General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robbieglover2k7
(experienced) Wed 15-Jan-20 13:01:55
Print Post

Re: Is Broadband behind in the UK? (Speeds, phone lines etc)

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
There are many companies busy installing FTTP across the UK now. Its going to take probably more than another decade to get anywhere near complete FTTP coverage, but the majority should have it available in the next 5 years or there abouts.
I dont feel we are that far behind our contemporaries. We may have started rapid deployment a little later than some, but i think we will finish in a similar position unless the government mess it up

I didn't know that in regards to the FTTP thing you mentioned, that's interesting yet great news at the same time.

I've always felt like we've been stuck on this thing with not much progression and this is what I mean about us eventually playing catch up, which I think we're close to doing now if we're not already.

The 5 year thing is good, as long as we get there then it's all good. They make a lot more work for themselves by being late because if it comes to the point where they've got no choice to do it due to playing catch up it's going to be a lot of work and a lot of upset from customers at that point for the frustrations of this.

I'm sure we are upgrading and progressing but it would be nice to see us move forward from this old way of land lines and whatever to something more modern, solid and reliable.

Sure, I realise this is a big job and cost, of course but it's something that I do feel is important as pretty much everything is run by the internet now.

Before we know it we'll need a broadband connection to turn our microwaves on haha smile

Plusnet Broadband
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Jan-20 13:03:34
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

Also, many people on these forums use VOIP. That implies a piece of kit that may even be a standard landline phone being connected in one way or another to the router.

VOIP supplies "landline" type phone services(+).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
(experienced) Wed 15-Jan-20 13:09:33
Print Post

[re: GonePostal] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GonePostal:
In reply to a post by robbieglover2k7:
. . . . but I don't know anyone for years who has used a landline phone in their homes, I can't even remember last seeing one which is what I mean by how they're only still around due to this reason (is this a benefit to BT, I'm not sure).

Perhaps if you expanded to horizons to areas where there is no mobile signal or considered a different age demographic to your own you might find a different answer.

Possibly, I won't debate that but if that is the case then shouldn't we be more advanced than that so people aren't in that position?

I have travelled all over the UK and know people up and down the country and no doubt most of these more times than not are cities and popular area's but even in the smaller area's I've still not come across anyone who has a phone in their house by their landline. I guess that's down to the mobile networks.

EE's 4G network reaches over 99% of the UK, as do O2 and I know Three said they offer geographic coverage to more than 91% of the UK so it's very rare.

Though if that if this is the case they also shouldn't really have to struggle with things.The population on a whole for the need of a landline in their house is very small (without the need for it being for broadband).

Plusnet Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User CarlTSpeak
(member) Wed 15-Jan-20 14:16:34
Print Post

[re: robbieglover2k7] [link to this post]

Is Broadband behind in the UK? (Speeds, phone lines etc)

Depends on the metric you're using. In the round no. Mid-table obscurity and climbing.

I've also heard that in the US their average internet speed is what we would pay additional or higher packages for and I'm not 100% sure how they have their internet delivered but I'm sure it's a much better, stronger and more reliable way than going through phone lines which does seem very old in regards to technology now for me.

Most of their broadband is cable. Most of the USA has a choice of one or two ISPs. Not network operators, ISPs. Verizon and AT&T got to build FTTP and keep it to themselves. They also got to immediately remove the copper from a property when they provided FTTP.

Canada - the incumbents there don't have to sell their top end FTTP products they can keep them to themselves.

Spain - Telefonica got to keep all their FTTP to themselves apart from ADSL 2+ speed services.

Population density changes, wholesaling requirements, streetworks regulations, etc, etc, etc.

The UK is doing alright all things considered and is, with some government assistance and Ofcom getting out of the way, accelerating progress. We also have very few nations we can compare ourselves to legitimately.

Building better networks, not just faster ones.

Edited by CarlTSpeak (Wed 15-Jan-20 14:21:58)

Standard User witchunt
(experienced) Wed 15-Jan-20 14:53:08
Print Post

Over 2 million households could have an FTTP connec now, and over 50% of the uk can have Ultrafast via one single cable operator, so i think we we are doing ok against out contemporaries
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 15-Jan-20 15:51:04
Print Post

[re: witchunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by witchunt:
Over 2 million households could have an FTTP connec now, .
smile
Is that native FTTP, which is the killer figure, or are you including FTTPoD which is not really relevant?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde
Standard User broadband66
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Jan-20 16:02:03
Print Post

You need to get out and speak to more people.

We and all my mates and relatives have and use their landline regularly. That's at least 25 people.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
(experienced) Wed 15-Jan-20 16:29:16
Print Post

[re: CarlTSpeak] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CarlTSpeak:
Is Broadband behind in the UK? (Speeds, phone lines etc)

Depends on the metric you're using. In the round no. Mid-table obscurity and climbing.

I've also heard that in the US their average internet speed is what we would pay additional or higher packages for and I'm not 100% sure how they have their internet delivered but I'm sure it's a much better, stronger and more reliable way than going through phone lines which does seem very old in regards to technology now for me.

Most of their broadband is cable. Most of the USA has a choice of one or two ISPs. Not network operators, ISPs. Verizon and AT&T got to build FTTP and keep it to themselves. They also got to immediately remove the copper from a property when they provided FTTP.

Canada - the incumbents there don't have to sell their top end FTTP products they can keep them to themselves.

Spain - Telefonica got to keep all their FTTP to themselves apart from ADSL 2+ speed services.

Population density changes, wholesaling requirements, streetworks regulations, etc, etc, etc.

The UK is doing alright all things considered and is, with some government assistance and Ofcom getting out of the way, accelerating progress. We also have very few nations we can compare ourselves to legitimately.

That's an interesting insight smile

If given the choice I would rather have a couple of decent ISP's who provide a good solid service than a choice of loads if you get what I mean, of course that's not the fault of ISP's here because a lot of them do provide a good service (Plusnet being one on a whole) but they can only provide what they do with the infrastructure they have but it is interesting.

That's some really great insight, I didn't know all that but it does sound like we are having some progression too which is great. Thank you for being so kind to add that smile

Plusnet Broadband
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 15-Jan-20 16:36:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Native FTTP is more like 3.47 million once you allow for all providers.

2 million would be just Openreach (and availability of FoD does not count in those figures - no matter how much some like to think it does)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(experienced) Wed 15-Jan-20 16:38:05
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
You need to get out and speak to more people.

We and all my mates and relatives have and use their landline regularly. That's at least 25 people.

Dude, I travel all over, I speak to a lot of people and I have friends and family all over the city I live in too. None of them have phone lines for an actual phone in the house, they're all on mobiles and have a line for internet only.

Maybe older people might still have landlines and not so much mobiles which is fair enough but on a whole it's really not popular and since 2012 it's had a rapid decline with half as much people using them. I haven't seen a landline in a home in years.

I guarantee give it another 5 or 10 years or so it'll be well gone in regards to plugging in bulky phone's in the house, I remember reading a few reports a couple of years ago how most people don't even know their landline number anymore.

Plusnet Broadband

Edited by robbieglover2k7 (Wed 15-Jan-20 16:39:58)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to