General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User doorsandcorners
(newbie) Tue 09-Jul-19 13:24:12
Print Post

How to request a new broadband cabinet?

[link to this post]

We have consistently poor broadband service, primarily as we are over 2 miles from the nearest cabinet. Had the provider engineers out numerous times , but ultimately are always told it is due to distance from the cabinet. Any ideas on how we push to get a completely new cabinet installed at our end of the village (nb we are just by the M25 not up a mountain in the middle of no where..)?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jul-19 13:42:24
Print Post

Re: How to request a new broadband cabinet?

[re: doorsandcorners] [link to this post]

If it isn't in anyone's current plans for upgrade then it would be via the community broadband route and you (and your neighbours) would need to fund it. First step would be to campaign in your local area to see how many people would be willing to contribute to the costs for getting it installed.
Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 09-Jul-19 15:06:55
Print Post

What sort of speed are you currently getting as that may help others to come up with some suggestions on how you may be able to improve your internet access (e.g USO, 4G)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Tue 09-Jul-19 16:45:48
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

< 3mps. The bigger issue is it is so intermittent. Often < 1mps (below the gtee'd minimum under my contract), but not consistently. Lots of drop outs ( hardwired streaming radio has cut out approx 4 times in the last hour). 4G is faster, but I have over 12 months left on my broadband contract and would prefer that it actually functioned.Hence the request to understand how to push to get a new cabinet.
(newbie) Tue 09-Jul-19 16:47:50
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

How would I find out if it is actually on a plan or not - via Openreach? Everything I've seen talks about fibre rollout which is of no use to me, I'm struggling to find cabinet plans?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Jul-19 17:11:23
Print Post

Someone here might pop up that could check for you. However, as you are so far from your cabinet it is unlikely that BT will do anything other than FTTP (which could be years away) unless your local authority are doing something - you could check with your LA to see if they are.

The USO will give you the ability to request 10Mbps when it launches but that could well just be via 4G anyway.
Standard User MCM
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Jul-19 17:13:57
Print Post

Some additional information would be of help to those who might be able to help.
1) Are you on ADSL2+ or VDSL, I suspect ADSL2+?
2) Cab number and exchange?

Note that if you are on ADSL2+ it is the distance to the exchange that is the rate determining link,not the distance to the cab since for ADSL the DSLAM is in the exchange rather than the cabs.

A number of us posting here have gone down the community partnership route but does require people working together and can be expensive. If BT has no current plans to upgrade and there aren't other viable suppliers then the USO due from March 2020 should bring some relief.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Jul-19 17:17:24
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

If you start a community fibre project now the thrust will be to do it with FTTP i.e. the FTTP where ever possible now, i.e. those VDSL2 cabs that are appearing still are ones planned and started a year or more ago

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Jul-19 17:18:29
Print Post

NOTE: Delivery time if you paid them today to do a VDSL2 cabinet (or paid for FTTP roll-out) is around 12 months i.e. you have to fit in an existing work schedule that is pretty full already

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Tue 09-Jul-19 17:45:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Its ADSL2+ . Exchange is Otford (approx 3.5 miles away), cabinet 8 ( according to BT data). Could I please ask you to explain why it is exchange distance rather than cabinet (the cabinet has FTTC I believe), thanks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to