General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Alucidnation
(member) Sun 08-Sep-19 16:14:12
Print Post

Re: Question about sky+hd Box and dns

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Must admit, that after swapping mine for 1.1.1.1, things have become a little snappier than the ISP DNS.

Draytek 2862.
Standard User beefcakechipz
(newbie) Sun 08-Sep-19 19:11:11
Print Post

I suspect in this case there is a fault with some Sky owned hardware.

Maybe on sky side as sky replaced my dish and box and cables last week for free! And it didn't fix it until i changed the dns. Atleast i got free replacements wink

Edited by beefcakechipz (Sun 08-Sep-19 19:13:00)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 08-Sep-19 22:49:44
Print Post

[re: beefcakechipz] [link to this post]

On a slightly related point, Sky routers now rewrite DNS packets so that if you change the DNS servers on your PC to another provider's, DNS queries are still answered by Sky.

You can circumvent this by using a VPN or encrypted DNS.

In reply to a post by beefcakechipz:
Can i ask why is it that people prefer to use third party dns over your isp dns ?

By and large, ISP DNS servers are as good as any other, but some DNS providers offer other features like ad-blocking. Some also offer parental control & malware blocking, but again, most ISPs offer in-house solutions for this too these days.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Sep-19 00:59:15
Print Post

Likely to be your ISP not Sky at fault. I have a SKY fibre connection and have never seen your issues.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Sep-19 04:39:58
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
On a slightly related point, Sky routers now rewrite DNS packets so that if you change the DNS servers on your PC to another provider's, DNS queries are still answered by Sky.

Ouch, that's not nice. Another reason to avoid Sky as an ISP!

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Sep-19 09:11:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Ouch, that's not nice. Another reason to avoid Sky as an ISP!

I've always found Sky to be a decent ISP, but I agree this move is questionable. Rewriting DNS packets is a good idea for enforcing their DNS-based parental control system, but there should be an on/off toggle in the router's GUI.

Oliver.
Standard User danielhyde
(learned) Mon 09-Sep-19 10:01:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Maybe its time for a change in isp crazy

IDnet generally have good customer service, over the usual mass market choices so that is a surprise.

Can i ask why is it that people prefer to use third party dns over your isp dns ?

I use Quad 9 on 9.9.9.9 and their website explains why you might want to use them:
https://quad9.net/
I personally don't use CloudFlare or Google as they only want us to use them for the data they can get from this.

Normally it is better to use your ISP as many Content Distribution Networks (CDN's) are optimised when DNS queries come from the ISP.

I suspect in this case there is a fault with some Sky owned hardware.

I'm not sure where you get your information from but one of the key benefits of Cloudflare's DNS is that they don't record your information.
See extract below taken from their website:

"We will never log your IP address (the way other companies identify you). And we’re not just saying that. We’ve retained KPMG to audit our systems annually to ensure that we're doing what we say.

Frankly, we don’t want to know what you do on the Internet—it’s none of our business—and we’ve taken the technical steps to ensure we can’t."

Website
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Sep-19 13:49:02
Print Post

[re: gmangt4] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmangt4:
I must admit I can't remember the last time I used any ISP's DNS servers when on home broadband, I always use 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 as secondary, my guess is that IDNet's DNS are a bit flaky, videos on you tube on an xbox for example showing same symptoms you had, game downloading slowly on ISP DNS (not IDNet), changed XBox DNS to 8.8.8.8 and game download maxed out his connection.
Don't think IDNet's poor customer service is unique to them, have you tried Virgin's? Not even worth calling them lol
Nowt wrong with IDNet's DNS servers that I've noticed. My Sky Q box downloads content plenty fast enough.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Sep-19 13:55:13
Print Post

Yes i explained this to sky and they blamed my isp, and my isp (idnet) said my connection was fine with no issues my internet has always worked fine with all other devices netflix etc...
Something changed at sky in last 3 months, i wonder if they are trying to screw up the old boxes and hope people like me using them will jump to the newer sky Q box.
To be fair, now that it's matured it is a better box, especially if you need the extra tuners. I'm often recording four or five things at the same time during the evening. Having access to Netflix through the box is nice as well.

The only thing that irks me is the UHD support. They still haven't decided which version of HDR they are going to support and they still only allow you to have UHD if you go multiscreen (which I don't want or need).

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Sep-19 15:44:33
Print Post

[re: danielhyde] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by danielhyde:
See extract below taken from their website:

That is good to know. Not sure I trust them (I run my own caching DNS) but having a decent policy helps.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to