General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User scopio
(committed) Tue 16-Jul-19 16:16:49
Print Post

Looking at how this device can claim to boost Wi-Fi signal

[link to this post]

There seems to be a device wildly advertised in social media, newspapers and magazines media of a device, I won’t mention the make, that claims to boost the Wi-Fi signal even overriding the restrictions the ISP may implement to slow down you Wi-Fi signal. Of course, the adverts do not mention which technology you are using, in other words whether it is ADSL, FFTC, FFTP, etc.
What I would like someone with the knowhow, to explain how this device can boost the signal the coming down the line that ISP supplies?

PC Full Tower - Self Build OS Windows 10 64bit Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545 - OS Windows 8.1 Home Premium 32bit Stardock8
ISP was O2 All Rounder now PlusNet Unlimited Broadband SamKnows Whitebox connected on 14:02:2013
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13669...
http://speedtest.net/result/2668600210.png
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Jul-19 16:49:09
Print Post

Re: Looking at how this device can claim to boost Wi-Fi sign

[re: scopio] [link to this post]

Without knowing the device specifically this sounds like a classic sales person over selling something. There is one advert I've seen that I'd go as far to suggest is a scam.

Wireless boosters to increase the Wi-Fi signal strength in the home are readily available.
ISP do not slow down your Wi-Fi signal, the slow downs are due to things like poor kit (router or your device), interference, attenuation from walls and myriad other factors.

In short even if you boost your WiFi to deliver 400 Mbps in your home, the speeds to sites on the internet will still be constrained by the weakest link which if you have 400 Mbps WiFi is probably the ADSL or FTTC or cable or FTTP package.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User scopio
(committed) Tue 16-Jul-19 16:56:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you. Exactly what I thought. I am not going to mention the specific name of the device in case there could be legal problems for the forum or members mentioning it.
Your last paragraph is the answer I was looking for as I have had someone thinking, as advertised, that the device was able to override the signal supplied by their ISP.

PC Full Tower - Self Build OS Windows 10 64bit Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545 - OS Windows 8.1 Home Premium 32bit Stardock8
ISP was O2 All Rounder now PlusNet Unlimited Broadband SamKnows Whitebox connected on 14:02:2013

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Jul-19 17:31:09
Print Post

I would treat that device in the same way that you would treat the TV Antenna that claims it can pick up all the paid for channels, even the one's that cable co's provide. Then let you watch them for FREE....

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User KelvinBridge
(regular) Tue 16-Jul-19 20:09:14
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

The web page i use is https://forums.thinkbroadband.com

I've found the chaps there very reliable and not one of them have tried to sell me cheap malt whisky !!
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Wed 17-Jul-19 14:07:57
Print Post

If it is the one that I have seen the pictures are of a simple plug in WiFi repeater / range extender but the "article" is about someone in the States being told that his ISP deliberately slows down has internet speed by "splitting channels" and not letting him use all of them.

The device that he produced fixed this!

Entirely rubbish of course.

Interestingly I have just got a similar advert on the thinkbroadband.com home page! The one which offers "unlimited HD TV" at no cost! (I keep being logged out so I get the adverts - an issue with the cookies I assume).

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User scopio
(committed) Wed 17-Jul-19 14:12:19
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Yes I think we are talking about the same device.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Jul-19 14:34:26
Print Post

Oh blast, I think I found it. Anyway agree with the general consensus - this device is a sham (or at least the justification for it is). If they just sold it as a wifi extender they might get some sales.
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 17-Jul-19 14:40:48
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:
Interestingly I have just got a similar advert on the thinkbroadband.com home page!
I got that earlier... fascinating to read the linked page, pure gobbledegook grin

But to be fair- if you scroll to the end and read the disclosures, the site goes to some pains to disclaim all responsibility for what they are publishing!
(I keep being logged out so I get the adverts - an issue with the cookies I assume).
Could be the computer clock- read the note at the top of your "My Home" page.

Bill
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Jul-19 14:51:09
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Or either their browser set to clear cookies on being closed, or a similar clearout by scheduled scans.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to