General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bowdon
(committed) Sun 02-Feb-20 13:10:23
Print Post

What is a new customer?

[link to this post]

I've been out of contract with BT for years, and I've no doubt I'm paying way over the odds for my service, especially when significantly faster services are being charged less than what I'm paying.

So if I was to attempt to re-contract with BT would I be considered a new customer, or would they still see me as an old customer?

BT Infinity 2 - ECI Cabinet
Standard User PaulKirby
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Feb-20 13:31:01
Print Post

Re: What is a new customer?

[re: bowdon] [link to this post]

Well you are still a customer to BT due to you are still paying them.

A new customer is an entity (a person, business, or other organization) that has not previously purchased one's goods or services.

So you will be classed as an old current customer, but you "should" still be able to get a good deal if you choose to resub.
Just phone them and explain that you are phoning to renew the sub and was wondering what the best deal they can offer you.

Please be aware that a resub will / may result in a 2 year contract.

Paul

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Feb-20 13:49:38
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by PaulKirby:
A new customer is an entity (a person, business, or other organization) that has not previously purchased one's goods or services.

My understanding is that a new customer is someone who is not currently utilising the services of said company, even if they have purchased their services previously.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Feb-20 13:57:52
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:

My understanding is that a new customer is someone who is not currently utilising the services of said company, even if they have purchased their services previously.
Or maybe has not been a customer for 12-18 months.The exact rule no doubt varies by ISP.

Michael Chare

Edited by Michael_Chare (Sun 02-Feb-20 13:59:26)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 02-Feb-20 14:10:11
Print Post

They will probably have, by some name or other, a “Retentions” department that existing customers are referred to if they ring CS saying they are intending to leave because they have got some other ISP deal they fancy.

Call them and quote some good deal you have found and say you will be going for that unless BT can offer you a better deal to stay.

Then haggle as much as you can, and don’t be afraid to say you’ll think about their offer and call them again. You aren’t in a rush smile. You might not get as good an offer as what you have found elsewhere, but it could well be better than just calling and asking for a deal.

This is what many people do every time they get to the end of their term.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Three 4G, tbb tests normally 35-45Mpbs down, 65Mbps off-peak, 9-24 up.
==================================================
"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." Oscar Wilde

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 02-Feb-20 14:11:19)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Feb-20 16:14:04
Print Post

Check your account online, there may be offers that are less than you pay now, but downside is tying you into a new contract term

For BT you need to not be a customer for over 12 months to count as a new customer

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jabuzzard
(committed) Mon 03-Feb-20 10:13:42
Print Post

[re: PaulKirby] [link to this post]

What my sister did when she was moving house and Plusnet was wanting a stupid amount for moving the account was to simply cancel and get her husband to open an account with Plusnet. Now admittedly it was a different address and the account was still in her maiden name but hey. What was amusing was that customer services representative at Plusnet was stupidly clueless not to understand that not offering them the same price to move as a new customer was actually going to cost Plusnet more money!

Anyway the take away even if it's the same address if you have a partner (who is legally a different entity) tell them get lost and have them take it over as a "new" customer, different person on the bill and I would use a different bank account too. It's a reason to keep a bank account in your maiden name if you get married, makes getting new customer deals much easier as you can ping pong between the two of you.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Feb-20 12:48:27
Print Post

[re: jabuzzard] [link to this post]

Good point, ordering at a new property (as opposed to requesting the service to be moved) is another instance where one is considered a new customer. It definitely makes sense to order as a new customer at the new property, although if one is under contract the cancellation penalty at the old property may not outweigh the savings at the new one.

Oliver.
  Print Thread

Jump to