General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Scoot
(member) Wed 08-Jan-20 21:29:35
Print Post

Starlink (SpeceX)

[link to this post]

Hi All,
What everyone's opinions on Starlink satellites and a possible option to purchase broadband from them down the line? I have heard rumours that because these Sats sit in a lower orbit that the latency will/may even be good enough for gaming (probably not serious gamers) but still, way better than the current crop of satellite providers.

Is anyone interested or excited by the project, could it be a viable alternative to wired lines?

It's been years since I took a look at sat providers but the upload speeds and latency didn't really make it a viable option last I time I checked, have they come on much? will Starlink revolutionise the industry or is it not worth the hype?

Discuss laugh

I did search the forum surprised I didn't find another thread.

Edited by Scoot (Wed 08-Jan-20 22:07:27)

Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 09-Jan-20 18:28:00
Print Post

Re: Starlink (SpeceX)

[re: Scoot] [link to this post]

From what i've read

ping should be about 60-80ms which is much better than traditional sats which are usually 300+

Standard User craski
(committed) Thu 09-Jan-20 20:21:40
Print Post

Starlink in theory has huge potential but very little about pricing has been released. Mark Handley on YouTube has some superb insight into how the network could perform, well worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-k1j7M2-hBfXeECd9Y...

Zen Business FTTC BQM
Talk Talk Business FTTC BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andynormancx
(member) Mon 13-Jan-20 13:50:30
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

It should be much lower than that. More like 20ms and under.

They are much, much lower than geostationary satellites, at around 550km instead of 42,000km.

Even if you say the round trip distance is 3,000km (which it could possibly be if you get bounced *via a couple of satellites) the light delay is around 10ms.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1132903914586529...

* for those who don't know, the satellites route traffic to each other directly, so if the one you can see can't see the regional ground station your traffic gets beamed to a satellite that can
(member) Mon 13-Jan-20 13:57:22
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

Although it sounds like the first few thousand satellites won't have the inter satellite beaming hardware and will just rely on being able to see the user's ground station and the local Starlink ground station (as so will only operate in areas with relatively high population density).
Standard User epyon
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Jan-20 14:41:52
Print Post

[re: andynormancx] [link to this post]

Well lets see what happens i don't even get 20ms to london with pure fibre lol.

Vodafone FTTP - 500/500

ST - https://www.speedtest.net/result/8762732964
MT - https://www.speedtest.net/result/8762738246

VOXI - 4G

BSc (Hons) Cyber Security
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Mon 13-Jan-20 17:15:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by Scoot:
Is anyone interested or excited by the project, could it be a viable alternative to wired lines?

If everyone in the UK where to switch to it, then it would be overwhelmed, in much the same way that 5G would be.

The gold standard is and will remain FTTP, and we should not allow ourselves to be distracted from achieving this long term goal. We wired the UK with copper, we can wire it with fibre. The difference is the fibre is forever unless you are into quack science and believe in superluminal communication.
(member) Sat 08-Feb-20 17:49:37
Print Post

I spotted this very interesting YouTube video theorising on how things might work without the laser links between satellites (none of the currently launched satellites have ways of talking to other satellites in the system).

https://youtu.be/m05abdGSOxY
Standard User Swac3
(learned) Mon 17-Feb-20 09:12:24
Print Post

I'm not particularly a fan of the whole concept to be honest, far too much space junk and impact on future/current utilisation of space.

Still thats 'progress'
Standard User alexatkin
(member) Mon 17-Feb-20 18:39:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by epyon:
Well lets see what happens i don't even get 20ms to london with pure fibre lol.

Your speed tests say 11ms to Manchester. If it doubles to get to London then there is something seriously wrong with their network. tongue
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to