General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 01-Aug-19 10:34:58
Print Post

Re: QUERY: slow non-fibre broadband 4x slower than min. spee

[re: andwan0] [link to this post]

Thatís a bit better, though itís amazing that support tell you one thing that is simply the opposite of correct. The system increases the SNR in order to decrease the speed, in order to reduce the number of errors. They have cause and effect the wrong way round smile.

That aside, your answer about wires that are attached to the faceplate is important. There is probably at least one that is no longer needed. Rather than tell you what to do at this stage, a photograph of the back of that faceplate, clearly showing where the wires connect, would be best, please smile.

The presence of those wires suggests there are extensions to somewhere in the house, but itís also possible someone has done a DIY installation of that socket. Thatís another reason for needing the photo.

You seem to say you have an extension plugged into the master. If that is a free-standing one from a shop it could be part of the problem. What is on it? The phone, the router, or both plus the filter?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 01-Aug-19 10:56:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
"SNR that is too high can cause errored seconds, which I can see at times on the line, these can cause slow sync speeds, slow through put and instability. "

What a pile of rubbish.

A high SNR margin is not going to cause errored seconds, in fact a lower margin is more likely to be a problem,

I was going to say something similar to yourself and RobertoS ... but got pulled away. I will add an extra comment for the OP too

If tech support were seeing errored seconds when running a 12dB SNR then it suggests there is additional interference at times and that a loss of sysnc had casued a reset which, when the noise went away, a 12dB margin was being seen, however, it could return.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User j0hn83
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Aug-19 13:29:29
Print Post

[re: andwan0] [link to this post]

The SNR graph looks like it could be from an Asus modem?

If it is an Asus I'd be trying another modem before anything else as the xDSL chipset in the Asus DSL range of modems is absolutely garbage.
The DSL settings page on those devices have a ridiculous number of potential settings that can dramatically affect the speed/stability of a line.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to