General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User paulb100
(member) Fri 08-Nov-19 20:46:51
Print Post

Help with lag on online gaming for nephew

[link to this post]

Hi all

my nephew who lives in a mad house of 5 is on Origin ADSL, but he gets lags all the time as his mother and sister facebook on mobiles while netflix is going on the TV.,.. ive told him his best options is to get a 2nd line installed for £130 and pay £24 a month for his OWN broadband with Plusnet wired in straight into his room...but... if this isnt an option whats next?

would a gaming router help? they use the supplied pap and they are all on the wifi too

as xDSL uses thousands of channels over 'x' Mhz cant gaming routers cap off certain "tones" just for the gamer?
edit: ive been told this is not possible and gaming routers are more snake oil than anything else with just more options and better QoS (which I enabled in their pap router months ago no change)

any help is appreciated

thanks

Edited by paulb100 (Fri 08-Nov-19 21:18:41)

Standard User MoM
(newbie) Fri 08-Nov-19 22:34:15
Print Post

Re: Help with lag on online gaming for nephew

[re: paulb100] [link to this post]

Its going to be the connection is maxing out with the streaming media going on, a faster connection (FTTC etc) with more bandwidth or a separate line would be the best way to go
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Nov-19 23:20:09
Print Post

Gaming router will not help as generally need a faster connection for them to be of great use.

A different connection dedicated for the purpose of gaming.

OR

Upgrade to fibre/fttc/vdsl2 assuming much better speeds than ADSL and then a router with QoS (which is what a gaming router needs to be) to limit the impact of other users activity and gaming should be less affected.

>as xDSL uses thousands of channels over 'x' Mhz cant gaming routers cap off certain "tones" just for the gamer?
Tones is referring to the DSL signal and gaming routers/QoS do not work by segmenting the dal tones. Rather they work at the TCP/IP level and manage the volume of traffic from any signal task and can give priority to things like UDP packets which are commonly needed for online gaming

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MoM
(newbie) Fri 08-Nov-19 23:31:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Tones is referring to the DSL signal and gaming routers/QoS do not work by segmenting the dal tones. Rather they work at the TCP/IP level and manage the volume of traffic from any signal task and can give priority to things like UDP packets which are commonly needed for online gaming

The tones are layer 1 maybe 2 more the physical layer than network.

The FTTC connection upgrade is the best thing to do though

Edited by MoM (Fri 08-Nov-19 23:32:34)

Standard User paulb100
(member) Sat 09-Nov-19 16:37:23
Print Post

[re: MoM] [link to this post]

thanks guys...i will tell them to upgrade to fibre and get a gaming router with QoS and a long Ethernet as they all use wifi

cheers
Standard User kevindb
(regular) Sat 09-Nov-19 16:37:24
Print Post

What bandwidths are being achieved by the ADSL connection? Also, have you considered running a broadband quality monitor on the connection so you can see what levels of latency & latency variation are being experienced?

Modern QoS solutions with clever queue management (CAKE for example) can achieve apparent miracles in the upstream direction. Downstream is always a bit more challenging as you're at the wrong end of the link and some of the ISP's shapers & buffering settings are decidedly sub-optimal but some control and host fairness can be implemented.

But for an example of what can be achieved with CAKE here's my 79/20 vdsl line with (believe it or not) a pretty much constant upstream backup going on at full chat - the point being, I can't tell when there's a backup going or not. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/...
Standard User paulb100
(member) Sat 09-Nov-19 16:42:37
Print Post

[re: kevindb] [link to this post]

16/1 I think....poor for that use I know
Standard User paulb100
(member) Sat 09-Nov-19 16:43:35
Print Post

[re: MoM] [link to this post]

but doesnt netflix and mobiles streaming videos use UDP too?

Edited by paulb100 (Sat 09-Nov-19 16:44:00)

Standard User ggremlin
(experienced) Sat 09-Nov-19 16:47:45
Print Post

it they all use wifi, then I suggest he installs an Ethernet cable to his gaming machine
Standard User paulb100
(member) Sat 09-Nov-19 16:49:44
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

im going to try that first...but inevitibly the 1Mb upload just isnt gunna manage with 2-3 phones, Alexa streaming and Netflix streaming
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to