General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jun-19 22:52:26
Print Post

Re: Fake Open Reach calls - again.

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I'll sell you some of mine. I've plenty left over after I mess with them.

https://ispuk4.webnode.com/ is a page where 1 of them gets you to go to where you click on Cyber Security to be invited to d/load DeskRoll.exe. At which point the baiting had to stop & I had to tell him a few home truths.
I'm surprised that we site hasn't been taken down, I kept one of these benchods on the line for 45mins pretending to follow his instructions before he realised i was scamming him, he then got angry and ranted about why was i wasting his time,lol
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Thu 06-Jun-19 12:48:30
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

One of my callers also got abusive when after about 15mins of pretending nothing was happening I casually asked "do I have to have the PC switched on"?
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Jun-19 13:18:45
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

I didn't realise that they could just adopt pratically any number they wished. I also wonder if the "Call Centre Sound" is faked, or if there are that many people carrying out the same or similar scams.

What added to what I initially thought was a scam was when the guy on the phone said "We're not after any money". Which was sort of an odd comment when you knew that in some way that's exactly what they were after.

Edited by Vorlon (Thu 06-Jun-19 13:19:34)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Jun-19 14:41:20
Print Post

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Vorlon:
I didn't realise that they could just adopt pratically any number they wished. I also wonder if the "Call Centre Sound" is faked, or if there are that many people carrying out the same or similar scams.

What added to what I initially thought was a scam was when the guy on the phone said "We're not after any money". Which was sort of an odd comment when you knew that in some way that's exactly what they were after.
the call centre background noise will be authentic, they are making big money out of these scams
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Jun-19 16:53:51
Print Post

There are apps out their that can fake call centre noises to make the calls sound legit
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Jun-19 09:19:59
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Id love a call like this so i can play along with them for abit. Never get any though

nor me, saying that my home number is a Voip number and the main line don't have a phone connected to it, so if anyone to ring it I will never know.

I did have one phone my Dad when I was there, saying that his computer had errors and his broadband was slow. i did play along for a while, until telling them to stop scamming people and that there was no broadband or computer connected.

A friend of mine is the one when she gets them, she has a Mac and plays dumb as they say about errors and tries to get her to click on different things on her computer , then after 15 mins or so she tells them she has a Mac and not windows and to stop scamming people.

A few of them on you Tube of people getting their own back on these scammers.
so funny, but these scammers really need to be stopped, the problem is most are in india it seems no one cares

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Jun-19 18:21:03
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
There are apps out their that can fake call centre noises to make the calls sound legit
Oh, i know, but i have watched many of these scammers on YouTube videos from scam baiters who scam the scammers or waste their time, one of two have left some software on their VM disguised as bank info, the scammer couldn't resist copying it to his machine, and running it unaware that by him doing this he created a backdoor so to speak giving the scam baiter access to his machine and files , he was also Able to hear the scammer scamming some old man, Which he later contracted and told him to change his bank log in details and notify his bank he had been scammed, That web site the scammers where using is now suspended, Some of these scammers are based in India, but have associated companies in the uk and USA, they are conning people out of thousands it's big money and organised

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 07-Jun-19 18:23:19)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Jun-19 19:33:14
Print Post

It is now: "The Website Has Been Suspended"!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Jun-19 20:38:57
Print Post

Re: Fake Open Reach calls - again. *DELETED*

Post deleted by kasg
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Sun 09-Jun-19 10:31:41
Print Post

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

Like most we receive many of these robot calls, you are not alone. BT and some other landline phone companies now have some kind of "call blocking" system in place, but ofc as these are spoofed numbers they have little net effect.

Some gov action is required before something that works will be rolled out I think, progress is glacial ofc. The move to digital voice may make the tech easier, anyone know?

If I have the time and the inclination I'm happy to spin a yarn for 5 mins, sometimes I am a Serbo-Croat speaking pensioner, or an old lady who gets her son to come to the phone - he is an IT consultant and advises the caller on better ways to remote control a PC using Venusian Garg technology, that one gets increasingly bizarre. If I'm too busy I'll put them on hold with Radio 4 Extra. My favourite short one is to keep with it until they get to the "have you got Windows" script line. Answer "no, we live in a basement" and gibber about it being dark for a while.

Hope that helps 8)

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612 & Billion 7800N or BT Business Hub 6A: 80/20 synch. Online since 1987. Apples & Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to