General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User doorsandcorners
(newbie) Tue 09-Jul-19 13:24:12
Print Post

How to request a new broadband cabinet?

[link to this post]

We have consistently poor broadband service, primarily as we are over 2 miles from the nearest cabinet. Had the provider engineers out numerous times , but ultimately are always told it is due to distance from the cabinet. Any ideas on how we push to get a completely new cabinet installed at our end of the village (nb we are just by the M25 not up a mountain in the middle of no where..)?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jul-19 13:42:24
Print Post

Re: How to request a new broadband cabinet?

[re: doorsandcorners] [link to this post]

If it isn't in anyone's current plans for upgrade then it would be via the community broadband route and you (and your neighbours) would need to fund it. First step would be to campaign in your local area to see how many people would be willing to contribute to the costs for getting it installed.
Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 09-Jul-19 15:06:55
Print Post

What sort of speed are you currently getting as that may help others to come up with some suggestions on how you may be able to improve your internet access (e.g USO, 4G)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 09-Jul-19 16:45:48
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

< 3mps. The bigger issue is it is so intermittent. Often < 1mps (below the gtee'd minimum under my contract), but not consistently. Lots of drop outs ( hardwired streaming radio has cut out approx 4 times in the last hour). 4G is faster, but I have over 12 months left on my broadband contract and would prefer that it actually functioned.Hence the request to understand how to push to get a new cabinet.
(newbie) Tue 09-Jul-19 16:47:50
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

How would I find out if it is actually on a plan or not - via Openreach? Everything I've seen talks about fibre rollout which is of no use to me, I'm struggling to find cabinet plans?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jul-19 17:11:23
Print Post

Someone here might pop up that could check for you. However, as you are so far from your cabinet it is unlikely that BT will do anything other than FTTP (which could be years away) unless your local authority are doing something - you could check with your LA to see if they are.

The USO will give you the ability to request 10Mbps when it launches but that could well just be via 4G anyway.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jul-19 17:13:57
Print Post

Some additional information would be of help to those who might be able to help.
1) Are you on ADSL2+ or VDSL, I suspect ADSL2+?
2) Cab number and exchange?

Note that if you are on ADSL2+ it is the distance to the exchange that is the rate determining link,not the distance to the cab since for ADSL the DSLAM is in the exchange rather than the cabs.

A number of us posting here have gone down the community partnership route but does require people working together and can be expensive. If BT has no current plans to upgrade and there aren't other viable suppliers then the USO due from March 2020 should bring some relief.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Jul-19 17:17:24
Print Post

If you start a community fibre project now the thrust will be to do it with FTTP i.e. the FTTP where ever possible now, i.e. those VDSL2 cabs that are appearing still are ones planned and started a year or more ago

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Jul-19 17:18:29
Print Post

NOTE: Delivery time if you paid them today to do a VDSL2 cabinet (or paid for FTTP roll-out) is around 12 months i.e. you have to fit in an existing work schedule that is pretty full already

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Tue 09-Jul-19 17:45:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Its ADSL2+ . Exchange is Otford (approx 3.5 miles away), cabinet 8 ( according to BT data). Could I please ask you to explain why it is exchange distance rather than cabinet (the cabinet has FTTC I believe), thanks
Standard User Realalemadrid
(member) Tue 09-Jul-19 18:23:27
Print Post

Because as MCM stated ADSL2+ is supplied by equipment in the exchange, but FTTC is from the cabinet so much higher speeds are available (if the cabinet is close) smile
Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 09-Jul-19 18:32:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
Someone here might pop up that could check for you. However, as you are so far from your cabinet it is unlikely that BT will do anything other than FTTP (which could be years away) unless your local authority are doing something - you could check with your LA to see if they are.

The USO will give you the ability to request 10Mbps when it launches but that could well just be via 4G anyway.
If the OP has enough neighbours who are also below 10Mbps then they maybe able to collectively spent the multiples of £3,400 on an in fill cabinet
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Jul-19 18:39:08
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

Cabinet is down by the station so outside the village, probably station was first phone line many many years ago.

Cabients have been done so far under the Kent BDUK project but last one was in phase two back in 2018 on that exchange and nothing obviously in the pipeline

Which means if they did anything now would be FTTP based. If VDSL2 was used then would need 3 or more cabinets to get everyone above superfast threshold

Other options in Kent beyond a community fibre solution are people like Vfast or Callflow

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jul-19 19:27:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by doorsandcorners:
Its ADSL2+ . Exchange is Otford (approx 3.5 miles away), cabinet 8 ( according to BT data). Could I please ask you to explain why it is exchange distance rather than cabinet (the cabinet has FTTC I believe), thanks
Note that even if a cab is FTTC enabled this doesn't mean that all users on that cab will be on FTTC, moving to FTTC normally involves a new contract with possible a new service provider. Not that at 2 miles I would expect you see greater speeds than you are already seeing with your ADSL2+ connection.

Out of interest what does the BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your possible speeds on FTTC and ADSL2+?. Use your phone number, if it doesn't recognise your phone number (for example you are a TalkTalk customer) use the Address checker, enter your post code and then select your address from the drop down box. Do not use the Postcode checker.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Jul-19 19:40:39
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Or there are the Rural Gigabit vouchers as an option

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Tue 09-Jul-19 19:43:33
Print Post

Re: How to request a new broadband cabinet? *DELETED*

Post deleted by witchunt
(newbie) Tue 09-Jul-19 21:40:54
Print Post

This is very interesting, I hadn't heard of them and it looks as though the area does qualify. I need to do a bit more research, but one to bring up at the next parish council meeting, thankyou! I recognize this isn't a particularly quick solution, but it could at least give us a longer term solution.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jul-19 23:03:08
Print Post

Are you on fibre currently or ADSL2+? Fibre might be worse than ADSL where you are...
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Wed 10-Jul-19 11:02:50
Print Post

Except Otford is the sort of rural that some civil servant in Whitehall who has probably never left London things is rural, and where they actually to go to somewhere that was rural would have a heart attack from the shock. It's a 20 minute walk and that's being generous as it is less than a mile from Otford to a large Sainsburys on the outskirts of Sevenoaks. That is not remotely rural and the idea that it should qualify from government subsidy because it is rural is frankly an outrage to people who like in actual rural areas.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Jul-19 12:09:30
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

So if Otford is not rural is it urban? And by what definition does it count as urban?

Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 10-Jul-19 15:23:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
Except Otford is the sort of rural that some civil servant in Whitehall who has probably never left London things is rural, and where they actually to go to somewhere that was rural would have a heart attack from the shock. It's a 20 minute walk and that's being generous as it is less than a mile from Otford to a large Sainsburys on the outskirts of Sevenoaks. That is not remotely rural and the idea that it should qualify from government subsidy because it is rural is frankly an outrage to people who like in actual rural areas.
Sounds a really nice place with the best of both worlds, given the choice I would choose it over Glasgow.

Edited by dect (Wed 10-Jul-19 15:23:40)

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 10-Jul-19 20:46:56
Print Post

I'm guessing your somewhere in the Redlands Road, Cockerhurst Road or Shacklands Road area. The properties around there are too sparse to make a cabinet viable even with co-funding. Only viable option would be FTTP or wireless from Well Hill possibly. N.B. I think Well Hill has a couple of Callflow cabs.
I haven't tried 4G when passing through but doubt it's great out there
Standard User jabuzzard
(member) Thu 11-Jul-19 10:26:39
Print Post

You are working under the faulty assumption that there is a binary choice between urban and rural, or that everything that is in the "countryside" is rural. It is distinctly not rural, the population density is way to high and it is less than a mile from a large supermarket.

So we could say for example that it is suburban. That would be a far better description than rural.

I would note that if this is rural then you could claim Arthur's Seat is rural, except that is in the middle of Edinburgh!!!
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Thu 11-Jul-19 10:32:57
Print Post

The village itself is urban but the exchange area does cover a significant rural area which I suspect is where the OP is located. No easy walk to a shop let alone a supermarket
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Jul-19 11:39:03
Print Post

We use the ONS definitions which are resolved down to the postcode level and in this case picking random postcode on High Street it comes up as a Hamlet

With rural and urban definitions they can be argued forever, hence why its normal to work to the ONS set to make comparisons with other datasets easier. If the consensus is that the ONS has it all seriously wrong and needs to re-do its classifications then that needs lobbying for.

Standard User Swac3
(newbie) Thu 11-Jul-19 19:22:51
Print Post

The bad joke in all of this is that the allocation of the title rural or urban, doesn't necessarily impact on the costs of any solution be that FTTC or FTTP.

94% of Scotland is classed as rural depending on which of the area breakdowns you use, But that doesn't mean that a small rural town with 2000 properties are magically more expensive to do than a 2000 home urban area right in the centre of a large town.

The terms are thrown around as and when they fit the agenda by Gov and providers alike. When it really doesnt matter which you are its all down to the costs of deployment.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Jul-19 00:05:35
Print Post

Cab 8 is near Shoreham Station not Otford Station where the exchange is nearer.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Gadget
(committed) Fri 12-Jul-19 09:58:49
Print Post

[re: Swac3] [link to this post]

"But that doesn't mean that a small rural town with 2000 properties are magically more expensive to do than a 2000 home urban area right in the centre of a large town.
"

Actually it can easily - even assuming the population density for the 2000 is the same which would give comparable network to house costs there is still the matter of the backhaul which would tend to be more expensive for a "rural" 2000 than an urban one. This has little to do with anyone's agenda and more to do with the cost of making the deployment work.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-19 11:00:12
Print Post

[re: Gadget] [link to this post]

All boils to the planning and specifics of each area e.g. distance to handover or existing infrastructure that will be part used.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-19 11:03:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes Shoreham station to make it clear I do have cab 8 located at right place

Cab 2 is the one near Otford station

Fixed auto correct typo

Edited by MrSaffron (Fri 12-Jul-19 12:51:04)

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Fri 12-Jul-19 11:10:54
Print Post

Cab 2 is the one near Oxford station

Otford smile
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Jul-19 12:48:46
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Andrew had perhaps just a little too much champagne last night? smile)))
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-19 12:51:21
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

Auto correct problem fixed

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-19 12:51:41
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

1 glass of champagne

Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Jul-19 13:00:25
Print Post

Shame, you deserved more.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 12-Jul-19 15:23:42
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Friday night in a few hours so will see if anything exciting in Aldi

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 12-Jul-19 23:59:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Friday night in a few hours so will see if anything exciting in Aldi
I don't think they have a broad brand coverage.

G'nite!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Jul-19 15:51:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

They have sold computers in the past!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Jul-19 16:09:33
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

I've heard of quantum computers, but not champagne computers smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Jul-19 17:55:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Skipped the proseco and just opted for the not exciting lager

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to