General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User beefcakechipz
(newbie) Sun 08-Sep-19 12:43:26
Print Post

Question about sky+hd Box and dns

[link to this post]

Up until 3 months ago i have always been able to stream/download movies /boxsets via sky+hd box. I dont understand why but since changing from my isp dns to https://1.1.1.1/dns/ im now able to stream again.
Before i switched to 1.1.1.1 sky movies downloaded at 1.5meg since switching they now download at 20+meg.
I have netflix from smart tv and this has never been affected it always worked fine on isp dns ips.

Anyone have any idea why ?

Edited by beefcakechipz (Sun 08-Sep-19 12:46:23)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Sep-19 13:13:03
Print Post

Re: Question about sky+hd Box and dns

[re: beefcakechipz] [link to this post]

Before i switched to 1.1.1.1 sky movies downloaded at 1.5meg since switching they now download at 20+meg

Have you got the speeds the wrong way around, as this reads like speeds for downloads have improved since you switched.

Assuming things are slower now, most likely is Sky was spotted the Sky box requests via its DNS and serving content from a faster source. Using the external DNS is skipping that intercept and maybe being sent to a different box.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 08-Sep-19 13:39:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi mate

When i was on isp dns and downloading movies they would only download at 2meg and would not go any faster.
Then i read that other people had same issues on sky forums, someone said to try switching dns to 1.1.1.1
As soon as i switched dns ip sky movies were now downloading at 20 meg

i dont understand how changing dns ip speeds up my sky downloads ?

Its only the speed from sky servers im talking about, my internet speeds are 62/15 daily wink

Edited by beefcakechipz (Sun 08-Sep-19 13:41:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 08-Sep-19 13:53:04
Print Post

Ah so why has speed changed...

All down to how Sky manages traffic and/or with a different DNS server you may be being sent to a different server

e.g. it may be that if you use Sky DNS you end up on a content server for a region that is very busy, but by luck the other DNS is resolving to an IP address somewhere else that is not so busy.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sun 08-Sep-19 14:10:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes i explained this to sky and they blamed my isp, and my isp (idnet) said my connection was fine with no issues my internet has always worked fine with all other devices netflix etc...
Something changed at sky in last 3 months, i wonder if they are trying to screw up the old boxes and hope people like me using them will jump to the newer sky Q box.

Edited by beefcakechipz (Sun 08-Sep-19 14:14:32)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Sep-19 14:11:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by beefcakechipz:
i dont understand how changing dns ip speeds up my sky downloads ?

Your Sky+HD or SkyQ box asks the DNS server for the IP address of the server for downloads by name. In the same way your web browser asks the DNS server for the IP for google.com or forums.thinkbroadband.com

MrSaffron's guess is that you are using Sky as your internet provider, and they have set up their DNS server to reply with the IP address of a server that is slow. (its either broken, or deliberately slow).

MrSaffron also guesses that because you change the DNS to 1.1.1.1 (which is operated by CloudFlare) when your Sky+HD or SkyQ box asks for the IP address, it is given a different IP address for a different server.

This server is faster.

If you are not using Sky as your internet provider, then talk to your internet provider.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
(newbie) Sun 08-Sep-19 14:18:01
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I spoke to idnet and they said there is nothing wrong with my connection but they also dont suggest anything other than there is nothing wrong ... goodbye! ....... so whos at fault are idnet dns servers playing up or skys ?

Edited by beefcakechipz (Sun 08-Sep-19 14:21:03)

Standard User gmangt4
(regular) Sun 08-Sep-19 14:37:05
Print Post

I must admit I can't remember the last time I used any ISP's DNS servers when on home broadband, I always use 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 as secondary, my guess is that IDNet's DNS are a bit flaky, videos on you tube on an xbox for example showing same symptoms you had, game downloading slowly on ISP DNS (not IDNet), changed XBox DNS to 8.8.8.8 and game download maxed out his connection.
Don't think IDNet's poor customer service is unique to them, have you tried Virgin's? Not even worth calling them lol
(newbie) Sun 08-Sep-19 14:51:02
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

Maybe its time for a change in isp crazy

Can i ask why is it that people prefer to use third party dns over your isp dns ?

Edited by beefcakechipz (Sun 08-Sep-19 15:07:28)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Sep-19 15:42:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by beefcakechipz:
Maybe its time for a change in isp crazy

IDnet generally have good customer service, over the usual mass market choices so that is a surprise.

Can i ask why is it that people prefer to use third party dns over your isp dns ?

I use Quad 9 on 9.9.9.9 and their website explains why you might want to use them:
https://quad9.net/
I personally don't use CloudFlare or Google as they only want us to use them for the data they can get from this.

Normally it is better to use your ISP as many Content Distribution Networks (CDN's) are optimised when DNS queries come from the ISP.

I suspect in this case there is a fault with some Sky owned hardware.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to