General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jimhoo
(newbie) Mon 26-Aug-19 13:57:54
Print Post

moving home and switching ISP at the same time

[link to this post]

Hello my mother is currently paying over the odds for bt broadband fibe (£75). She is moving house in 4 weeks time. I wish to move her to another provider at the time of her move.

When i tried to switch her to john lewis broadband and told them she was moving in a month they said it would be better to wait, cancel her BT broadband at her current address and join anew in the new property. Due to possible charges for switching address although she didnt give an exact cost or reason. However joining afresh from a new property i believe produces a £50 activation fee and possible charges from BT (shes out of contract with BT).

So what is the best solution to cancel her BT broadband and phone for when she is leaving and start a new provider for when she moves into her new property? Or alternatively would it be best to switch her provider now while she is at her current property. then transfer it to the new address as soon as it's activated? I believe she would have just about enough time for this. 2 weeks ISP transfer, then 2 weeks for the address move.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Aug-19 14:23:15
Print Post

Re: moving home and switching ISP at the same time

[re: jimhoo] [link to this post]

How does BT FTTC come in at £75/m, figuring that out is important too.
There must be a number of additional components such as anytime calls, mobile SIM and maybe TV package.

Simplest method is say goodbye to old provider at current address and start new provider at the new address

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Mon 26-Aug-19 14:54:53
Print Post

If it was me I would just cancel existing provider like I would if I wasn't moving home, I would then arrange a date for the services to cease.

I would then sign up to another provider at the new address under a new customer deal on any deal that's out there that suits you, many have an option when ordering like...I have already lived at this address for x months or I will be moving to this address...i would then arrange for my new supplier to go live on the desired date...if they dates are available.

I would though as posted earlier find out why its £75 per month, as it does seem expensive for just Broadband.

You never know, retentions might offer you a deal to keep your services for cheaper at the new address.

Edited by gmangt4 (Mon 26-Aug-19 14:56:07)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jimhoo
(newbie) Mon 26-Aug-19 16:17:52
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

yes she has extras - anytime calls, paper billing, 1571 answerphone charge. she wishes to keep anytime calls. when i rang bt they knocked off the charges for 1571 and paper billing and gave her a whopping £3 discount on top( about £12 total so it would be £62). so i said no thanks and decided renegotiating with BT was a lost cause.
Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Mon 26-Aug-19 17:42:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Simplest method is say goodbye to old provider at current address and start new provider at the new address

can get quite complex if she wanted to keep the current phone number
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 26-Aug-19 18:37:08
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

If wanting to retain number (did not see mention of that) and its possible i.e. not changing exchange area codes then staying with existing provider is the way to go, but need to get them to confirm whether any new minimum term will apply at the new property.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Aug-19 19:40:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by jimhoo:
yes she has extras - anytime calls, paper billing, 1571 answerphone charge. she wishes to keep anytime calls. when i rang bt they knocked off the charges for 1571 and paper billing and gave her a whopping £3 discount on top( about £12 total so it would be £62). so i said no thanks and decided renegotiating with BT was a lost cause.

Not much of a saving. A new customer is charged £54.99 on a 24 month deal. Go via Quidco & get £135 cashback & a £60 gift card from BT (will not inc calls & 1571) just get a answerphone & save the 1571.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User broadbandjockey
(member) Tue 27-Aug-19 11:58:43
Print Post

Crucial question, does she want to keep her landline number ? If yes, I say it was a high risk strategy to attempt a change of supplier at the same time ?
Standard User jimhoo
(newbie) Tue 27-Aug-19 12:15:07
Print Post

[re: broadbandjockey] [link to this post]

she would like to keep her number when moving. However if she moves with BT she will be forced into another 12 month contract. So is there not a way to retain her number and switch provider while moving?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 27-Aug-19 13:10:40
Print Post

Not that I recall.

The way to do it would be to move the number to a voip service and break all the physical ties of number to location.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to