General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User helpoort
(committed) Wed 17-Jul-19 17:04:06
Print Post

TO THE MOON AND BACK

[link to this post]

Received a phone call yesterday and today the 17th July.
FROM VISA SECURITY, a female informed me that a £600.00 transaction was about to be transacted on my Visa account and to PRESS ONE.
So we can go THERE but not STOP this type of call.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Jul-19 17:55:15
Print Post

Re: TO THE MOON AND BACK

[re: helpoort] [link to this post]

Maybe another way to look at it might be ...

Some were clever enough to help man go to moon and back ...

Some were clever enough to avoid an obvious scam ...

Standard User burble
(member) Wed 17-Jul-19 21:49:03
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Have had a dozen or more of the back end of this type of scam call on the answer phone over the last few weeks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Jul-19 06:07:33
Print Post

[re: burble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burble:
Have had a dozen or more of the back end of this type of scam call on the answer phone over the last few weeks.

Iíve a call blocker phone .... Iíve not had any.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Jul-19 11:54:17
Print Post

I just don't get them full stop, but then my home phone is not connected

Adrian

Desktop machine Ryzen powered with windows 10 , reluctantly.

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Jul-19 13:52:46
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Most cunning

Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Jul-19 14:57:45
Print Post

How does a "call blocker" stop a new number calling? I thought you had to block a number manually.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Jul-19 15:10:49
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

If the caller does not announce themselves, it rejects the call.

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Jul-19 15:49:20
Print Post

+1

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User mikejp
(committed) Sun 21-Jul-19 08:08:07
Print Post

I'm interested in how that works, Zarjaz - sounds clever. Suppose I ring you and when challenged I say 'Visa Security Department'?

What happens then?
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Jul-19 09:02:50
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

Well you still have the option to refuse the call, and even block the number.

I certainly wouldnít answer a call from someone announcing themselves as ĎVisa Security Departmentí and hope you wouldnít either.

Standard User mikejp
(committed) Sun 21-Jul-19 09:14:00
Print Post

Out of interest, how would the ĎVisa Security Departmentí (or similar) get in touch with you if you wouldn't even answer?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 21-Jul-19 10:33:49
Print Post

The phone system announces who they claim to be when you start to listen to the call. Only then do you decide whether or not to accept the call, always allow it, drop it, or drop it and ban the number.

It would be the card issuer, not Visa. Iíve forgotten how they call, as itís years since that happened. I think you get a message to call them and have to find the number off their website or from a card statement.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 21-Jul-19 10:38:15)

Standard User busterboy
(member) Sun 21-Jul-19 11:32:11
Print Post

Best thing I ever bought. laugh

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ig6exbk42b0pywt/phone.jpg?...

BTBroadband
Standard User mikejp
(committed) Sun 21-Jul-19 12:47:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Indeed, Rob, just trying to point out it is not the panacea for all ills - you could still be 'fooled' into answering if the announced name is relevant to you. Also, how does it work with 'ansaphones'?

The system I use is caller display and to block all undeclared incoming numbers and not pick up on any '00' incoming unless I am expecting.a 'foreign' call. Works 98% of the time. Also a bit cheaper! There is NO simple cure-all answer to the problem, but a bit of intelligence eliminates most. The others I am quite rude to.......they do not call back...

I DO appreciate, by the way, "It would be the card issuer, not Visa." - it was ONLY an example!!
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Jul-19 15:04:21
Print Post

No, itís not a panacea, but it sure helps.

If the card issuer (or whoever) genuinely needs to get in touch, they could leave a message, or try again later ....

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-Jul-19 18:04:39
Print Post

[re: helpoort] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by helpoort:
Received a phone call yesterday and today the 17th July.
FROM VISA SECURITY, a female informed me that a £600.00 transaction was about to be transacted on my Visa account and to PRESS ONE.
So we can go THERE but not STOP this type of call.
What a silly comparison. This is a common mental failure known as a false analogy.

And in any case something like the Trucall unit can stop these calls and it's been available for several years now.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 21-Jul-19 18:06:17)

Standard User burble
(member) Sun 21-Jul-19 22:07:00
Print Post

I have caller display and a answerphone, a glance across at the display will tell me if I know the caller, if I don't it usually goes to answerphone, but sometimes I'm expecting a call but not sure what the number might be, I don't think I've ever seen a scam call with 00, they always spoof what they think is a UK number, but most times get it wrong. If it's an actual person calling (I'm guessing here) they hang up when it goes to answerphone, if it's an automated call by the time the answerphone starts to record it's halfway through message.
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Jul-19 09:27:06
Print Post

But the number may be spoofed to a correct number so how does it work in that instance?

Just trying to find how people deal with these issues.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Jul-19 10:47:53
Print Post

Get yourself a TruCall phone. As another poster said, money vet well spent ..

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Jul-19 14:09:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadband66:
But the number may be spoofed to a correct number so how does it work in that instance?

They don't arise. Oh it's possible but how would a scammer find my Dad's phone number in order to spoof it to trick me? And if you only white list personal contacts such a ruse won't work. I know the voices and habits of everyone on my TrueCall white list so you're not going to be able to scam me that way.

All companies have to go through the Whisper functionality whether I know them or not. But then again - who ever calls anyway these days? It's all done through email or possibly SMS. Companies know that telephone calls are a costly and inefficient way to communicate with customers. If you just blocked all but personal incoming calls it'd probably have little to no impact for most of us.

Truecall isn't perfect but it is very, very effective. I've owned one for over six years now and I think at most I've had half a dozen people that it didn't stop. A couple of them left their spiel when asked for their name (zapped within half a second) and the rest left their name and I ignored them. Most of them listen to the message and give up without bothering. I see them sometimes - the red light on the unit comes on..stays on for a few seconds and then goes out.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User burble
(member) Mon 22-Jul-19 17:11:03
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I seem to recall reading that I could create a white list for my TalkTalk line, with unreliable mobile coverage at home we need the landline for calls other than friends and family, so not something we could use, last week alone have had return calls from retailers, DEFRA, and NHS,
p.s. today whilst I've been at home making sure paperwork was ok for DEFRA we had at least half a dozen calls which where most probably scammers, as soon as answerphone kicked in they rang off, in amongst that we had a call from a unknown to us number, that was a genuine call which gf picked up as a message was being left.

Edited by burble (Mon 22-Jul-19 18:40:05)

(knowledge is power) Tue 23-Jul-19 17:36:19
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

"They don't arise"

Yes they do. We had a call, seemingly from our bank, with the correct bank number showing on the caller id.

The so called operative spent too long being overly friendly and trying to explain about a possible transaction that I twigged and told him that the call was being terminated.

So, how would your phone cope with that scenario?

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Jul-19 18:07:05
Print Post

Well my landline number isnít known to the bank, so if someone calls it claiming to be from my bank, then they get hung up on.

Standard User dect
(committed) Tue 23-Jul-19 22:28:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Well my landline number isnít known to the bank, so if someone calls it claiming to be from my bank, then they get hung up on.
Interesting you say that, I've had several people say to me that they've had emails from the tax office about a refund, I always say to them do the tax office know your email address then? they then scratch their heads and the penny finally drops that's its a scam.
Standard User dsergeant
(member) Wed 24-Jul-19 08:09:27
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Interesting you say that, I've had several people say to me that they've had emails from the tax office about a refund, I always say to them do the tax office know your email address then? they then scratch their heads and the penny finally drops that's its a scam.

If you do self assessment, like I do, HMRC DO have your email address (and also my mobile and landline numbers, used for log in codes). And as I do self assessment I know exactly how much money I owe them next January and that my tax account has no unexpected amounts appearing out of the blue.
Standard User dect
(committed) Wed 24-Jul-19 08:47:34
Print Post

[re: dsergeant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dsergeant:
If you do self assessment, like I do, HMRC DO have your email address (and also my mobile and landline numbers, used for log in codes). And as I do self assessment I know exactly how much money I owe them next January and that my tax account has no unexpected amounts appearing out of the blue.
Totally agree, They also have my email for self assessment that's why I always ask the question, For me I find it safer to logon through the personal tax home page if I want to check anything rather than open any emails that could be scams.

Edited by dect (Wed 24-Jul-19 08:48:19)

(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Jul-19 11:37:40
Print Post

That's not the point.

How does a phone automatically block a number especially if the spoofed calling number is a company's real number?

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Jul-19 15:12:53
Print Post

You said previously ....

But now you say ....
That's not the point.

How does a phone automatically block a number especially if the spoofed calling number is a company's real number?

You asked how people deal with it, several told you, but now you are querying how it technically works.

You donít seem to want follow others suggestions, so donít fret about how it works.

Cheapest option ? Unplug the phones.

(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Jul-19 19:40:01
Print Post

But what YOU stated wasn't helpful.

I was querying how a call blocking phone blocks calls (see my first post).
I don't want suggestions I want answers.

Again, how does one of these phones block calls?

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 26-Jul-19 19:54:18
Print Post

Magic software.

If the method were made public then the hack would follow within two days.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User dect
(committed) Fri 26-Jul-19 22:03:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by broadband66:
I don't want suggestions I want answers.
A forum is not the place to make demands, specially to those members who are very helpful.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to