General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Motormanical
(newbie) Sat 13-Jul-19 16:11:35
Print Post

Is cheap broadband ok?

[link to this post]

I'm looking to get a broadband connection for a holiday flat. It won't be used for gaming or streaming movies etc. Just need it for getting email and a bit of browsing.

My main home runs BT superfast and is great but the cheapest connection they do is £24.99pm at 10 Mb

However, i've noticed a lot cheaper offers. For example if you look at the broadband price list below, you can see the cheapest is the Post Office at just £15.90 at 11 Mb.

list of broadband prices

So the Post Office connection is slightly faster than BT but £9 pm cheaper!

Am I missing something? Has anybody had experience of using the Post Office broadband?

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Jul-19 16:36:11
Print Post

Re: Is cheap broadband ok?

[re: Motormanical] [link to this post]

What's the 4G mobile signal like there? A Three unlimited data/minutes/texts SIM is £11pm for 6 months then £22pm and tethering allowed. Swap your phone contract to it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 13-Jul-19 16:38:14)

Standard User GonePostal
(member) Sat 13-Jul-19 16:57:59
Print Post

If the 4G signal is satisfactory, Robertos's suggestion would also future-proof you should the place ever be offered as a holiday let. Looking at the experience in our village, such a let will often be taken over by a family with lots of devices and several people all looking to stream their own content. 10/11Mb download may well not meet their needs.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Jul-19 17:15:13
Print Post

Have you checked the speed estimate for the property, since the advert figure is just an average and what you will get may be slower or faster

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burble
(member) Sat 13-Jul-19 17:16:49
Print Post

If you are already a BT customer you could have FON or BT WIFI access, if someone else around the area of flat has FON or BT WIFI you can log into it, fine for email or limited browsing. For phones it would have to be a near nabour, for laptop a cheap WIFI antenna (£16) off eBay will pick up a signal from some distance.
Standard User Motormanical
(newbie) Sat 13-Jul-19 22:41:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

@RobertoS - not sure but that is a very good idea thanks. Iíll check next time im there.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Jul-19 23:30:16
Print Post

Post office has a bad reputation, same for Vodafone and SSE. I would stick to BT, Sky, TalkTalk, PlusNet, EE, Virginmedia.

I have used Sky, BT and TalkTalk, the internet was the same, the only difference was the customer service which I rank as number 1: Sky, Number 2: BT Number 3: TalkTalk.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Jul-19 18:45:29
Print Post

Re: Is cheap broadband ok? *DELETED*

Post deleted by bobble_bob
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Mon 15-Jul-19 20:46:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

its also worth looking at some of the pay as you go deals, so you only pay for the days you use it,
vodafone 'one' may be a good option
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 15-Jul-19 21:17:01
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

I don't know about Vodafone, but agree re your PAYG suggestion. However I also suggested the OP moved his main mobile service to this one, which removes that issue. It's also why I didn't recommend the Three Home MiFi router+SIM, which is something you can take anywhere with you.

I'm still a bit confused by the OP. It appears to be either a holiday flat they own but do not rent out a lot of the time to recover costs, or a commercial rentable holiday flat that doesn't already have broadband. My experience is that most places I rent on holiday have broadband, some of them even having FTTP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to