General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Motormanical
(newbie) Sat 13-Jul-19 16:11:35
Print Post

Is cheap broadband ok?

[link to this post]

I'm looking to get a broadband connection for a holiday flat. It won't be used for gaming or streaming movies etc. Just need it for getting email and a bit of browsing.

My main home runs BT superfast and is great but the cheapest connection they do is £24.99pm at 10 Mb

However, i've noticed a lot cheaper offers. For example if you look at the broadband price list below, you can see the cheapest is the Post Office at just £15.90 at 11 Mb.

list of broadband prices

So the Post Office connection is slightly faster than BT but £9 pm cheaper!

Am I missing something? Has anybody had experience of using the Post Office broadband?

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Jul-19 16:36:11
Print Post

Re: Is cheap broadband ok?

[re: Motormanical] [link to this post]

What's the 4G mobile signal like there? A Three unlimited data/minutes/texts SIM is £11pm for 6 months then £22pm and tethering allowed. Swap your phone contract to it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 13-Jul-19 16:38:14)

Standard User GonePostal
(member) Sat 13-Jul-19 16:57:59
Print Post

If the 4G signal is satisfactory, Robertos's suggestion would also future-proof you should the place ever be offered as a holiday let. Looking at the experience in our village, such a let will often be taken over by a family with lots of devices and several people all looking to stream their own content. 10/11Mb download may well not meet their needs.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 13-Jul-19 17:15:13
Print Post

Have you checked the speed estimate for the property, since the advert figure is just an average and what you will get may be slower or faster

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User burble
(member) Sat 13-Jul-19 17:16:49
Print Post

If you are already a BT customer you could have FON or BT WIFI access, if someone else around the area of flat has FON or BT WIFI you can log into it, fine for email or limited browsing. For phones it would have to be a near nabour, for laptop a cheap WIFI antenna (£16) off eBay will pick up a signal from some distance.
Standard User Motormanical
(newbie) Sat 13-Jul-19 22:41:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

@RobertoS - not sure but that is a very good idea thanks. Iíll check next time im there.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Jul-19 23:30:16
Print Post

Post office has a bad reputation, same for Vodafone and SSE. I would stick to BT, Sky, TalkTalk, PlusNet, EE, Virginmedia.

I have used Sky, BT and TalkTalk, the internet was the same, the only difference was the customer service which I rank as number 1: Sky, Number 2: BT Number 3: TalkTalk.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 15-Jul-19 18:45:29
Print Post

Re: Is cheap broadband ok? *DELETED*

Post deleted by bobble_bob
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Mon 15-Jul-19 20:46:20
Print Post

its also worth looking at some of the pay as you go deals, so you only pay for the days you use it,
vodafone 'one' may be a good option
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 15-Jul-19 21:17:01
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

I don't know about Vodafone, but agree re your PAYG suggestion. However I also suggested the OP moved his main mobile service to this one, which removes that issue. It's also why I didn't recommend the Three Home MiFi router+SIM, which is something you can take anywhere with you.

I'm still a bit confused by the OP. It appears to be either a holiday flat they own but do not rent out a lot of the time to recover costs, or a commercial rentable holiday flat that doesn't already have broadband. My experience is that most places I rent on holiday have broadband, some of them even having FTTP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jul-19 00:08:57
Print Post

Agreed everywhere I rent has broadband, usually standard fibre 40/10 service. I have not rented anywhere with ADSL in the last 5+ years, it would put be off returning if the speed was below 10 to 20 meg. Even the tiny country rentals in the peak district / north yorkshire moors / lake district have all had 40/10, a couple had 80/20 and one rental had FTTP 330 download with BT which was a real treat.

If it doesn't list wifi on the features, I sort of expect it will have internet anyway, and usually does. I get super disappointed when there's nothing. I had an interesting one once, where they had an AP on the wall, which must have lead to their home broadband in another building (they lived over the field), and the AP brought a landing page to pay... That was annoying! I complained and they gave me their main router password so I spent my browsing in the window with 1 bar on the laptop, and then made the laptop a repeater using the windows 10 functionality. It was acceptable overall.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Tue 16-Jul-19 00:11:12)

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-Jul-19 13:04:48
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

If a family is on holiday then maybe going out and about would be more beneficial.

Four users would not need any more than 10mbps for small devices.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Jul-19 14:25:55
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

I went to Bude in Cornwall last year and they had a TalkTalk service that was fairly slow. The TV in the house had the ability to stream Netflix and we had 4 smartphones and an iPad. The service was barely usable and I spent most of the time on 4G rather than their WiFi. We went out and about every day but still had times in the evening where we wanted to relax after a busy day and not having decent Internet access was a pain.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Wed 17-Jul-19 17:27:29
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I don't care about broadband/WiFi when I'm on holiday - I'm much more concerned about poor broadband when I'm at home. Lots of the places I want to holiday just have no good broadband available (just like home), but you can't blame the holiday-let owners for that.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Jul-19 02:24:00
Print Post

Itíll be down to distance from exchange, not all Talktalk lines perform poorly. I had 80/20 sync and no issues with them in London.
Standard User Drweb21
(newbie) Thu 18-Jul-19 04:23:31
Print Post

Re: Is cheap broadband ok? *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jul-19 08:43:47
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Yes, wasn't blaming TalkTalk it just happened to be a TalkTalk line - the owners had chosen to go with ADSL rather than VDSL and must have been some way from the exchange.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jul-19 08:44:36
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

That's great but others do like to use the Internet when on holiday - for one thing it is great for doing some research about the local area to find good things to do.
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Jul-19 11:19:44
Print Post

Do your research before you go or try an Information Office. Lots of places have leaflets piled high on local attractions. Too reliant on technology.

Good grief! What would happen if we went back a few years and had to talk to each other, play games, etc.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jul-19 12:04:12
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

You seem to see it as very black and white - holiday should equal no Internet. You can actually have a good family holiday that is enhanced by the ability to use the Internet at various times. We didn't just all sit around on our phones not talking to each other.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jul-19 16:40:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
You can actually have a good family holiday that is enhanced by the ability to use the Internet at various times. .

You can, but should we need someone letting out a holiday home to provide it? Or can we just use local places with WiFi or our phones data plan.

End of the day it's a personal choice. And to many not a deal breaker when booking a holiday.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 18-Jul-19 17:45:09
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

Plenty of places where phones don't have a good enough signal, particularly indoors in stone-built buildings. Also, in small towns and villages the WiFi areas are likely to be only close to pubs, not widespread around a village or small town.

ADSL2+ can be 1-3Mbps in such places. Which tend to be the nicest ones.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Jul-19 10:39:24
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

We don't need holiday homes to provide broadband. However, it is an option that search sites use for filtering and it is likely that holiday homes that don't have broadband will lose custom and may find in the future that they are unable to keep it a going concern without having broadband. You are obviously happy not to have broadband but if a large number of their customers consider it essential then they may go out of business.
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Fri 19-Jul-19 11:14:03
Print Post

if a large number of their customers consider it essential then they may go out of business

Unfortunately that may be true, but the owners don't always have better broadband available. It is just one more way in which rural areas are being increasingly disadvantaged.
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 19-Jul-19 16:14:55
Print Post

[re: sheephouse] [link to this post]

I think by taking custom elsewhere they meant another local holiday let that does provide broadband/WiFi (at whatever rate is available).

If I am looking at a holiday in the Lake District and a place doesn't have any free WiFi, I might look at other companies in that area.
I'm not going to change destination plans completely.

I'm not sure anyone picks their holiday location based on broadband availability so I can't see how rural areas are losing out.
Standard User DrBob
(newbie) Sat 20-Jul-19 16:34:42
Print Post

You may wish to check the price after the contract expires on all the deals before you call it cheap:
"Monthly price after 12 months: £30 a month.T&Cs apply."
Standard User Gabrel
(newbie) Fri 26-Jul-19 10:46:06
Print Post

No issues to choose the cheapest provider, but the most important factor is the quality of technical support and customer service of ISP.

Edited by Gabrel (Fri 26-Jul-19 10:48:28)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-Jul-19 11:17:39
Print Post

[re: Gabrel] [link to this post]

Surely the most important factor outside cost is that the service is good enough that one never needs to find out the quality of technical support or customer service?

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Jul-19 15:23:34
Print Post

True, although periodic contact will most likely need to be made due to Openreach's somewhat decrepit copper network.

Oliver.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Jul-19 16:00:28
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
True, although periodic contact will most likely need to be made due to Openreach's somewhat decrepit copper network.

Depends what you mean by periodic.... once ever 4 or 5 years?

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Jul-19 16:28:14
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Depends what you mean by periodic.... once ever 4 or 5 years?

Some copper is more decrepit than others!

Oliver.
Standard User Gabrel
(newbie) Sat 27-Jul-19 06:33:24
Print Post

Do you mean to say that one shouldn't need to find how is the technical support or customer service, if the service is good?

Save Greenery! Save Energy!!
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Jul-19 06:47:25
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In my case once in 17 years.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 27-Jul-19 09:18:54
Print Post

[re: Gabrel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Gabrel:
Do you mean to say that one shouldn't need to find how is the technical support or customer service, if the service is good?
No. I did not say that, nor did I imply it.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to