General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Hydeproject
(newbie) Fri 22-Mar-19 22:09:38
Print Post

Broadband Community Project

[link to this post]

Has anybody started a community project using the Gigabit Voucher scheme? We have just started one in Dorset and would like to communicate with other projects.
We get between 2-4Mbps at the moment and have 30 properties interested in having FTTP fibre installed to our premises. Looking to get quotes from Openreach and Wessex Internet who bot install fibre in our area.
Standard User Garlic
(regular) Sun 24-Mar-19 13:11:08
Print Post

Re: Broadband Community Project

[re: Hydeproject] [link to this post]

Have you tried Superfast Dorset they may be able to point you in the right direction.

-----------
FTTP 80/20
(newbie) Sun 24-Mar-19 14:02:31
Print Post

[re: Garlic] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestion, but have already been in touch and have their support. It would be good to talk to other projects.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 24-Mar-19 17:05:25
Print Post

I can't help you with your specific question. I would just like to make the point that if you need to get many people to sign up (commit) to some arrangement then what you need is people with good marketing skills and quite possibly some persistence. I only have a Gigaclear service because there were some local people like that.

Michael Chare
Standard User Robin1989
(learned) Mon 25-Mar-19 06:47:02
Print Post

i tried this route but the prices returned were not feasible unfortunately as wanted over £140k for 100 properties and i just couldn't get the interest for everyone to pay that.
(newbie) Mon 25-Mar-19 07:47:53
Print Post

[re: Robin1989] [link to this post]

That's interesting, that makes an average of £1400 per property. How far apart were they? So far we have interest from 29 properties and they are fairly condensed although some are about 500-1000m apart. We have potential funding of £48,000 from the voucher scheme due to the number of small businesses which gives an average of £1650 per property..
(newbie) Mon 25-Mar-19 07:50:45
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I agree, although some have expressed an interest very quickly some are very slow to respond. We may need to go door knocking.
Standard User dect
(member) Mon 25-Mar-19 09:49:49
Print Post

How many willing small businesses have you got then? the average cost per property typically is around £1500 so hopefully it will work out good for you.

Edited by dect (Mon 25-Mar-19 12:00:29)

Standard User Garlic
(regular) Mon 25-Mar-19 15:27:34
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

With USO coming down the line its possible that this will be swept up with that provision (start aim of late this year according to ofcom which would mean projects in 2020) OR won't have any obligation to tell you what will be inscope till its formally brought in. And doubtless thats a long way for those on poors speeds and time to wait.

I'm a touch suprised if I read the google links that with a school in the area you don't have an effective anchor tenant to bring fibre close enough for a lower fee (what with the gov/OR schemes for schools) but I'm not on the ground so obviously it is what it is.

Have you tried contacting any of the communities cited in the CFP's own case studies.

-----------
FTTP 80/20
Standard User dect
(member) Mon 25-Mar-19 15:34:07
Print Post

[re: Garlic] [link to this post]

Think you should have replied to the OP rather than me
(newbie) Tue 26-Mar-19 07:29:41
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

We have 19 business who are interested so this has increased our average funding per property. Did anybody find that Openreach charged according to the amount of funding available from your properties? You have to say when submitting your addresses to Openreach whether they are a business and I was wondering they use that to decide how much to quote?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to