General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User clyde123
(member) Sun 28-Jul-19 13:03:02
Print Post

Re: Two fraudulent attempts to take over my phone line

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

What's the chances there's some poor sod somewhere tearing his/her hair out why Plusnet cancelled their new phone line ?
And maybe thinking about going onto a forum like this to find out how that could happen ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Jul-19 18:18:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If its a genuine person then the gaining provider should have their details, i.e. if when ordering you give details so bad they cannot get back in touch with you then what can a gaining provider do?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 28-Jul-19 18:26:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If its a genuine person then the gaining provider should have their details, i.e. if when ordering you give details so bad they cannot get back in touch with you then what can a gaining provider do?

Cancel hopefully - rather than attempt to repeat order?

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m - Sync history highest: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Mon 29-Jul-19 18:37:46
Print Post

I had a similar-ish experience with BT some years ago. Received letters and emails thanking me for ordering another business line with broadband, using my correct name. So I contacted saying it's an error so they cancelled and put a note on that account.

I then received more order confirmations 4 times 8-0.

Cancelled each one.

On the 5th occasion I found they had included for the first time a contact phone number for me that was not mine or even in the same county. Called number- to cut a long story short, it was the owner of a chain of hairdressing shops who had the same (rare-ish) name as me. He had been trying to order lines for a month and BT told him that he had cancelled each time. He had been pulling his hair out ( sorry) and was very grateful. I now have free haircuts if I want to drive 200 miles.

Neither he nor I received an apology from BT. So things can go very wrong, usually with surreal results. The ISPs systems seem to have no process for dealing with such errors.

Hope you get it sorted!

-.-. --.-
BT Infinity 2, HG612 & Billion 7800N or BT Business Hub 6A: 80/20 synch. Online since 1987. Apples & Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User Tizzie
(newbie) Mon 29-Jul-19 20:51:38
Print Post

This could be a genuine mistake. I have seen something similar when a friend of mine wanted to switch supplier for phone and broadband, and accidentally quoted the wrong phone number. She didnít know it was the wrong number because she didnít use it, and didnít have a phone plugged in, she had the leased line only so she could get broadband. One digit was incorrect, and it wasnít a valid number, so she sorted it out quickly. But if the number had been valid the new supplier would have tried to take over someone elseís number.

Be glad you werenít on holiday so you saw the letters in time to block the switch!
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to