General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robbieglover2k7
(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 18:42:16
Print Post

Re: Is Broadband behind in the UK? (Speeds, phone lines etc)

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
So according to you Virgin were ‘awful’ and yet as has been said, have a ‘newer network’ .... so that kinda stuffs your ‘Openreach network feels old’ hypotheses.

I still think
I'm talking about issue's and faults within the service when they occur and yes, nine times out of ten it's to do with line issue's as mentioned above (a lot of ISP's have told me this on the phone).
is debatable.

No it does not, look I'm not here for an argument so stop trying to criticise me on this.

Virgin were bad because they were ripping me off bill wise, nothing to do with speeds and delivery of their internet.

I appreciate if you can contribute kindly to the discussion.

Plusnet Broadband

Edited by robbieglover2k7 (Mon 13-Jan-20 18:43:12)

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 18:44:58
Print Post

[re: robbieglover2k7] [link to this post]

Add Videotron which was taken over cable and wireless.
Videotron had an early interactive tv service called Videoway. Sadly it never came to much.
(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 18:51:48
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
In reply to a post by robbieglover2k7:
I honestly do feel we are lagging behind big time but like you say, it's the investment thing and this is probably why.
What service are you trying to access that is not available because of your connection?

The reason I ask is because the UK has been in the top ten of countries for per-capita internet use almost continuously for the last twenty years. Even now the countries above us are mostly small, densely populated countries (Denmark and Norway are the only ones really comparable to us and even then you're talking a couple of %ge points difference).

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/IT.NET.USER.ZS?...

According to that 95% of the UK population use the internet. Only 87% of the USA does wink

But returning to my original question: What service are you unable to access because of the speed of your connection?

What do you mean what service am I unable to access because of the speed? smile

I'm talking about the way the internet is delivered to us as technology evolves and like things mentioned in the article's in my OP smile

It feels to me that the way of phone lines etc.. is an old, outdated way of being delivered, like we haven't advanced or evolved as opposed to everything else (we're playing catch up). The only reason landlines exist (in homes) is because of internet otherwise most people wouldn't have them and the majority of issue's tend to be from landlines when it comes to speeds and drop out's.

It reminds me of analogue TV as opposed to digital and how we were behind on that as opposed to most, it's 2020 now, we really are behind when it comes to still being on landline systems which is often problematic when it comes to disconnections, noise on the line etc. for a while.

I mean the technology we have now wouldn't have worked if we had stuck to dial up internet however we advanced then to what we have with broadband now and technology is advancing more to the point where I'm not sure landlines will be able to cater to them as we evolve.

Basically technology is evolving faster than our internet seems to be, there's a lot of articles and discussions about this but I don't want to link them as I'm not sure if you're able to link things here like that smile

Plusnet Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 18:52:22
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
Add Videotron which was taken over cable and wireless.
Videotron had an early interactive tv service called Videoway. Sadly it never came to much.

Oh wow, I'd not heard of that before smile

Plusnet Broadband
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 13-Jan-20 18:55:53
Print Post

Also, from my previous link:-
As of 31 December 2012, it had a total of approximately 4.8 million cable customers, of whom around 3.79 million were supplied with its television services (Virgin TV), around 4.2 million with broadband internet services and around 4.1 million with fixed-line telephony services.
As of mid-November we have these figures.

Add in the many smaller ISPs using the Openreach network via BT Wholesale, TalkTalk Business Wholesale and Daisy Communications, comparing VM's fault rate per annum with Openreach's rate per annum I think will show Openreach as somewhat the better of the two.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 13-Jan-20 18:56:30)

(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 19:24:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Also, from my previous link:-
As of 31 December 2012, it had a total of approximately 4.8 million cable customers, of whom around 3.79 million were supplied with its television services (Virgin TV), around 4.2 million with broadband internet services and around 4.1 million with fixed-line telephony services.
As of mid-November we have these figures.

Add in the many smaller ISPs using the Openreach network via BT Wholesale, TalkTalk Business Wholesale and Daisy Communications, comparing VM's fault rate per annum with Openreach's rate per annum I think will show Openreach as somewhat the better of the two.

Hi yeah, I'm not really comparing them, Virgin's isn't exactly the newest either just newer than what we have now.

It's more about us evolving in general in the way our internet is delivered to us, it's not going to be long where landline delivery is going to have to be upgraded to a much better technology or replaced.

Although it may be alright for people at the moment it's only a matter of time where it's just not capable of delivering the stability, reliability and speeds we need as we advance and it's already very temperamental as it is now.

Honestly, I do feel we are very behind when it comes to broadband/internet technology.

Plusnet Broadband
Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 19:53:25
Print Post

There are many companies busy installing FTTP across the UK now. Its going to take probably more than another decade to get anywhere near complete FTTP coverage, but the majority should have it available in the next 5 years or there abouts.
I dont feel we are that far behind our contemporaries. We may have started rapid deployment a little later than some, but i think we will finish in a similar position unless the government mess it up
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Jan-20 20:10:07
Print Post

I’m not after an argument either.

Your statement appears to be based on what various ISP’s have told you. I believe this isn’t the best source for reliable info.

Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Jan-20 20:14:22
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

What was that non-starter of a TV service that knocked around at the same time as the original USB managed installs ? It was certainly available in West London.

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Mon 13-Jan-20 20:29:32
Print Post

Homechoice
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to