General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Stoatwblr
(regular) Wed 04-Dec-19 14:48:22
Print Post

IPv6 is optional according to ASA and OFCOM

[link to this post]

As we know, IPv6 is mandated to replace IPv4 and has been for several years - IPv4 was declared to be in obsolesence phaseout stages in 2015 with IPv6 part of the official Internet core since 2012

After finding that I can't reach increasing numbers of IPv6-only facilities and getting nowhere with my provider, I filed complaints with both OFCOM and the ASA on the basis that as IPv6 is a core Internet protocol, any company claiming to be an ISP and not providing it is engaging in misleading advertising.

Furthermore, I contended that companies which don't provide IPv6 are breaching the BSG code of open Internet practice, inasmuch as it is effectively an arbitrary filter on legally accessable internet content.

I pointed out that the companies in question HAVE IPv6 internally and up to their edge routers, but simply haven't bothered switching it on to consumers - and that they've been making misleading statements to users that "we're working on it, it'll be ready soon" for the last 8-12 years.

The ASA rejected that complaint on the basis that: Most consumers wouldn't consider IPv6 as part of their purchase decision, therefore it won't affect what ISP they go with. (I had put it to them that they SHOULDN'T HAVE TO)

OFCOM have rejected it on the basis that IPv6 is entirely optional in the UK and they regard IPv4 as sufficient.

Clearly there needs to be a paradigm shift forced on the "regulators" to make them face reality.

Do you want to stop spam, or do you just want to stop receiving it?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Dec-19 14:58:06
Print Post

Re: IPv6 is optional according to ASA and OFCOM

[re: Stoatwblr] [link to this post]

And who should enforce that "paradigm shift"? Ofcom believe it isn't a requirement in the UK which means I guess you need to lobby your MP/parliament to get it made into a legal requirement.

At present only techies have any real idea about IPv6 and why it is needed. The industry keeps finding new ways to keep the world running on IPv4 and so most consumers just don't have a need for it.

Most content that is available via v6 is also available via v4 because the providers know that a large number of consumers don't have the option. If we got to a point where Facebook, Instagram or Amazon weren't available on v4 then customers might notice but until then there is no real big shift. Most companies from what I see aren't making internal moves to v6 because the path has been made more painful that it could have been and there is little business benefit.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Dec-19 14:58:18
Print Post

Which massed appeal services are IPv6 only today?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 04-Dec-19 15:15:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Stoatwblr:
After finding that I can't reach increasing numbers of IPv6-only facilities
What are these facilities that one might assume don't want most people to be able to contact them?

Michael Chare
Standard User sheephouse
(member) Wed 04-Dec-19 15:15:58
Print Post

There are ISPs that provide IPv6, and there are technical solutions to access IPv6 resources over IPv4 - e.g. I use a L2TP service to obtain static IPv4 and IPv6 addresses over a 4G connection.
I would expect anyone sophisticated enough to require IPv6 would seek out such an ISP or other solution.
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 04-Dec-19 16:01:20
Print Post

I'm starting to think I'm missing out but really don't know what I'm missing out on laugh

IPv6 has been replacing IPv4 for as long as I can remember but I'm not aware of anything important that's only accessible via IPv6 (I'm sure someone will know of something that is).
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 04-Dec-19 16:14:41
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

I suspect some of the dark web. Not aware of a single mainstream site that is v6 only (mainly because it couldn't be mainstream if it was v6 only).

EDIT : Wow - this site purports to have a list of ipv6 only sites in order to get people to move to ipv6. They've managed to get up to the heady heights of 9 sites listed.

Edited by ian72 (Wed 04-Dec-19 16:17:15)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 04-Dec-19 17:18:50
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

That's giving me a 404 error Ian.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User dect
(experienced) Wed 04-Dec-19 17:38:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That's giving me a 404 error Ian.
Link looks like its got an unnecessary /q on the end.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 04-Dec-19 17:41:01
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

Thanks dect smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to