General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jul-19 00:08:57
Print Post

Re: Is cheap broadband ok?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Agreed everywhere I rent has broadband, usually standard fibre 40/10 service. I have not rented anywhere with ADSL in the last 5+ years, it would put be off returning if the speed was below 10 to 20 meg. Even the tiny country rentals in the peak district / north yorkshire moors / lake district have all had 40/10, a couple had 80/20 and one rental had FTTP 330 download with BT which was a real treat.

If it doesn't list wifi on the features, I sort of expect it will have internet anyway, and usually does. I get super disappointed when there's nothing. I had an interesting one once, where they had an AP on the wall, which must have lead to their home broadband in another building (they lived over the field), and the AP brought a landing page to pay... That was annoying! I complained and they gave me their main router password so I spent my browsing in the window with 1 bar on the laptop, and then made the laptop a repeater using the windows 10 functionality. It was acceptable overall.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 16-Jul-19 00:11:12)

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jul-19 13:04:48
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

If a family is on holiday then maybe going out and about would be more beneficial.

Four users would not need any more than 10mbps for small devices.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Jul-19 14:25:55
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

I went to Bude in Cornwall last year and they had a TalkTalk service that was fairly slow. The TV in the house had the ability to stream Netflix and we had 4 smartphones and an iPad. The service was barely usable and I spent most of the time on 4G rather than their WiFi. We went out and about every day but still had times in the evening where we wanted to relax after a busy day and not having decent Internet access was a pain.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sheephouse
(member) Wed 17-Jul-19 17:27:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I don't care about broadband/WiFi when I'm on holiday - I'm much more concerned about poor broadband when I'm at home. Lots of the places I want to holiday just have no good broadband available (just like home), but you can't blame the holiday-let owners for that.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Jul-19 02:24:00
Print Post

Itíll be down to distance from exchange, not all Talktalk lines perform poorly. I had 80/20 sync and no issues with them in London.
Standard User Drweb21
(newbie) Thu 18-Jul-19 04:23:31
Print Post

Re: Is cheap broadband ok? *DELETED*

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jul-19 08:43:47
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Yes, wasn't blaming TalkTalk it just happened to be a TalkTalk line - the owners had chosen to go with ADSL rather than VDSL and must have been some way from the exchange.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jul-19 08:44:36
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

That's great but others do like to use the Internet when on holiday - for one thing it is great for doing some research about the local area to find good things to do.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Jul-19 11:19:44
Print Post

Do your research before you go or try an Information Office. Lots of places have leaflets piled high on local attractions. Too reliant on technology.

Good grief! What would happen if we went back a few years and had to talk to each other, play games, etc.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jul-19 12:04:12
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

You seem to see it as very black and white - holiday should equal no Internet. You can actually have a good family holiday that is enhanced by the ability to use the Internet at various times. We didn't just all sit around on our phones not talking to each other.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to