General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Sep-19 00:02:10
Print Post

Re: Question about sky+hd Box and dns

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
In reply to a post by jchamier:
Ouch, that's not nice. Another reason to avoid Sky as an ISP!

I've always found Sky to be a decent ISP, but I agree this move is questionable. Rewriting DNS packets is a good idea for enforcing their DNS-based parental control system, but there should be an on/off toggle in the router's GUI.

Sky as an ISP are very bad, well they were when they bought BE, on BE we had a very stable +6Mbps on ADSL 2+ no reconnects nothing (brother used that for work stuff), Sky took over and our connection dropped to 2.5Mbps and Sky saying that's all our line could handle.

Our BE connection was our spare backup connection for when out Zen (main) connection (which moved to BT) went down which at the time was hardly, so we use to just swap back and forth when using the internet.

When brother moved out (he took his Zen Connection with him, hence the move to BT) we dropped that BE -> Sky connection due to not paying all that when Sky limits your connection by over half its speed.

So overall Sky are rubbish as an ISP also as a TV Provider, they charge so much for their HD Services and their boxes die on you over time and to get a new one you have to renew for another 12 to 18 months, and their support staff try all the tricks in the book to keep you there for another year.

Paul

BTBroadband - Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus + FVA
Exchange Name: Ilford Central (LNILC) Cabinet: 24
TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Sep-19 10:57:18
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

So you wonít be migrating to Sky FTTP by the end of the year then? wink

Fluidata FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Openreach 4+2 ONT Huawei HG8240
Netgear RAX200 AX11000
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Sep-19 18:03:24
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Sky have also changed their Sky Go viewer and it demands that, when using windows 7, Aero display is enabled. This uses more CPU and RAM.

Sky are changing things for the sake of it!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Sep-19 18:30:13
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

I thought if Aero was disabled that Windows disabled the GPU and hence any "protected path" from the software to the display.

Without protected path, Sky Go won't play on any device. Hence why you can't "cast" Sky Go content on a mobile, or even connect an HDMI cable. Very irritating.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Sep-19 20:25:50
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
So you wonít be migrating to Sky FTTP by the end of the year then? wink

Erm, NO LOL

Paul

TBB Speedtest IPv4 | TBB Speedtest IPv6 | Ookla Speedtest (Single Threaded) | Linksys WRT 3200 ACM (BQM)
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Sep-19 20:32:54
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I thought if Aero was disabled that Windows disabled the GPU and hence any "protected path" from the software to the display.

Without protected path, Sky Go won't play on any device. Hence why you can't "cast" Sky Go content on a mobile, or even connect an HDMI cable. Very irritating.

Most media content providers require HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) to be enabled for their players to work, that's why when we stream from our consoles etc we have to disable HDCP and that causes a load of media software to not work.

I know Netflix was one that requires it.

Its to stop you from recording it via HDMI etc.

Paul

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Sep-19 23:52:54
Print Post

Thatís what I thought didnít work on Win7 without aero desktop.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Sep-19 00:04:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yeah, some cheap HDML Splitters (not supporting HDCP) also cause the players to fail to play those types of content too.

Paul

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 11-Sep-19 20:52:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
So overall Sky are rubbish as an ISP also as a TV Provider, they charge so much for their HD Services and their boxes die on you over time and to get a new one you have to renew for another 12 to 18 months, and their support staff try all the tricks in the book to keep you there for another year.
I've been a subscriber since before Sky+ existed. The only box failure I ever had was my first Sky+ when the disk failed. It was out of warranty and they charged £50 and sent someone out with a replacement. It was actually a better box. Sky have never ever required subscribers to renew their contract to get a fault fixed. I don't know how you've come up with that but - sorry - it's utter [censored]. Of course they might offer to renew/upgrade your contract in exchange for waiving the call out fee but that's just good business sense and if you enjoy the service it makes sense to you as well. The terms of their replacement service are damn' good. Who else would sell you a set top box and then repair/replace it forever for just £50 each time (it might be higher now, £65 possibly)?

With Sky Q it's different. We no-longer own the boxes. When we're done with the service we have to give them back. But now if they fail there is no repair cost. We just call up and within a day or two a replacement box is installed.

I haven't heard many bad things about them as an ISP and if I didn't need a static IP address I'd switch to them tomorrow and save even more money.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?...

"the Sky call out charge is £60. That's to fix your Sky TV. Doesn't matter what's wrong with it, what has to be replaced, whatever - £60. If they waive it, they waive it, and your repair is free. It's not your job to tell them what's wrong."

What is your complaint?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Wed 11-Sep-19 21:02:28)

Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Sep-19 00:29:03
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

We have been with sky when the only had 2 or so channels on Astra when it was analogue, so we have been with them right from the start.

With our Sky Boxes, we have had one HDD fail (loud clunking and high pitch screeching), 3 PSU die on us requiring all new caps to be replaced (not paying £249 for another one and that's skys discount with +12 resub), one card reader failed after 2 weeks.

The only discount we got was where we live in a conservation area we had to move our dish to the back of the house so that you cannot see it.
Sky said some high stupid price to take down and re-install, we said forget it and to cancel all our boxes and then we was put on hold where we was then told £5 for it, we said ok, and we got a brand new full install.

Now all those bad boxes, we now get the lockups on all 4 HD boxes all at the exact same time (within 10 mins) so Sky must be causing this, this issue requires a full unplug and plug back in.

Sky have never ever required subscribers to renew their contract to get a fault fixed. I don't know how you've come up with that but - sorry - it's utter [censored].

Well I am sorry to say that you are very incorrect here, I know what we was told on the phone and that we had to resub before they would even progress to the ordering of the new replacement box that we still had to pay for.
That was why I repaired our boxes when the caps in the PSU went.
There was no callout even offered, we was just offered a new box, which was sent out in the post and we had to install it.

When we have issues with our boxes and phone them up, Sky are all apologetic etc and then try to sell Sky-Q on us for more than what we are all ready paying which is way too much as it is.

Also Sky-Q sound good on paper but to have a single point of failure i.e. the main box with the drive on it.
I would of rather of have a HDD in each box, not a fan of all mini boxes having access to all recordings, but saying that it could come in handy if a movie is recorded and can watch in all rooms with a mini box.

But all those years we have been with sky, the only discount we would get if we was to move over to Sky-Q was a one off £30 discount, REALLY SKY.

But yeah, I think the move with Sky owning the boxes was a good move on their part, they would never of done that with their HD Boxes due to they die all the time or have loads of issues like the Ethernet Port stops working and fails until once again a reboot.

As them as an ISP, back when they brought BE they was very rubbish, didn't care about us users that was on BE, so we dropped then as soon as we could.
Maybe they have gotten better, I wouldn't know and don't plan to know.

Don't get me wrong, when everything works its all good, like with everything, but you just get some people that work at Sky that just have a bad attitude and you get treated like [censored] even though you are being polite and just trying to get an issue resolved.

Paul

Edited by PaulKirby (Thu 12-Sep-19 00:32:28)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to