General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User derby13
(regular) Fri 02-Aug-19 18:36:34
Print Post

New cabling between exchanges?

[link to this post]

Hi all. I've seen Openreach guys doing quite a bit of work in underground chambers in my area recently. I've had a look on roadworks.org and there are dozens of works listed with the following description: "To route prove, cabling works and access to BT jointing chambers in footway, verge and carriageway on the BT network. Rolling works". They all seem to be along the main roads between the various exchanges in the area. I'm just curious about what's going on. Is it a sign of better services coming to the area, or is it just to increase capacity?

Thanks.
Standard User flilot
(learned) Fri 02-Aug-19 18:45:39
Print Post

Re: New cabling between exchanges?

[re: derby13] [link to this post]

Do you have FTTC in the area, how about FTTP? Could be cabling for one of those.

Carl
(regular) Fri 02-Aug-19 19:02:49
Print Post

[re: flilot] [link to this post]

We've had FTTC for years. No FTTP for a few miles.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 02-Aug-19 20:30:39
Print Post

Could be an alternate provider planning to use duct and pole sharing and so things are being tied up before their people start a roll-out

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Icaras
(experienced) Mon 05-Aug-19 07:35:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by derby13:
Hi all. I've seen Openreach guys doing quite a bit of work in underground chambers in my area recently. I've had a look on roadworks.org and there are dozens of works listed with the following description: "To route prove, cabling works and access to BT jointing chambers in footway, verge and carriageway on the BT network. Rolling works". They all seem to be along the main roads between the various exchanges in the area. I'm just curious about what's going on. Is it a sign of better services coming to the area, or is it just to increase capacity?

Thanks.

It could be exactly what you think. Fibre between exchanges.

For leased lines the fibre is daisy chained between local exchanges back to the nearest Metro Node.

Icaras
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Mon 05-Aug-19 12:26:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OR have been checking the ducts in my area recently - I did wonder whether they were going to do something about the EO lines here (FTTP maybe), but I now suspect that they are checking them for use by Gigaclear who should be starting in this area next year.
  Print Thread

Jump to