General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jun-19 11:45:40
Print Post

Re: Fake Open Reach calls - again.

[re: radiomarko] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by radiomarko:
Like most we receive many of these robot calls, you are not alone. BT and some other landline phone companies now have some kind of "call blocking" system in place, but ofc as these are spoofed numbers they have little net effect.

The better call blockers (e.g. Sky's) do have an effect against robot calls since they ask the caller to press a digit on the keypad before connecting the call up.

Oliver.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Jun-19 13:16:04
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Like most we receive many of these robot calls, you are not alone. BT and some other landline phone companies now have some kind of "call blocking" system in place, but ofc as these are spoofed numbers they have little net effect.

The better call blockers (e.g. Sky's) do have an effect against robot calls since they ask the caller to press a digit on the keypad before connecting the call up.
These auto diallers are often used not for actual scams,but to see which numbers get answered , as well as other factors like did the recipient follow the instructions ie press 1 or 2 ect , to see who maybe the easiest to scam , those will likely get a call from an actual scammer sometime soon
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jun-19 13:33:30
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
These auto diallers are often used not for actual scams,but to see which numbers get answered , as well as other factors like did the recipient follow the instructions ie press 1 or 2 ect , to see who maybe the easiest to scam , those will likely get a call from an actual scammer sometime soon

The ones I usually get have a recorded message with a fake scare story, which then asks me to hold the line or press a key to speak to an adviser. With Sky's blocker my phone wouldn't even ring since the robot wouldn't press "4" when asked to.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jun-19 16:47:43
Print Post

Some gov action is required before something that works will be rolled out I think, progress is glacial ofc. The move to digital voice may make the tech easier, anyone know?

If you read my previous post. You will see that HMRC have already worked with telco's & Ofcom and done exactly what you are suggesting.

So the question is if they can do it for HMRC, why are they still letting it happen with other spoofed numbers...

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Jun-19 17:37:59
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

So the question is if they can do it for HMRC, why are they still letting it happen with other spoofed numbers...
Totally different as you would see if you read the article. What has been stopped is the spoofing of HMRC's various public numbers which I suspect can be counted in tens. All very different from preventing the spoofing of thousands of random numbers plucked from the air which appears to be the case for the vast majority of Microsoft and BT fake calls.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jun-19 17:48:19
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Well it should not be hard.
10 or ten thousand. The actions required are the same. Just the scale is larger.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Sun 09-Jun-19 18:18:55
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I should have been clearer, by ".. net effect" I meant an effect for everyone. At present pressing or not pressing a button changes things for you, not everyone. There needs to be some kind of blocking tech that blocks for everyone whilst the call is routed. That's why I asked if the move to Digital Voice will make that any easier to develop.

I have the BT system btw.

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612 & Billion 7800N or BT Business Hub 6A: 80/20 synch. Online since 1987. Apples & Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Jun-19 19:34:36
Print Post

So you consider scaling from blocking spoofed calls from using say a hundred known numbers to blocking the use of potentially millions of unknown random numbers to be trivial. I suggest you think again.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jun-19 23:14:08
Print Post

At present pressing or not pressing a button changes things for you, not everyone.

It would change things for everyone receiving automated calls from robots, which is a pretty big issue, even though it's not the whole issue.

If the BT system doesn't make the caller press a number on the keypad it's certainly something they should look at adding.

Oliver.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Jun-19 01:21:48
Print Post

Re: Fake Open Reach calls - again. *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to