General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 24-Jul-19 13:28:01
Print Post

Re: Lousy joints and cables hanging in water.

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I wasn't referring to the direct time an Openreach engineer would take. More to the fact that from the OP's description of the wiring, in particular the actual cabling specification, the whole job could be marked as faulty end user equipment.

It could not possibly be an Openeach (or one of its predecessors) installation. It sounds more like a DIY setup from a land-based "Openreach" termination.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 24-Jul-19 14:27:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If it is DIY then there will be problems, although I read it as though the OP believes it is OR/BT/telco installed.

Perhaps he needs to find out and confirm who owns or installed it and if not BT then run his own external Cat5e back to te demarcation point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Jul-19 16:49:44
Print Post

If itís anything like Caversham marina, the cables are strung along the sides of the floating pontoons people moor to. So these, and associated joints are often being hit by the boats, as these move up and down on their moorings.
The joints are there to provide flexibility in the network when other lines are needed.
The cables arenít left along the tops of the pontoons as these would be a trip hazard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 24-Jul-19 17:39:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by MarinaResident:
Some of the cable is not even BT. (I've been told it is railway signalling cable!)

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 24-Jul-19 18:04:56
Print Post

I did see that , however I read as though the OP believes the whole run is BT/OR responsibility. And iff you see some of te cable I have seen on BTGPO installs at times, nothing would be a surprise. I recently removed some "figure 8, 18/16 gauge solid conductor" from one location.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MarinaResident
(newbie) Wed 24-Jul-19 20:13:46
Print Post

Mine was a new installation and the engineer used the existing cable on the pontoons with a new short bridge. This includes the non-BT cable.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Wed 24-Jul-19 20:36:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
I did see that , however I read as though the OP believes the whole run is BT/OR responsibility. And iff you see some of te cable I have seen on BTGPO installs at times, nothing would be a surprise. I recently removed some "figure 8, 18/16 gauge solid conductor" from one location.

Back in the day gray coloured copper clad steel figure 8 drop wires where standard GPO install. Admittedly they stop using it a long time ago and most of it will have been replaced by now but it's not a bodge of any description.
Standard User Philce
(experienced) Thu 25-Jul-19 10:41:14
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jabuzzard:
In reply to a post by MHC:

Back in the day gray coloured copper clad steel figure 8 drop wires where standard GPO install. Admittedly they stop using it a long time ago and most of it will have been replaced by now but it's not a bodge of any description.

In looking at 3 drops of that cable going to neighbours houses from my window right now.

Another 2 have newer black drop cables run in parallel to the old grey, they didn't remove the old one when they put the new on.
Standard User MarinaResident
(newbie) Fri 26-Jul-19 10:20:38
Print Post

[re: MarinaResident] [link to this post]

Openreach were here yesterday and I had three operatives initially.

The fault was in the non-BT cable. A short length had been sitting behind a fender which wore the insulation through. The recent repairs had dislodged this part of the cable and it had fallen into the water. This cable has been replaced along with another so I have one less joint. I also now have a waterproof master socket which is waterproof.

The only problem after the line was reinstated was there was an exchange fault and there was 50 volts on the line but no dial tone and the diagnostics wouldn't work. I'm just waiting for the 10 Meg broadband limit to be removed.

That's for your comments which were useful but the engineers realised for themselves that it needed to be sorted out properly this time.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Jul-19 10:30:56
Print Post

[re: MarinaResident] [link to this post]

A short length had been sitting behind a fender which wore the insulation through.

the cables are strung along the sides of the floating pontoons people moor to. So these, and associated joints are often being hit by the boats, as these move up and down on their moorings.

Aww, come on, cause of fault accurately identified before the Openreach visit grin

Glad itís got sorted.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to