General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Jun-19 12:07:47
Print Post

Fake Open Reach calls - again.

[link to this post]

Looking online this looks like it's been around for awhile, where a Foreign Guy (Indian) makes out he's from Open Reach and says that you've got an issue in your area with broadband speed.
When I asked him for his number so that i could call back, he hung up, which didn't surprise me.

What did surprise me though was the number that he called on looked as though it was a Geographical UK number and when I tried to look it up online there was next to no reference about it.

01278 962539 An automated response just says the number is not recognised.
Is it easy for scammers to use these sorts of numbers and practically fool us into it's a legitimate number?

Also as per some of the older stories on the web about this, there is the sound of a busy office going on in the background which I guess leads to an element of authenticity.

Edited by Vorlon (Wed 05-Jun-19 12:18:31)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 05-Jun-19 12:31:11
Print Post

Re: Fake Open Reach calls - again.

[re: Vorlon] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Vorlon:
01278 962539 An automated response just says the number is not recognised.
Is it easy for scammers to use these sorts of numbers and practically fool us into it's a legitimate number?
Yes.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Wed 05-Jun-19 15:01:24
Print Post

Vorlon

It is very easy to spoof the CLI on an IP originated call. They are 'dialled by computer and it just generates a random UK CLI usually from an unallocated range.

OFCOM could prevent this happening by allowing Operators to bar calls from other operators where false CLIs are being generated by more than x % of calls ( say 20%). This would hit the relevant operators in the pocket and cause them to block the originating operator/customer. But so far they haven't had the backbone.

Likewise where a call is 00xxxx...…. they should be treated as international and therefore come in the international call block category. Some operators do not mark them as International in the call type and these then bypass network call blocking software.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jun-19 15:44:09
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kitcat:
It is very easy to spoof the CLI on an IP originated call. They are 'dialled by computer and it just generates a random UK CLI usually from an unallocated range.

OFCOM could prevent this happening by allowing Operators to bar calls from other operators where false CLIs are being generated by more than x % of calls ( say 20%). This would hit the relevant operators in the pocket and cause them to block the originating operator/customer. But so far they haven't had the backbone.

...but a lot of these calls also come from allocated ranges too and if the range is allocated Ofcom have no idea if the number is in use or not as the number owners don't share data. Even if they were able to, numbers that are ported would have one or more chains to go through.

Blocking unallocated numbers from being routable as the source should be easy but then you rely upon telcos to remove that from their blocklists once allocated. Getting some networks to accept newly allocated Ofcom ranges is hard enough.

Matt

uno Communications
t: 0333 773 7700
uno Speedtest
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jun-19 16:54:24
Print Post

I had one number call 3 times within 40 mins after 8 pm,( 03333440000 ) Did a google on the number plenty of reports it was an automated text to voice mail type message gives a couple of options press 1 to hear the message 2 to delete 3 to disable this service (spoofed) they had recorded that pose English female voice that BT uses for the quiet line test ect,(a bit more authentic that some American voice,lol ) The last scammer got called some not very nice names in hindi
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Jun-19 18:45:14
Print Post

I've noticed recently that those scammers phoning up pretending to be from BT, OR, Ofcom, Microsoft or your ISP & lying that your PC or BB has been hacked / infected have taken to faking their no. as with the same dialling code as your own exchange (some of which are cloned from genuine nos.). They used to use faked national or international nos. I suppose they are trying to make out you are being called by a friend or neighbour, so you pick up.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Jun-19 19:41:49
Print Post

People get calls demanding money from genuine Inland Revenue numbers which have been spoofed. See

The government needs to do more to protect people though it is difficult if the criminals are abroad.

Michael Chare
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Jun-19 19:48:19
Print Post

HMRC blocks them
But now it says it's worked with the telecommunications industry and its regulator, Ofcom, to stop scammers spoofing its most commonly-used helpline numbers.

BBC
In 2018, HMRC received reports of 104,774 attempted phone scams, compared with just 407 in 2016.

Since the controls were introduced in April, HMRC said it had not received a single report of the spoofing trick being used.

So you have to question why that very industry that can work with HMRC and stop them. Can't stop call that are supposed to be from them.....
Or is it a case of they don't care as they get a kickback and don't have to pick up the mess that these scammers cause...

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jun-19 20:53:57
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Id love a call like this so i can play along with them for abit. Never get any though
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Jun-19 21:36:21
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

I'll sell you some of mine. I've plenty left over after I mess with them.

https://ispuk4.webnode.com/ is a page where 1 of them gets you to go to where you click on Cyber Security to be invited to d/load DeskRoll.exe. At which point the baiting had to stop & I had to tell him a few home truths.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jun-19 22:52:26
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I'll sell you some of mine. I've plenty left over after I mess with them.

https://ispuk4.webnode.com/ is a page where 1 of them gets you to go to where you click on Cyber Security to be invited to d/load DeskRoll.exe. At which point the baiting had to stop & I had to tell him a few home truths.
I'm surprised that we site hasn't been taken down, I kept one of these benchods on the line for 45mins pretending to follow his instructions before he realised i was scamming him, he then got angry and ranted about why was i wasting his time,lol
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Thu 06-Jun-19 12:48:30
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

One of my callers also got abusive when after about 15mins of pretending nothing was happening I casually asked "do I have to have the PC switched on"?
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 06-Jun-19 13:18:45
Print Post

I didn't realise that they could just adopt pratically any number they wished. I also wonder if the "Call Centre Sound" is faked, or if there are that many people carrying out the same or similar scams.

What added to what I initially thought was a scam was when the guy on the phone said "We're not after any money". Which was sort of an odd comment when you knew that in some way that's exactly what they were after.

Edited by Vorlon (Thu 06-Jun-19 13:19:34)

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Jun-19 14:41:20
Print Post

I didn't realise that they could just adopt pratically any number they wished. I also wonder if the "Call Centre Sound" is faked, or if there are that many people carrying out the same or similar scams.

What added to what I initially thought was a scam was when the guy on the phone said "We're not after any money". Which was sort of an odd comment when you knew that in some way that's exactly what they were after.
the call centre background noise will be authentic, they are making big money out of these scams
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Jun-19 16:53:51
Print Post

There are apps out their that can fake call centre noises to make the calls sound legit
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Jun-19 09:19:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Id love a call like this so i can play along with them for abit. Never get any though

nor me, saying that my home number is a Voip number and the main line don't have a phone connected to it, so if anyone to ring it I will never know.

I did have one phone my Dad when I was there, saying that his computer had errors and his broadband was slow. i did play along for a while, until telling them to stop scamming people and that there was no broadband or computer connected.

A friend of mine is the one when she gets them, she has a Mac and plays dumb as they say about errors and tries to get her to click on different things on her computer , then after 15 mins or so she tells them she has a Mac and not windows and to stop scamming people.

A few of them on you Tube of people getting their own back on these scammers.
so funny, but these scammers really need to be stopped, the problem is most are in india it seems no one cares

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Jun-19 18:21:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
There are apps out their that can fake call centre noises to make the calls sound legit
Oh, i know, but i have watched many of these scammers on YouTube videos from scam baiters who scam the scammers or waste their time, one of two have left some software on their VM disguised as bank info, the scammer couldn't resist copying it to his machine, and running it unaware that by him doing this he created a backdoor so to speak giving the scam baiter access to his machine and files , he was also Able to hear the scammer scamming some old man, Which he later contracted and told him to change his bank log in details and notify his bank he had been scammed, That web site the scammers where using is now suspended, Some of these scammers are based in India, but have associated companies in the uk and USA, they are conning people out of thousands it's big money and organised

Edited by tommy45 (Fri 07-Jun-19 18:23:19)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Jun-19 19:33:14
Print Post

It is now: "The Website Has Been Suspended"!

Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Jun-19 20:38:57
Print Post

Re: Fake Open Reach calls - again. *DELETED*

Post deleted by kasg
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Sun 09-Jun-19 10:31:41
Print Post

Like most we receive many of these robot calls, you are not alone. BT and some other landline phone companies now have some kind of "call blocking" system in place, but ofc as these are spoofed numbers they have little net effect.

Some gov action is required before something that works will be rolled out I think, progress is glacial ofc. The move to digital voice may make the tech easier, anyone know?

If I have the time and the inclination I'm happy to spin a yarn for 5 mins, sometimes I am a Serbo-Croat speaking pensioner, or an old lady who gets her son to come to the phone - he is an IT consultant and advises the caller on better ways to remote control a PC using Venusian Garg technology, that one gets increasingly bizarre. If I'm too busy I'll put them on hold with Radio 4 Extra. My favourite short one is to keep with it until they get to the "have you got Windows" script line. Answer "no, we live in a basement" and gibber about it being dark for a while.

Hope that helps 8)

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612 & Billion 7800N or BT Business Hub 6A: 80/20 synch. Online since 1987. Apples & Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jun-19 11:45:40
Print Post

[re: radiomarko] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by radiomarko:
Like most we receive many of these robot calls, you are not alone. BT and some other landline phone companies now have some kind of "call blocking" system in place, but ofc as these are spoofed numbers they have little net effect.

The better call blockers (e.g. Sky's) do have an effect against robot calls since they ask the caller to press a digit on the keypad before connecting the call up.

Oliver.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Jun-19 13:16:04
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:

The better call blockers (e.g. Sky's) do have an effect against robot calls since they ask the caller to press a digit on the keypad before connecting the call up.
These auto diallers are often used not for actual scams,but to see which numbers get answered , as well as other factors like did the recipient follow the instructions ie press 1 or 2 ect , to see who maybe the easiest to scam , those will likely get a call from an actual scammer sometime soon
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jun-19 13:33:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:
These auto diallers are often used not for actual scams,but to see which numbers get answered , as well as other factors like did the recipient follow the instructions ie press 1 or 2 ect , to see who maybe the easiest to scam , those will likely get a call from an actual scammer sometime soon

The ones I usually get have a recorded message with a fake scare story, which then asks me to hold the line or press a key to speak to an adviser. With Sky's blocker my phone wouldn't even ring since the robot wouldn't press "4" when asked to.

Oliver.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jun-19 16:47:43
Print Post

Some gov action is required before something that works will be rolled out I think, progress is glacial ofc. The move to digital voice may make the tech easier, anyone know?

If you read my previous post. You will see that HMRC have already worked with telco's & Ofcom and done exactly what you are suggesting.

So the question is if they can do it for HMRC, why are they still letting it happen with other spoofed numbers...

To Infinity
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Jun-19 17:37:59
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

So the question is if they can do it for HMRC, why are they still letting it happen with other spoofed numbers...
Totally different as you would see if you read the article. What has been stopped is the spoofing of HMRC's various public numbers which I suspect can be counted in tens. All very different from preventing the spoofing of thousands of random numbers plucked from the air which appears to be the case for the vast majority of Microsoft and BT fake calls.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jun-19 17:48:19
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Well it should not be hard.
10 or ten thousand. The actions required are the same. Just the scale is larger.

To Infinity
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Sun 09-Jun-19 18:18:55
Print Post

I should have been clearer, by ".. net effect" I meant an effect for everyone. At present pressing or not pressing a button changes things for you, not everyone. There needs to be some kind of blocking tech that blocks for everyone whilst the call is routed. That's why I asked if the move to Digital Voice will make that any easier to develop.

I have the BT system btw.

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612 & Billion 7800N or BT Business Hub 6A: 80/20 synch. Online since 1987. Apples & Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Jun-19 19:34:36
Print Post

So you consider scaling from blocking spoofed calls from using say a hundred known numbers to blocking the use of potentially millions of unknown random numbers to be trivial. I suggest you think again.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jun-19 23:14:08
Print Post

At present pressing or not pressing a button changes things for you, not everyone.

It would change things for everyone receiving automated calls from robots, which is a pretty big issue, even though it's not the whole issue.

If the BT system doesn't make the caller press a number on the keypad it's certainly something they should look at adding.

Oliver.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Jun-19 01:21:48
Print Post

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User kasg
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Jun-19 09:35:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:
And The reason why they have ignored the democratic will of 17.4 million people for nearly 3 years regardless of what you voted for LEAVE WON

Yawn, yawn, yawn. You won, get over it!

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra - sync 79999/20000 at around 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Jun-19 12:44:08
Print Post

This issue is not anything that the Gov should be involved in.
They already have Quango (Ofcom) to regulate the industry.

If the industry got off their backsides they could solve the problem. But I think the issue is they will then lose income.

Perhaps the answer is that if anyone loses £££ through their lack of action, then they have to refund the victim.

That would soon focus their attention on solving a problem of their own making.

To Infinity
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Jun-19 13:07:15
Print Post

Removed political rant.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Mon 10-Jun-19 20:12:16
Print Post

BT have two linked systems, one is implemented in some of their DECT handsets that require a key press or two to block a number. The second is accessed through the BT account page where recent received call numbers can be added to your block list with two clicks.

I do not know if the numbers that I block propagate to a system wide block list. I don't see how that would be workable, as many of the spoofed UK numbers are real and belong to genuine subscribers- I checked.

-.-. --.-
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Jun-19 18:12:51
Print Post

Whilst reading these posts (thanks) another question came to mind about VOIP and the numbers used.
In my case the number looked like (or was) a genuine number calling me hence the reason I took the call. I did phone the number back and the BT type response said the number wasn't recognised.

I think on one of the posts on this thread someone said any number can be spoofed and I was wondering because of this couldn't someone find that their legitimate line was being used to scam people? So I guess these scammers must have to find out first which lines are active or not? Or could they use for example a made up area code and use that with any number in the correct format etc? Will the technology behind caller display as an example just read out any used number legitimate or not?

Edited by Vorlon (Sat 15-Jun-19 18:13:33)

Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sat 15-Jun-19 20:21:16
Print Post

Vorlon

They have used live numbers but these are usually the more sophisticated scams to do with HMRC/Financial institutions. They then use/used valid numbers so that the call seemed real.

Most of them use invalid ranges which are easy to source from OFCOM code lists that are published. The computer doing the connection just picks a random number from the range for inserting in the CLI field.

If you try to return the call you will get "the number dialled has not been recognised" as the whole range is not in the dial plans.

OFCOM is looking at a system whereby all CLIs are checked for validity and this is out for consultation with operators at present. It is fairly easy to do on VOIP systems from a central database of issued ranges.but very difficult to do on PSTN type systems. However as practically all the spammed calls originate or transit VOIP networks this may cut the numbers down significantly until originators find other ways around it. This is likely to use valid numbers and a 2nd strand to OFCOMs proposals was to validate whether the call came from the range owning operator, messy due to number portability but possible if a number ported database lookup is instituted which would also improve the routing of ported calls.
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Sun 16-Jun-19 14:23:33
Print Post

Approx 40% of my blocked numbers are real. 75% of the calls I get are BT scams. I had a quick look at my blocked list on My BT, and googled some numbers. Businesses show up in such a search ofc, private subscribers will not.

So I cannot see that a CLI check system will work.

-.-. --.-
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Sun 16-Jun-19 18:16:46
Print Post

In ISDN2 days terminal adapters could be made to differentiate between CLI network supplied and verified against user supplied and unverified. Now if that still exists in the protocol...…………...
Standard User kitcat
(experienced) Sun 16-Jun-19 19:03:09
Print Post

[re: Gadget] [link to this post]

It does in the C7 variant, but VOIP networks are capable of spoofing. However if the call is originated in this country OFCOM can put the originator out of business. If Originated abroad it is suggested that the Transit Operator would be blacklisted if numbers are spoofed with UK CLIs. This would put pressure on transit operators to police their originating customers.

VOIP and VPNs make it very messy as it is not always easy to trace the call to an originating source and even tell which country a call originates in. Blocking all Overseas calls with UK CLIs would cause a major outcry.

All those people using VPNs and then VOIP would be unpleasantly surprised if their calls suddenly stopped working! Many on here would be screaming!
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 16-Jun-19 19:08:09
Print Post

VOIP and VPNs make it very messy as it is not always easy to trace the call to an originating source and even tell which country a call originates in. Blocking all Overseas calls with UK CLIs would cause a major outcry.

Startiung with BT. They have quite a few teams located overseas who use a UK number. Although I wonder if BT do block the BT 0800 numbers when originating from an unknown or alternate source.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Jun-19 08:43:08
Print Post

All those people using VPNs and then VOIP would be unpleasantly surprised if their calls suddenly stopped working! Many on here would be screaming!

A small price to pay to protect the vulnerable, that fall for these scams.

To Infinity
Standard User normcalled
(newbie) Mon 17-Jun-19 09:27:43
Print Post

We had one from SKY internet last week, using a local number saying my connection has a fault and will be disconnected , so press 1 for more information. Naturally I pressed another digit!

A few minutes later it rang back saying they had mad a mistake!
Variation on a theme perhaps:? Pity I don't have SKY.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 17-Jun-19 09:52:11
Print Post

Had one last week and knew exactly what it was. Played along, with them.

Acted a little "dumb" - so whn asked to open windows I said why, the weather is cold and raining. So he told me "no, your computer". The a few more stupid answers and comments. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes and finally he got to the:

Press "Win & R", what can you see &c then type "http:// ... .com" into the box (which I did not) and enter. Kept him hanging on whilst it connected (a little slow) then siad "Yes, it has come up with a new screeen" and he asked what it said to which I responded "Be careful, some ****er is trying to scam you". CLICK and he was gone.

At least it stopped someone else getting a call.

And I can see how someone might get caught out. I have some major issues at present and spoeaking with BT frequently. Someone without background knowledge that is having issues could easily fall into the trap ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 17-Jun-19 10:20:23
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I once kept one going for 35 minutes and said I needed to write down the given address so I didn’t make a typing error. Then read it back slowly getting him to agree each letter in turn.

In the meantime I looked it up on Whois and finally said I was a bit puzzled by the domain being registered in whatever African country it was, with an individual’s name having registered it not Microsoft, when he claimed to be from Windows support in the UK.

He had two goes trying to persuade me that was normal, then gave up. I forget his exact expletives, and wouldn't get them past the censor anyway LOL.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 17-Jun-19 10:24:03)

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Jun-19 18:46:30
Print Post

Nah. Just buy a TrueCall unit. It always saddens and amazes me when people think that the government is the answer to all our problems. Makes me think I live in an alternative universe since as far as I can tell all that any government has ever done is make things ten times worse.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Jun-19 19:59:01
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
Nah. Just buy a TrueCall unit. It always saddens and amazes me when people think that the government is the answer to all our problems. Makes me think I live in an alternative universe since as far as I can tell all that any government has ever done is make things ten times worse.
And to think they get paid vast amounts of our money to do this, they may have academic qualifications, But they consistently are lacking in the common sense department, maybe that is a solution MP's with common sense , who have actually worked for a living, and are working class , so actually get it, because the current shower (entire parliament) can't grasp basics can they?

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 24-Jun-19 20:01:44)

Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Wed 26-Jun-19 17:07:24
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I fear you have grasped the wrong end of my stick.. I could have been clearer, but there you are, I'm getting old.

Examples - OFCOM ( Gov agency) eventually says that telephony and internet providers have to send you a letter when you are nearly out of contract.

Central Gov ( and I agree they are a shambles, always have been) demand that everyone gets real fibre to the home by tuesday.

That's what I meant by gov action. If Gov have control of telephonic services or whatever ( via legislation and oversight) they logically own the problems too. Whether they attend to those problems is another matter!

-.-. --.-
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Aug-19 12:24:57
Print Post

Just an Update to this thread - today I received an automated "sounding" call with an American accent saying that my Broadband is to be cut off within 48 hours. So I followed through the option/s (out of curiosity) to speak to someone and ended up speaking with an Indian sounding Guy who initially seemed as if he didn't know what I was calling for. I guess there are a number of scams all going through to the same "Call Centre". After telling him that I had received a message about my broadband being cut off he reiterated that was the case. i asked what company he was calling from, which he replied BT Open Reach.

Of course I gave no info away and guessed it was a scam from the outset. He only hung up when I asked him for his telephone number so i could call him back. I wonder just how many UK residents lose out to these sort of scams - and what is it that these scammers get from them? Are these scams looking more prevalent than they've ever been?
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Thu 29-Aug-19 13:29:21
Print Post

These things seem to run in cycles. Our Truecall blocks most of them but two came through yesterday because the Indian accented perpetrators had spoof UK phone numbers. When another one came through this morning thanking me for accepting this call from BT I'd had enough and replied with a volley of Hindi obscenities, learned from my boyhood in India long ago. He disconnected during the third sentence ... impolite but very satisfying.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Aug-19 14:26:21
Print Post

Agreed, we get Scam calls stating they are from BT, Visa, a few others all with a similar message to press 1.
So where loads of the scams are from the same place, they wasn't too sure what the call was referring too.

I recall a phone call scam (non automated) stating they was from BT and that our broadband would be disconnected, so I thought I would also pretend to be from BT, so when I stated this they become Toxic verbally, so I then stated to them "We would never speak to our customers like that" then they cussed a few more times, I laughed and they hung up.

I know when people phone our landline stating to be BT they are all mostly scams and if my parents pick up the phone I just tell them to hang up.
This is due to BT only call my Mobile because it is down as the first point of contact and its in our notes to only use that.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Aug-19 14:34:38
Print Post

what is it that these scammers get from them?

Card details/bank details and money....

Often take control of computer and remove money from bank account.

To Infinity
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Aug-19 15:46:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by JohnR:
what is it that these scammers get from them?

Card details/bank details and money....

Often take control of computer and remove money from bank account.

Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Aug-19 20:21:39
Print Post

I know from past experience that a friend of mine who isn't computer savvy genuinely thought he had Microsoft calling him. He contacted me whilst talking to someone with an Indian Accent and being concerned he was required to purchase Anti-Virus Software. At this time they had initiated with his permission a remote connection. Luckily he disconnected in time before any damage was done.

I suppose what has struck me is what appears to be an increasing sophistication/elaborate way in which they are now using things like an automated message with familiar accents and/or menu's to make them come across as genuine.
Standard User Chipmunk77
(newbie) Fri 30-Aug-19 05:40:28
Print Post

Of course I gave no info away and guessed it was a scam from the outset. He only hung up when I asked him for his telephone number so i could call him back. I wonder just how many UK residents lose out to these sort of scams - and what is it that these scammers get from them?

They claim you have a virus on your computer, and then persuade you to let them connect to your PC, via teamviewer or something similar.

Once there they either.....

a) fake some proof of virus/hackers, and try get you to pay them £200 to "fix" it

b) try get into your online banking

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Fri 30-Aug-19 11:48:16
Print Post

It must be 10 years or more since BT moved its customer service to India (as did many other companies). I do wonder why many of these spam callers (1) purport to be BT and follow "ID checks" similar to BT's (2) have Indian accents (3) clearly work from a call centre.

I left BT years ago but in fairness I found their genuine CS operators pleasant and helpful. The same applied when I helped a non-tech friend have her 50-year-old incoming line replaced.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Aug-19 11:52:20
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Malwaremike:
I do wonder why many of these spam callers (1) purport to be BT and follow "ID checks" similar to BT's (2) have Indian accents (3) clearly work from a call centre.

1) Because it makes them sound genuine.

2&3) Because India is a poor country where setting up scam call centres, recruiting people desperate for work and bribing police is very viable.

Oliver.
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Aug-19 11:55:21
Print Post

BT are in the process of moving their call centres back to the UK, to be completed by 2020

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Aug-19 16:24:15
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Please do not forget that many Indian sounding people work & live in the UK.

To Infinity
Standard User Vorlon
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Aug-19 21:32:29
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
BT are in the process of moving their call centres back to the UK, to be completed by 2020

Interesting read - am still gobsmacked about the rice comment!

I know many of these Indian call centres have had Graduates work for them as their ideal employment paths are hard to find. But it's quite sad to see that perhaps it'll be the Fake Call centres wherever they are located will lead to the downfall of the Genuine Indian call centre.
Perhaps when that happens people will tend to assume that calls with Indian sounding representatives are bogus by default?

I've never been a fan of that sort of outsourcing, not because of any anti foreigner thinking, but because I think it's better when people know more than just the language.
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Aug-19 22:58:55
Print Post

When we were on ADSL 2+ I have to speak to overseas support, in which when explaining the issue would always confuse them and after about an hour being passed about I would end up talking to support staff in this country.

As soon as we moved over to FTTP and phone over to FVA all support staff I have spoken to are all from this country, even the ones that do call backs.

From what I was told all support for dealing with FTTP based products will be handled by local non overseas support staff, and that most overseas support staff were causing more trouble than was neded.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Aug-19 14:16:41
Print Post

But it's quite sad to see that perhaps it'll be the Fake Call centres wherever they are located will lead to the downfall of the Genuine Indian call centre.

Indeed, and that will be the fault of the Indian authorities who turned a blind eye, or worse accepted bribes, because the victims were not living in India.

Oliver.
Standard User gary333
(member) Sat 31-Aug-19 18:30:58
Print Post

Interesting read - am still gobsmacked about the rice comment!

I know many of these Indian call centres have had Graduates work for them as their ideal employment paths are hard to find. But it's quite sad to see that perhaps it'll be the Fake Call centres wherever they are located will lead to the downfall of the Genuine Indian call centre.
Perhaps when that happens people will tend to assume that calls with Indian sounding representatives are bogus by default?

I've never been a fan of that sort of outsourcing, not because of any anti foreigner thinking, but because I think it's better when people know more than just the language.

Nah, the scams ain’t what’s causing the multitude of companies to move away from India. The problem is that people hate talking to Indian call centres and make lots of noise about it. A lot of the fault is down to poor process training & translation of “the ask”. Secondary to this, but largely contributory is also the cultural barriers that ain’t obvious on the surface. I’m not sure how best to describe this sensitively, but in terms of people in charge of the outsourcing contracts are getting very frustrated with the very common intrinsic and cultural norms that don’t form ‘onshore’. Put simply it’s very difficult to successfully manage. The push at the moment is to move voice to South Africa where language barrier is less of an issue. Simple processes where language ain’t problematic to Philippines.

Edited by gary333 (Sat 31-Aug-19 18:33:02)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Aug-19 18:54:49
Print Post

[re: gary333] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gary333:
Nah, the scams ain’t what’s causing the multitude of companies to move away from India.

Plus companies are moving back office jobs to India. Those jobs that don't need to talk to the customer directly. (e.g. many IT jobs).

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User bigluap
(learned) Sat 31-Aug-19 19:29:28
Print Post

Firstly the number that displays is computer spoofed, been going on for years, one of the TV programs show someone spoofing a call that using a Mainstream banks fraud number. So dont believe what you see in caller display.

I work in a Corporate HQ with 500 lines, after they get me for 2 or 3 times they reconise the voice and ring off. But the first few are fun, have you done this, can you see that best so far 15 mins. Cut them dead by saying do you really think I am that stoopid. Plus the internet is in a sandbox & via VPN.

And we dont use BT or me at home.

nb it might say newbie, Been building PCs since 386SX25 late 80's
My network is VM connection 200mbit VMDG 480 Gigabit routers Netgear Nighthawk R8000 & R7800 2 x cat5e cables to work room, have 3 gigabit switches at key points. Routers give me 3x 2.4 & 5 5.0 GHz WiFi channels - one for each device.
Standard User MC31
(member) Sun 01-Sep-19 09:09:41
Print Post

Let's just hope they do the same with the internal technical support numbers.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Sep-19 16:58:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Indeed, and that will be the fault of the Indian authorities who turned a blind eye, or worse accepted bribes, because the victims were not living in India.

Do they
Oh yes they do
need I go on?

Sadly they make so much that they spring up again.

Bit like the "Ambulance chasers" we have over here.

To Infinity
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to