General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User godsell4
(member) Wed 20-Mar-19 17:01:23
Print Post

Slow high error rate VDSL. no spare pairs

[link to this post]

So after many many years of regular issues, looks like the armored cable which serves about 20 properties (about 3km from the cabinet) has no spare pairs and currently I have a line with high packet loss.

What will Openreach do will they replace the whole 1km of armored cable, lay an additional armored cable, put up poles, create the ducts ... what do you think?

Or they will dig it up, unravel the wires, crimp the fault and place it all back into the ground again?

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre 3Mb to 5Mb
Gigaclear FTTP 100Mb TBD
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Mar-19 17:11:05
Print Post

Re: Slow high error rate VDSL. no spare pairs

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

Order a new line. BT will have to pay you compensation because they can not provide a service so long as no one else cancels. BT are aware of a scam where people order multiple lines for say an office when they know BT have no spare capacity.

Michael Chare
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Mar-19 17:34:05
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

False

The existing USO requirements only apply to the first line at a property.

What compensation do you think would be due? Other than refunding what you had already paid to get a service installed.

My bet is that at 3km VDSL2 is considered to be past expectations and thus they'll just mark the line as red. Thus you'll be waiting for USO solutions in a year or so and that is probably EE 4G

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dect
(member) Wed 20-Mar-19 18:44:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by godsell4:
So after many many years of regular issues, looks like the armored cable which serves about 20 properties (about 3km from the cabinet) has no spare pairs and currently I have a line with high packet loss.

What will Openreach do will they replace the whole 1km of armored cable, lay an additional armored cable, put up poles, create the ducts ... what do you think?

Or they will dig it up, unravel the wires, crimp the fault and place it all back into the ground again?
I think it will depend on if the actual copper line pair (not the broadband) fails a line test.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Mar-19 19:24:43
Print Post

Your signature mentions Gigaclear, do you have or can you order service from them ?

Standard User godsell4
(member) Wed 20-Mar-19 20:42:43
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

500Kohm HR fault detected at the moment, so they have to do something, and we have had +4Mb for many years, so they can not claim the line is too long for VDSL.

Gigaclear is not an option yet, they are 3 months behind schedule and I think at the current rate likely another 3 months from starting the build in this area proper.

PlusNet Unlimited Fibre 3Mb to 5Mb
Gigaclear FTTP 100Mb TBD
Standard User partial
(experienced) Wed 20-Mar-19 21:05:22
Print Post

>>500Kohm HR fault detected at the moment

This makes no sense. If it's 500Kohm high resistance A-B you won't have a dial tone. If it is 500Kohm A/B-Earth, it's a low resistance fault innit crazy

Edited by partial (Wed 20-Mar-19 21:12:14)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Mar-19 21:12:17
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

+1

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Mar-19 21:30:35
Print Post

There is no way Openreach will replace a kilometre of armoured ....

There must be a few joints en route at least three at a guess, maybe more. So it can be narrowed down.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 20-Mar-19 21:38:53
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Maybe the OP hasn't checked for a dial-tone smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to