General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-19 16:31:06
Print Post

Re: Question about sky+hd Box and dns

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
DDNS works great for incoming, but not so good for connecting outbound.

Keeping an IP address static for the purposes of home-working via a corporate firewall is generally outside the scope of what is within the T&C of home broadband providers.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 14-Sep-19 16:43:32
Print Post

This is true.

However, if making a living in programming or any serious IT support working from home, the extra cost of a decently set up connection by taking a business one with BT or ANO would seem to be wiser than penny-pinching.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-19 16:57:16
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
DDNS works great for incoming, but not so good for connecting outbound.

Keeping an IP address static for the purposes of home-working via a corporate firewall is generally outside the scope of what is within the T&C of home broadband providers.

Why do you say that? Surely if an ISP offers static IP (and of course many do not) then there is no difference in the connection to a dynamic IP. Other than it remains the same. (It is of course EASIER for the ISP, once they realise this, for an always on internet connection. That was BE's logic).

I have a Plusnet static IP because of my hobbies, and connecting through firewalls that I configure for my hobbies. No money involved, and this is nothing to do with my employer. Does that break T&C ?

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)
20 years of broadband from 1999's ntl:cable modem trial - Live BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-19 16:58:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
However, if making a living in programming or any serious IT support working from home, the extra cost of a decently set up connection by taking a business one with BT or ANO would seem to be wiser than penny-pinching.

Depends if you're self employed, and hence (might) make a lot of money, or you're an employee of a very large multinational IT company that pays below market rates. (most of them).

I don't agree there is any guaranteed link between static IP and working at home for a large company. It could be a reason, but it is not the only reason. Some ISP's are wrong in this respect. By its nature, IPv6 will not be dynamic, and eventually the whole stupid idea of paying for a Static IP goes away.

People seem to think a dynamic IP is a security feature. Er.... they're wrong.

plusnet 80/20 (2/jun/14) at 470m; high sync history: 64/9 (Sep/17), 54/6 (Jan/19), 51/6 (Mar/19), 47/6 (Aug/19)

Edited by jchamier (Sat 14-Sep-19 16:59:34)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 14-Sep-19 17:02:33
Print Post

I was talking about Paul's setup in particular, where it would seem the extra cash for a business connection looks to me to be not of huge significance compared to the overall cost.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
If you never think of anything off the wall, you'll never think of anything original.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-19 17:03:34
Print Post

By its nature, IPv6 will not be dynamic

Not correct, the IPv6 prefixes handed out by BT and Sky are not static.

Oliver.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-19 17:10:48
Print Post

I have a Plusnet static IP because of my hobbies, and connecting through firewalls that I configure for my hobbies. No money involved, and this is nothing to do with my employer. Does that break T&C ?

No. But the main reason for people wanting a static IP address will most likely be when they work from home and their employer wishes to put one, and only one, hole in their firewall for them.

Home applications such as remote monitoring webcams, or even hosting a local web/mail server are easily handled by DDNS.

I can see why ISPs do this as a form of "soft" discouragement from using home broadband for commercial purposes, even though in reality this is rarely if ever enforced within the T&C.

Oliver.
Standard User dect
(committed) Sat 14-Sep-19 17:31:25
Print Post

the main reason for people wanting a static IP address will most likely be when they work from home and their employer wishes to put one, and only one, hole in their firewall for them.
Interesting, these employers I would think are likely to be small companies as most of the multinationals I know provide RSA tokens either physical or app based (e.g. blackberry/Android) and have done so for the last 20 years.

Edit: You also can't take a static IP address on the road, so no good on the train or at a hotel.

Edited by dect (Sat 14-Sep-19 17:34:23)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-19 17:35:40
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
Interesting, these employers I would think are likely to be small companies as most of the multinationals I know provide RSA tokens either physical or app based (e.g. blackberry/Android) and have done so for the last 20 years.

Do both for maximum security. Opening a server to the entire internet when it only needs to serve specific clients is an unnecessary risk.

Oliver.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Sep-19 17:37:43
Print Post

Opening a server to the entire internet when it only needs to serve specific clients is an unnecessary risk.

Opening any hole in a firewall is a calculated risk. Using a properly configured VPN provides authentication, authorisation and ongoing data authenticity. Vastly superior to a hole in a firewall to a Static IP - that could be spoofed.

The idea a static IP is a security feature is madness.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to