General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Woggle1
(newbie) Sat 23-Mar-19 21:19:21
Print Post

Business Broadband and PSTN Alarm Connection

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I'm currently involved in a local community centre. We currently have two lines - an 80/20 unlimited fibre broadband line and a separate basic line which is used for our alarm system. Both lines are sorted by 2Circles.

We're looking getting some comparisons against what we pay. Ideally we're looking for a similar broadband arrangement but also have a static IP if possible (so we can run our CCTV over it). In due course we'll be installing some of the UniFi products to extend the wifi signal in the buidling but also offer controlled guest wifi access.

There were a couple of questions I had:

1. With BT slowly starting the move away from PSTN lines has anyone experience of not running alarms over PSTN i.e. are there cellular or SIP connection options or do I need to keep with the separate line?

2. Are there any good small business broadband suppliers who provide an option for a separate basic line and then a static IP on the broadband line. I've been looking at Zen and BT (although the latter a bit more expensive).

Many thanks.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Mar-19 23:36:39
Print Post

Re: Business Broadband and PSTN Alarm Connection

[re: Woggle1] [link to this post]

You don't need to have a static public IP. You could employ a Dynamic DDS (DDNS) whereby you address your home network by a domain assigned by them.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 25-Mar-19 17:01:05
Print Post

Alarms are also moving across to IP. That may be another option to consider

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Mar-19 17:32:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woggle1:
1. With BT slowly starting the move away from PSTN lines has anyone experience of not running alarms over PSTN i.e. are there cellular or SIP connection options or do I need to keep with the separate line?

Most have been offering alternatives for some time.

Our existing alarms work our internet connection and then with a GSM backup built in to the alarm.

By default they would notify us each time one of the paths went down, which was annoying so we had to change to only get in touch if both went down but the system worked well.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 25-Mar-19 18:49:57
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I assume you mean that you have one exchange line that supports the alarm fubctionality and your broadband service whether it be ADSL or FTTC. Yep, do the same myself. However if it's a FTTH (or equivalent) not sure if the alarm would still be supported. But as you sey, an upgrade may be required to use IP.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Mar-19 18:53:07
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

No for us at least.

The alarm has an ethernet cable plugged in to our router which uses the internet connection (IP) and then backup is a GSM device built in to the alarm.

I don't believe there is any specific requirement just that whatever it plugs in to dishes out IPs and gives the alarm one so it can reach the wider internet to the alarm monitoring company. xDSL, FTTP even cable would be fine as they're all still IP-based services.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
Standard User Woggle1
(newbie) Tue 26-Mar-19 07:35:17
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Many thanks all - that's really helpful.

We'll get in touch with the alarm company. I hope they do have an option for broadband with GSM backup........would help if we didn't have to have a separate phone line and could run it all over one fibre line.

Thanks!
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 26-Mar-19 21:04:58
Print Post

Texecom Premier Elite alarms can be configured with additional hardware to send SMS messages and use the Internet to send details of any unusual events to mobile phones and email addresses. There is Texecom Windows 10 software which can be used to configure and monitor the status of an alarm with an IP connection.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to