to remote login then sending data becomes the bottleneck and 1/mbit really doesn't cut it for (wired) and will likely blow through the acceptable use policy I read for Relish - the only provider for 4G broadband that has a sensible price for 'unlimited' provision.

The plot has thickened somewhat - I've check a few more addresses using the method RobertoS suggested, and it seems that my property is not the only one to be connected to the vauxhall exchange via EO line, house #'s 126, 130, 132, 136, and 140 are all EO to Vauxhall, and the rest, including my neighbor at 128 go to Wallworth. How this was planned this way (all mixed and jumbled up!) is just beyond me.... clearly FTTC can be done so at the moment I'm crossing my fingers that openreach listen to the ticket I opened.
(newbie) Sat 16-Mar-19 12:28:39
Print Post

[re: Icaras] [link to this post]

Hello Icarus,

I am assuming an underground cable - there's no obvious network and no pole - although just round the corner, there is a pole: not sure if a cable could fly from that, but it'd likely go right by (across) a neighboring property - if they agree a cable could conceivably be fixed to that, and then to me... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Cheers.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to