General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User helpoort
(committed) Fri 21-Jun-19 23:39:55
Print Post

Call Barring Service

[link to this post]

Anyone experience of Call Barring.
My ISP is offering this service FREE.
Appears to be rather awkward/involved if one has to list all suitable call numbers.
But quite a Godsend at times to avoid these nuisance calls.
My partially sighted neighbour told me to day, he Had the 'Problem with your Internet' call.
HE DOES NOT HAVE THE INTERNET.
That I found quite disgusting.That, In this wonderful world of New technology the BIG BOYS cannot stop this curse.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Jun-19 17:45:58
Print Post

Re: Call Barring Service

[re: helpoort] [link to this post]

One of the problem is waht you do with anonymous calls. If you bar them completely you will stop people such as hospitals ringing you. One idea is to have rejected calls routed to voice mail and then have a message sent to you if there has been a call.

Michael Chare
Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Sat 22-Jun-19 20:22:05
Print Post

I had it with Sky and found it very good, I then changed to VM and had many nuisance calls daily, god knows how I get car insurance with all the accidents I've been in according to them lol.
I use BT cordless phones with Call Guardian, they do work but can be boring typing in the number that your allowing to get straight through, they don't block hospitals, emergency services or doctors surgeries, they are automatically whitelisted. TBH it didn't take that long to whitelist numbers as most call me on my mobile except for my parents and hospital/doctor which you don't need to enter anyway.
I eventually got a solution for me that worked 100% and that was to change to VOIP and bought a number from yay.com that was totally obscure and not had one nuisance call since.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Jun-19 08:05:00
Print Post

I've had a Truecall unit for several years. You can set it up to bar unknown or international callers but the default mode is to play a message to them asking them to give their name. The unit then plays that back to you and you choose whether to accept the call, reject it or reject and it block it forever.

You also give it a list of known callers and they get through straight away.

There is also a code you can tell people that will always bypass the unit.

Most spam callers will hear the initial recording and give up then and there. It's extremely unusual for spammers or marketers to bother giving their name. I think in the six or seven years I've owned the unit its happened twice. The technology is also available on some of BT's phones.

https://www.truecall.co.uk/

Worth every penny.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 23-Jun-19 09:05:58)

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Jun-19 08:30:55
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Yep, Truecall gets my vote too. Not one spam call in the last six months.

Standard User lexden16
(committed) Sun 23-Jun-19 08:39:06
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I agree that this type of configuration works. I have a Fritz!Box with 5 inbuilt answering machines. I direct all UNKNOWN callers to one of the answering machines. The phone doesn't ring but I get an e-mail informing me that there has been a call along with a link to any message that has been left. Genuine callers are happy to leave a message. The system also allows me to divert and/or block any unwanted callers. Having an unlisted VOIP number also helps.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Jun-19 09:29:12
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmangt4:
I had it with Sky and found it very good

Sky's system is excellent, very similar to the Truecall system mentioned by other people here. The fact that Sky's system is exchange-based means it's particularly good for people with phones in extension sockets.

Oliver.
Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Sun 23-Jun-19 09:46:17
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
In reply to a post by gmangt4:
I had it with Sky and found it very good

Sky's system is excellent, very similar to the Truecall system mentioned by other people here. The fact that Sky's system is exchange-based means it's particularly good for people with phones in extension sockets.

Yes I totally agree, I never really appreciated until I moved to another supplier and had to buy phones with it built in, now I'm on an obscure VOIP unlisted number and its great!
Standard User helpoort
(committed) Sun 23-Jun-19 18:15:56
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Thanks for all your replies to my query.
All interesting. I have a answer machine connected up, but I do pick up most of calls, then it is TOO LATE.
thanks again
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Mon 24-Jun-19 18:28:25
Print Post

You may find the thread below interesting:

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/t/4619462-...

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612 & Billion 7800N or BT Business Hub 6A: 80/20 synch. Online since 1987. Apples & Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
  Print Thread

Jump to