General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spuriousfish
(regular) Tue 19-Mar-19 14:28:31
Print Post

Just what can an ISP test on a faulty ADSL connection

[link to this post]

I've just had a problem on my ADSL link with my data rate being less than 50% of what it should be. I contacted the support desk (John Lewis/Plusnet) who did various tests and reached the conclusion that there was no fault. They kept telling me that the connection speed was Ok. Presumably they meant the sync speed which I know was OK. But I couldn't seem to get through to them that sync speed was not the same as the data rate.

So, my question is just how much of the connection can an ISP test ? I'm guessing that they can't actually tell what the data rate really is at my end.

FWIW: after 3 days of this slow speed, 30 minutes after they run their tests with NFF, it magically started running at full speed again.

Edited by Spuriousfish (Tue 19-Mar-19 14:28:48)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Mar-19 07:31:18
Print Post

Re: Just what can an ISP test on a faulty ADSL connection

[re: Spuriousfish] [link to this post]

Well, they have no control over the Net beyond their own network & can't see it from your viewpoint anyway.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User BranH
(learned) Thu 21-Mar-19 09:12:36
Print Post

[re: Spuriousfish] [link to this post]

Three days sounds like DLM sorting itself out.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Mar-19 09:59:22
Print Post

[re: BranH] [link to this post]

Also if it is ADSL as in old IPStream there is the length of time the IP Profile takes to change

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to