General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Jan-20 17:26:10
Print Post

Re: Is Broadband behind in the UK? (Speeds, phone lines etc)

[re: robbieglover2k7] [link to this post]

I don't remember all the Cable franchises but there were quite a few that had various buyouts and mergers and in the end Virgin took over all of them (and many of them were in poor financial state from what I remember). Again, the Virgin network is in a lot of areas much newer than the BT copper because the BT copper rollout was started decades earlier (over time much will have been replaced but so I suspect would be true of the cable network as sections get replaced due to age).
Standard User robbieglover2k7
(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 17:31:18
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
I don't remember all the Cable franchises but there were quite a few that had various buyouts and mergers and in the end Virgin took over all of them (and many of them were in poor financial state from what I remember). Again, the Virgin network is in a lot of areas much newer than the BT copper because the BT copper rollout was started decades earlier (over time much will have been replaced but so I suspect would be true of the cable network as sections get replaced due to age).

Yeah, thanks again Ian, you have a great insight smile

It is interesting to see how we evolved with all this for sure smile

Plusnet Broadband
Standard User dect
(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 17:31:45
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I don't remember all the Cable franchises but there were quite a few that had various buyouts and mergers and in the end Virgin took over all of them (and many of them were in poor financial state from what I remember).
The one I always remember from back in the day was Bell Cablemedia

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 17:34:26
Print Post

[re: dect] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dect:
I don't remember all the Cable franchises but there were quite a few that had various buyouts and mergers and in the end Virgin took over all of them (and many of them were in poor financial state from what I remember).
The one I always remember from back in the day was Bell Cablemedia

Bell Cablemedia, that's the one I've heard of smile

Yeah I think it was them who when the whole cable thing was coming around all the road works all over were as they were coming in, which I think then changed to NTL and later Virgin Media (maybe a few more in between I'm not sure).

When I said Bell in my other reply I wasn't sure if that was right so thank you for that dect smile

Plusnet Broadband
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Jan-20 17:54:28
Print Post

There were several "cable" suppliers in the UK, not just the ones mentioned already in the thread. They were generally geographically split.

Around here the installation of the cabinets and underground feed to a hole in the pavement outside each property was by Nynex. They were later bought by NTL.

AIUI the VM Cable broadband nationwide is actually NTL, licensing the Virgin trademark.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 18:01:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There were several "cable" suppliers in the UK, not just the ones mentioned already in the thread. They were generally geographically split.

Around here the installation of the cabinets and underground feed to a hole in the pavement outside each property was by Nynex. They were later bought by NTL.

AIUI the VM Cable broadband nationwide is actually NTL, licensing the Virgin trademark.

Yeah, I think there was a few more well known in certain area's than others weren't they?

I haven't heard of Nynex before but NTL seem to be quite well known smile

Plusnet Broadband
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Jan-20 18:11:05
Print Post

Similar to what I said, VM is NTL:Telewest, belonging in fact to Liberty Global plc.
Virgin Media Limited is a British company which provides telephone, television and internet services in the United Kingdom. Its headquarters are at Green Park in Reading, Berkshire. Since 2013, Virgin Media has been a subsidiary of Liberty Global plc, an international television and telecommunications company. The company was previously listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market and London Stock Exchange. Virgin Media is not a sister company of Virgin Mobile USA, which is owned by Sprint Corporation.

The company was founded in March 2006 by the merger of NTL and Telewest, which created NTL:Telewest. In July 2006, the company purchased Virgin Mobile UK, creating the first "quadruple-play" media company in the United Kingdom, offering television, internet, mobile phone and fixed-line telephone services. In November 2006, the company signed a deal with Sir Richard Branson to licence the Virgin brand for the combined business. All of the company's consumer services were rebranded under the Virgin Media name in February 2007.
The "Virgin" bit is just brand name licensing and nothing to do with Branson's Virgin other than that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Jan-20 18:23:58
Print Post

G.fast is a chocolate tea pot of a product ... end of. Brought in to massage the goals set by bean counters.

FTTP all the way I say.

It would have been here MUCH earlier if Thatchers government hadn’t put the kibosh on it.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Jan-20 18:32:09
Print Post

So according to you Virgin were ‘awful’ and yet as has been said, have a ‘newer network’ .... so that kinda stuffs your ‘Openreach network feels old’ hypotheses.

I still think
I'm talking about issue's and faults within the service when they occur and yes, nine times out of ten it's to do with line issue's as mentioned above (a lot of ISP's have told me this on the phone).
is debatable.

Standard User Andrue
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Jan-20 18:40:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by robbieglover2k7:
I honestly do feel we are lagging behind big time but like you say, it's the investment thing and this is probably why.
What service are you trying to access that is not available because of your connection?

The reason I ask is because the UK has been in the top ten of countries for per-capita internet use almost continuously for the last twenty years. Even now the countries above us are mostly small, densely populated countries (Denmark and Norway are the only ones really comparable to us and even then you're talking a couple of %ge points difference).

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/IT.NET.USER.ZS?...

According to that 95% of the UK population use the internet. Only 87% of the USA does wink

But returning to my original question: What service are you unable to access because of the speed of your connection?

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Mon 13-Jan-20 18:43:28)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to