General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User partial
(experienced) Sat 16-Mar-19 12:39:24
Print Post

Re: Exchange-Only line/upgrade

[re: bethwinblues] [link to this post]

My advice is not to buy a house that you know has poor broadband if you need good broadband.

The forum is littered with people who have done this and are surprised when Openreach don't jump to sort it out pronto.

Edited by partial (Sat 16-Mar-19 12:40:23)

Standard User bethwinblues
(newbie) Sat 16-Mar-19 12:48:14
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Haha! you have me there... but it's not just about me unfortunately! 8/1 will be "okay" and as soon as we get to the end of 2019 and ofcom comes in with the broadband service obligation minimum standards, I'll apply via that for the minimum 10/1. I'm not overse to paying for the upgrade you see - as it is clear that there are solutions out there!

Took ages to find a decent place we could afford and we're no going trough that again. Who knew EO lines were still "with us" in the capital of the UK, in this day and age.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Mar-19 14:50:14
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

+1

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 16-Mar-19 15:17:05
Print Post

If your ADSL2+ line syncs at 10,001 Kbps downstream and 1,001 Kbps upstream it will probably not be counted for USO help

As for 'who knew' have done a few articles for papers covering this issue for parts of London, and it repeats for a good of other cities

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Mar-19 23:38:21
Print Post

There are many thousand EO lines in London. Walworth exchange has 122 EO bundles and each bundle can be as many as 100 or more lines. Vauxhall exchange has 57 EO bundles. I'm on the Vauxhall exchange and our development (SW9 6) was on an EO bundle of over 80 lines and a couple of years ago we part funded a network rearrangement and the installation of an AIO cab.

Edit: Duplicate word deleted.

Edited by MCM (Sat 16-Mar-19 23:39:19)

(newbie) Sun 17-Mar-19 11:20:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Fair enough, and thanks for the insight. I'm happy to pay for a better service - up to a point of course! - and if I need to wait then I guess so be it. It's a fascinating history (EO, London comms, etc.), that's for sure. Perhaps the USO will evolve with time as well.
(newbie) Sun 17-Mar-19 11:22:20
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Fascinating stuff! Thanks. Perhaps I'll do the same in that case. May I ask, was the Network Re-arrangement expensive (if such a topic is permitted on this forum?).
Standard User GonePostal
(member) Sun 17-Mar-19 11:27:07
Print Post

Have you thought about following RobertoS's example (documented at http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/mobilebroadband/f/4...) of not having a landline and using a 4G connection?
(newbie) Sun 17-Mar-19 11:32:51
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

I am indeed. There's also a good offer from Relish as well who do a 4G modem for £22/mo with unlimited data. But their agent yesterday said uplink was quite variable between 0.1 and 5 M/Bit. But hey ho.... it's an option!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 17-Mar-19 11:44:25
Print Post

You can try Three 4G speeds at the location, preferably inside, using a £1 SIM from a newsagent in your phone, (assuming a 4G-capable phone), plus a minimum topup. See mine in my sig.

Latency is very variable, which wouldn't suit gamers, but mine isn't very noticeable on ordinary browsing. Streaming works fine.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to