General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Thoriffic
(newbie) Thu 21-Nov-19 08:43:07
Print Post

Advice needed for 'switching' broadband.

[link to this post]

Hi, I'm new here.

So what I have to say is more of a question on whether anyone has done similar to my plan...

Basically I'm in a broadband dead area. I can't get anymore than 10mb with anyone other than virgin. With them I'm able to get up to 200mb.

I've asked every year whether BT or Sky are upgrading the cables in my area and every year for the last five years has been the same "we're doing it soon".

Anyway, I'm tired of virgin ripping me off every year as they know I can't go anywhere else for decent speeds. Currently paying £44 a month for 108mb and constantly seeing ads everywhere for new customers paying half this price. Have tried every year to haggle a better price and this is the best I've managed.

So my plan:

It's currently in my wife's name, and I've got a plan to cancel the subscription and sign up as a new customer with my own name.
The thing I need to know is if I can do this seamlessly... We have a 4 year old boy who is autistic and relys very heavily on the TV(over the internet, Netflix/Amazon/YouTube etc) so any lengthy disruption would be disastrous as you could probably imagine.
Standard User hk11
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Nov-19 15:41:18
Print Post

Re: Advice needed for 'switching' broadband.

[re: Thoriffic] [link to this post]

Never tried it, but could you sign up before your wife cancels? wink

Keef- Sheerness Kent UK - Shell Energy BB via Technicolor TG582N

Previously - NowTV, Plusnet, Sky, EE, New Call Telecom/Fuelbroadband, Virgin/NTL/Bell Cable, Crosswinds, IC24, FreeOnlineNet, X-Stream, Totalise, Freeserve, Force9, TescoNet, AOL, Freenetname, Pipex, E7
===========

Edited by hk11 (Thu 21-Nov-19 15:43:28)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Nov-19 15:54:05
Print Post

[re: hk11] [link to this post]

You would need to avoid any cancellation charge. You could ring Virgin and make it clear that you wish to take over the connection at what ever the new price you have is.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mking90031
(regular) Thu 21-Nov-19 18:20:39
Print Post

Hi,

As an adult with High-Functioning Autistic who, pretty much, lives for TV I can relate to your son. I pay £99 / month for 500 Mb/sec broadband, all the TV channels including Sky Cinema & Sports (although I don't watch any sports what-so-ever), totally unlimited landline (which I don't use) & totally unlimited mobile phone SIM card. I am extremely good at negotiating deals with most companies. I just thought I would add a supporting voice to you.

HTH,

Mark King MCP
www.mark-king-basingstoke.co.uk
Virginmedia 541.32Mb/sec Down & 37.37Mb/sec Up (according to Speedtest.net W7 App)
Standard User Thoriffic
(newbie) Fri 22-Nov-19 09:18:52
Print Post

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll give them a ring first and see what they say.

And Mark, thanks for the support, I'm also high functioning and have my own reliance on TV, but I can live without it for a few days. Not sure my son could though bless him. We'll see what virgin says about my plan and if they can help.

Thanks again.
Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Nov-19 08:46:17
Print Post

£44pcm for high speed broadband, telephone and TV doesn't sound like a rip-off to me. That sounds like good value for money.

I'm paying £42 (Sky) and £48 (IDNet) and I only get 67Mb/s (although that's plenty for me).

I could reduce that by £20 by going with a cheaper ISP but I prefer to pay for quality and good support. Either way I think you're getting a good deal.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Thoriffic
(newbie) Mon 25-Nov-19 06:30:17
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Sorry, I forgot to mention. That's just internet and phone, no TV.
  Print Thread

Jump to